"ราย" As A Classifier

DavidHouston

Khun Geezer raised a question earlier about the word "ราย" standing alone.

"การขึ้นสู่อำนาจอีกครั้งของรัฐบาลประชาธิปัตย์ในยุค "อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ" นอกจากถูกมองว่าได้รับไฟเขียวจากพลังสีเขียวเงื่อนไขสำคัญอีกประการคือได้รับแรงสนับสนุนจากนักธุรกิจรายใหญ่"

"As Power returns yet once more to Democrat Party government in this era of "Abhisit Vejajiwa", in addition to being perceived as receiving the green light from the military, one more important condition is the support which it has garnered from the business establishment."

Here, it seems to me, the word "ราย" acts as a classifier for the word "นักธุรกิจ", as in Lexitron's definition,

"ราย [CLAS] case; instance; person; item; account; issue; story; party; statement; record"

Seems to me that the use of "นักธุรกิจ", rather than "คน" for a person implies that the writer sees these businessmen as "institutions", rather than people.

Is this a reasonable interpretation?

["ได้รับไฟเขียวจากพลังสีเขียว"; is the double use of the word "green" intentional?]

Khun Geezer raised a question earlier about the word "ราย" standing alone.

"การขึ้นสู่อำนาจอีกครั้งของรัฐบาลประชาธิปัตย์ในยุค "อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ" นอกจากถูกมองว่าได้รับไฟเขียวจากพลังสีเขียวเงื่อนไขสำคัญอีกประการคือได้รับแรงสนับสนุนจากนักธุรกิจรายใหญ่"

"As Power returns yet once more to Democrat Party government in this era of "Abhisit Vejajiwa", in addition to being perceived as receiving the green light from the military, one more important condition is the support which it has garnered from the business establishment."

Here, it seems to me, the word "ราย" acts as a classifier for the word "นักธุรกิจ", as in Lexitron's definition,

"ราย [CLAS] case; instance; person; item; account; issue; story; party; statement; record"

Seems to me that the use of "นักธุรกิจ", rather than "คน" for a person implies that the writer sees these businessmen as "institutions", rather than people.

Is this a reasonable interpretation?

["ได้รับไฟเขียวจากพลังสีเขียว"; is the double use of the word "green" intentional?]

ราย = ส่วน

ราย = ส่วน

Your's is a better explanation.

The translation would be, in part, " . . . one more important condition is the support which it has garnered from the majority of the business establishment."

Thanks.

I think you might misunderstand something.

นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่ is a businessman who has big business or big company. Or, simple a wealthy businessman.

If we add the word กลุ่ม or พวก into it to "พวกนักธุรกิจรายใหญ่" or "กลุ่มนักธุรกิจรายใหญ่", then, it would be a group of wealthy businessmen.

From RID:

ราย น. เรื่อง ส่วน บุคคล หรือสิ่งซึ่งแยกกล่าวเป็นอย่าง ๆ ไป เช่น พิจารณา

เป็นราย ๆ ไป แต่ละราย รายนี้เข้าที่ไหนบ่อนแตกที่นั่น, ลักษณนาม

ใช้แก่สิ่งที่มีลักษณะเช่นนั้น เช่น อุบัติเหตุ ๓ ราย เขามีลูกหนี้หลายราย.

ว. ที่แยกเป็นลําดับหรือเป็นระยะต่อเนื่องกัน เช่น หนังสือพิมพ์รายวัน

นิตยสารรายเดือน ค่าอาหารคิดเป็นรายหัว ถามเป็นรายบุคคล, ที่เรียงกัน

เป็นแถวเป็นระยะ ๆ เช่น ศาลาราย เจดีย์ราย.

นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่, in this case ราย refers to a person.

Other examples of using ราย ;

โจรรายหนึ่งเข้าทำการปล้นร้านทองอย่างอุกอาจ

ลูกค้ารายนี้เป็นลูกค้าชั้นดี เราจึงต้องให้การดูแลเป็นอย่างดี

คุณพ่อรายนี้ค่อนข้างหวงลูกสาว

คุณแม่รายนี้มีปัญหาลูกติดเกม

เด็กรายนี้มีปัญหาทางด้านอารมณ์

Yes, it is.

ราย = ส่วน

The translation would be, in part, " . . . one more important condition is the support which it has garnered from the majority of the business establishment."

Thanks.

นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่ is a businessman who has big business or big company. Or, simple a wealthy businessman.

If we add the word กลุ่ม or พวก into it to "พวกนักธุรกิจรายใหญ่" or "กลุ่มนักธุรกิจรายใหญ่", then, it would be a group of wealthy businessmen.

From RID:

Yes, it is.

Thanks Yoot that covers the lot, we both missed the lack of the สมุหนาม

ราย = ส่วน

Thanks.

From RID:

Yes, it is.

Khun Yoot,

Based on the above, are the following reasonable translations of your sample sentences?

A bandit brazenly robbed the gold jewelry store.

This is a high-class customer; we therefore need to take good care of him.

This father is very worried about his daughter.

This mother has a problem with her child being addicted to (computer) games.

This kid is experiencing emotional problems.

Thank you for your clarifications. I still have a question regarding the difference between using "ราย" as a classifier and "คน" in the sentences you provided. If "คน" were used, would the meaning change?

Khun Yoot,

Based on the above, are the following reasonable translations of your sample sentences?

- อุกอาจ means to commit a crime fearlessly. I'm not sure if it's the same as brazenly or not.

You would often see the sentence like this on news.

- Correct.

When we say ลูกค้ารายนี้ it means a customer which might refer to a company or a person. It's not specific.

- หวง means to guard zealously. ห่วง means worry. I meant to say the first one.

This mother has a problem with her child being addicted to (computer) games.

- Correct. Or, the mother in this case .....

This kid is experiencing emotional problems.

- Correct. Or, the kid in this case .....

Thank you for your clarifications. I still have a question regarding the difference between using "ราย" as a classifier and "คน" in the sentences you provided. If "คน" were used, would the meaning change?

You can not used the classifier "คน" in the phrase "นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่". It would give a different meaning. Actually, it doesn't make sense to say "นักธุรกิจคนใหญ่". I can hardly translate it to English. You will also see the term "นักธุรกิจรายเล็ก" or "นักธุรกิจรายย่อย" for businessman who own a small business.

For my other examples which mentioned about a father, a mother or a kid, it sounds like we are talking about cases and each ones is an example of each cases from case study or report. Using "คน" in these sentences would make it sound specific, like taking an example from one among the people who are discussing about those things, not an example in case study or in report.

I hope I won't confuse you much. Choosing which words to use it depends on the context and situation. Sometimes, the words which have the same meaning can be used alternatively but sometimes they can't.

Khun Yoot,

How about: "This is the kind of bandit who brazenly robs gold jewelry stores."

- อุกอาจ means to commit a crime fearlessly. I'm not sure if it's the same as brazenly or not.

You would often see the sentence like this on news.

How about: "We need to take very good care of high-class customers like these."

- Correct.

When we say ลูกค้ารายนี้ it means a customer which might refer to a company or a person. It's not specific.

How about: "This is the type of father who zealously guards his daughter."

- หวง means to guard zealously. ห่วง means worry. I meant to say the first one.

This mother in this case has a problem with her child being addicted to (computer) games.

- Correct. Or, the mother in this case .....

This kid in this case is experiencing emotional problems.

- Correct. Or, the kid in this case .....

You can not used the classifier "คน" in the phrase "นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่". It would give a different meaning. Actually, it doesn't make sense to say "นักธุรกิจคนใหญ่". I can hardly translate it to English. You will also see the term "นักธุรกิจรายเล็ก" or "นักธุรกิจรายย่อย" for businessman who own a small business.

For my other examples which mentioned about a father, a mother or a kid, it sounds like we are talking about cases and each ones is an example of each cases from case study or report. Using "คน" in these sentences would make it sound specific, like taking an example from one among the people who are discussing about those things, not an example in case study or in report.

I hope I won't confuse you much. Choosing which words to use it depends on the context and situation. Sometimes, the words which have the same meaning can be used alternatively but sometimes they can't.

One more go at the subject clause:

" . . . . รับแรงสนับสนุนจากนักธุรกิจรายใหญ่"

" . . . . one more important condition is the support which (the Democrat Party) has garnered from the heads of large businesses (here)."

Thanks, again, Khun Yoot, for your assistance. Language is full of wonderful subtleties!

From RID:

From the 'outside-looking-in': since the 2525 edition does not include บุคคล and assuming that RID is a decade or so behind the times, maybe it became fashionable to replace คน with ราย for people who could be identified as special in some way, which means everybody of course, but not extended that far yet. All the examples refer to people, (I am not sure about อุบัตเหตุ ๓ ราย) what we need is an example of สิ่งที่มีสักษณะเช่นนี้ if there are none then people who use it as a ลักษณนาม for things, will appear weird, if we don't already!

Poor Koon Yoot, I fear that we will 'switch you off' with these quibbles please, understand that it seems important to an English speaker, like kids it is always 'why, why, why', and it is natuaral to answer 'because it is'.

Edited by tgeezer

Pardon me for nosing in here but I find this sub-forum quite interesting.

Correct me if I am wrong yoot but it seems choice of the classifier for นักธุรกิจ in the above example is partly dependent on the choice of adjective. Just change ใหญ่ or ย่อย to some other type of adjective and you will see what I mean.

Also, reading นักธุรกิจคนใหญ่ certainly gives me a different impression than นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่ but it doesn't appear incorrect. นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่ suggests to me someone who is important or influential because of the size and scope of their business, whereas นักธุรกิจคนใหญ่ suggests to me a businessperson who is important or influential perhaps due to some other social or political significance.

Of course, I could be completely wrong with my impressions and observations.

From RID:

From the 'outside-looking-in': since the 2525 edition does not include บุคคล and assuming that RID is a decade or so behind the times, maybe it became fashionable to replace คน with ราย for people who could be identified as special in some way, which means everybody of course, but not extended that far yet. All the examples refer to people, (I am not sure about อุบัตเหตุ ๓ ราย) what we need is an example of สิ่งที่มีสักษณะเช่นนี้ if there are none then people who use it as a ลักษณนาม for things, will appear weird, if we don't already!

Poor Koon Yoot, I fear that we will 'switch you off' with these quibbles please, understand that it seems important to an English speaker, like kids it is always 'why, why, why', and it is natuaral to answer 'because it is'.

Tgeezer,

ลักษณนาม ใช้แก่สิ่งที่มีลักษณะเช่นนั้น, this part means it's used as classifier for

ราย น. เรื่อง ส่วน บุคคล หรือสิ่งซึ่งแยกกล่าวเป็นอย่าง ๆ ไป. As in my examples, it refers to people which have been mentioned separately case by case(สิ่งซึ่งแยกกล่าวเป็นอย่าง ๆ ไป) which using คน sometimes it might sound incorrect or strange.

Edited by yoot

Pardon me for nosing in here but I find this sub-forum quite interesting.

Correct me if I am wrong yoot but it seems choice of the classifier for นักธุรกิจ in the above example is partly dependent on the choice of adjective. Just change ใหญ่ or ย่อย to some other type of adjective and you will see what I mean.

Also, reading นักธุรกิจคนใหญ่ certainly gives me a different impression than นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่ but it doesn't appear incorrect. นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่ suggests to me someone who is important or influential because of the size and scope of their business, whereas นักธุรกิจคนใหญ่ suggests to me a businessperson who is important or influential perhaps due to some other social or political significance.

Of course, I could be completely wrong with my impressions and observations.

นักธุรกิจรายใหญ่ - นักธุรกิจผู้ที่มีกิจการขนาดใหญ่ Businessman who owns big business.

นักธุรกิจรายเล็ก or นักธุรกิจรายย่อย - นักธุรกิจผู้ที่มีกิจการขนาดเล็กหรือขนาดย่อม Businessman who owns small business.

ลูกค้ารายใหญ่ - ลูกค้าผู้ที่ซื้อของจากบริษัทเป็นจำนวนมาก Customer who buys a large amount of goods.

ลูกค้ารายย่อย - ลูกค้าผู้ที่ซื้อของจากบริษัทเป็นจำนวนน้อย Customer who buys a little amount of goods.

รายใหญ่ - important case, important party.

รายย่อย -minor case, miscellaneous items, minor party, trifling, minor issue.

From above, I think which classifier is used it depends on the context. Let's take ธุรกิจรายใหญ่ and ธุรกิจขนาดใหญ่ as examples, the first one would have people involved in the context while the latter would talk about business in general.

I can hardly think of which context นักธุรกิจคนใหญ่ should be used. I can't even explain the meaning of it. Could you give me example when นักธุรกิจคนใหญ่ is used in the context?

Any comments on this:

"ในบรรดานักธุรกิจ คนใหญ่ ๆ ในบ้านเมือง"

I realize I am stretching a bit, but it does seems possible to use this expression?

Did you notice that there is a space between นักธุรกิจ and คนใหญ่ ๆ ? That means นักธุรกิจ and คนใหญ่ ๆ are not the same person in this phrase.

นักธุรกิจ - businessman

คนใหญ่ ๆ or คนใหญ่คนโต - big shot or important person or high rank military officer.