Downsides Of Getting An Iphone

livinthailandos

I'm sure there are many posting on this but not sure about all the particular points though, if you are getting this phone just note the following

1. Unable to increase memory storage

2. What happens when your battery dies, can't replace it, and so far apple does not provide warranty to replace the iphone battery at least in thailand

3. Don't bother watching any online internet videos because apple does NOT support flash. ( NOTE i am unaware if someone has fixed this issue or not on the old iphones

4. pretty much stuck with itunes, yes i'm aware there are alternatives to this but not as smooth as itunes, ( NOTE could be wrong on this issue am currently be looking for good alternatives but i use on linux though

if you guys find any other issues you want to point out let me know

I'm sure there are many posting on this but not sure about all the particular points though, if you are getting this phone just note the following

2. What happens when your battery dies, can't replace it, and so far apple does not provide warranty to replace the iphone battery at least in thailand

3. Don't bother watching any online internet videos because apple does NOT support flash. ( NOTE i am unaware if someone has fixed this issue or not on the old iphones

4. pretty much stuck with itunes, yes i'm aware there are alternatives to this but not as smooth as itunes, ( NOTE could be wrong on this issue am currently be looking for good alternatives but i use on linux though

If you want a good looking phone with a nice screen then the Iphone is a great choice.

If u are a techie like me and like to customize, tweak, and run lots of applications on your phone then you probably won't like the Iphone.

I recently purchased a Samsung omnia (it's my 4th pda phone), and I think it's an excellent phone. Only phone I would rather have more is the Touch HD, but that phone costs over 2x what I paid for my Omnia.

Edited by ungcas

Like a Mac PC I'm not interested. They may look cool, and work flawlessly, but other than that it's all hype. If we want to do things the way we want to do and we need reconfigurability every which way but loose. We already have years of work and programs that run on a PPC, even if they do crash occasionally. Thats the downside of iPhones for me. Besides wont the i- prefix become passé in future once the politics of change take hold?

If u are a techie like me and like to customize, tweak, and run lots of applications on your phone then you probably won't like the Iphone.

You don't know what you are talking about, I am afraid. If you are a modder and tweaker, the iPhone offers endless possibilities once jailbroken. There are apps out there that do all sorts of insane hacks.

I just recently downloaded iBlacklist (free of course). It can turn off the "call forwarding" notification, which is my only gripe about the stock iPhone user interface. No more call forwarding pop-up! (it's the pop up that appears when you make a call, happens on Nokia too BTW, except there you can't turn it off).

It also allows to selectively block SMS and calls from people and organizations. Get a marketing call? No problem, add the number to the blocks, set it to ignore, and done. Same for marketing SMS - never see them again, they get deleted as soon as they arrive, no notification no sound. There are also settings for "privacy" in case you don't want anyone to know you got an SMS from somebody (hmm... what could that be useful for? can't think of anything :o:D ).

It's just one example, but there are a plethora of tools out there that expose basically the entire functionality and unix underpinnings of the iPhone. If you are more ambitious you can get the unofficial development toolchain and program the thing yourself. If you want to join the official developers, there are the official tools and frameworks which are better than for any other device - though the official tools don't allow you to do crazy stuff like hack into the phone application :D

This device is a hacker's wet dream.

Edited by nikster

Huh? That is EXACTLY why so many people love the iphone. You really dont know whats going on with the iphone do you? This is also the exact reason so many people (Like HDRIDER) dont like the iphone, too many things you have to tweak and customize to make it the way you like it with thousands of programs to go through and try. Themes for everyting from backgrounds to icons to sound effects... hmmmm my pda never had this level of customization, not even close. Seriously, go do a little research, bet you'll suddenly want to go buy an iphone once you realise its the perfect phone for guys like us that like to do what you stated.

Like a Mac PC I'm not interested. They may look cool, and work flawlessly, but other than that it's all hype.

What did the Romans ever give us , apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? :o

cheers

16g not enough?

future tripper

built in youtube app -can watch all youtube videos

see this it is list of bunch of itunes replacements

now you have nothing else to complain about. fork over the 20k

Just to de-bunk some myths.

I dropped my iPhone in water a few months back.

They had to replace the battery and a logic board it cost me B5,000 and I had the phone back within a week.

Of course it wasn't done under warranty but then again dropping your phone in water is not covered anywhere in the world.

Cheers

They had to replace the battery and a logic board it cost me B5,000 and I had the phone back within a week.

Of course it wasn't done under warranty but then again dropping your phone in water is not covered anywhere in the world.

Cheers

They have every part u need , i seen a shop in MBK named iDoctor and has every part of the iphone in stock

What did the Romans ever give us , apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? :o

cheers

They didn't give us Windows Pocket PC's? Now I have a lot of PPC based software, will those programs run on an iPhone? A downside for me at least.

Edited by Digitalbanana

Cheers

They have every part u need , i seen a shop in MBK named iDoctor and has every part of the iphone in stock

Thanks! I need to fix my iphones speakers... Ive dropped it like a hundred times and now theres a bit of a speaker problem.

Cheers

Thanks! I need to fix my iphones speakers... Ive dropped it like a hundred times and now theres a bit of a speaker problem.

If u find the ringing volume too soft even at max setting u can just grab a pin or needle to poke thru the speakers anti-dust paper. Volume will increase tremendously :o

A friend of ours bought one, she has had no end of trouble with it......not having thai menu hasnt helped her.

I had never seen one, but have spent hours playing with it now & think its aweful....but obviously the masses don't think so, but I just cant figure what the attraction to them is? Is it seen as a status symbol?? :o

I think the attraction is its idiot proof.

Though the exception always proves the rule.

Cheers

I can understand that she doesnt read or speak a word of english....so i don't think she is an idiot. If you're referring to me, I didnt have a problem using it, just didnt find myself doing backflips about it....I know there has been lots of positive comotion about them, I just don't see it.

By the way....I'm still using an old Nokia, i can't even remember what model it is :o

Neverdie,

Sorry , no offence intended, its just a reaction to the naysayers who have no reason to dislike the iPhone except that its popular.

Tall poppy syndrome.

The working flawlessly quote is from one of those naysayers :o

Cheers

Neverdie,

Sorry , no offence intended, its just a reaction to the naysayers who have no reason to dislike the iPhone except that its popular.

Tall poppy syndrome.

The working flawlessly quote is from one of those naysayers :o

Cheers

No worries bloke, I'm not trying to shoot it down, just trying to figure it out. My phone has everything I need, mp3, camera, memory card with 512mb...could make bigger, is small which I always found a plus, ohh and it rings when someone calls, its an alarm clock, all of that stuff. The phone company in Australia use to call me every year and try and get me to sign up for a new one, I couldnt work out why....i use to tell them to bugger off and they would always have a laugh saying my phone was old tech. I must admit one with a gps in it for viewing maps on the go would be good......I duno im obviously missing something.....I can still remember how good my first phone was>>>i will buy a new phone when this one dies & its about 6 years old now (i think).