A Matter Of Legality...

Employer takes funds from account...  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know if it is worth making a huge stink with your boss, considering that it is only 300 thb and it sounds like you were responsible for paying back the the money anyway.

That is as bit crazy that the bank would allow them to do this... I would have a word with your bank about this.

Please update us after talking to the bank... I would think "legally speaking" if anyone broke any laws it would be the bank.

I am guessing I would not be breaking any laws if I asked the bank to give me all of your money, but I am pretty sure they would be breaking the law if they complied with my request...

Rule of the day, open a separate bank account with a different bank and transfer all money out on Pay day.

Edited by CWMcMurray

This one comes up now and again in Thailand.

In the UK, without the account holder's authorisation, it is almost impossible to withdraw money from someone's bank account without a court order. I'm sure there are rare exceptions. Bank charges would be the most obvious one.

However, in Thailand, the law is weak and informal power (social status, wealth, connections) can trump the law. Corruption is rife and applies to the private (and government) banks as much as anywhere else. Loan officers may require a bung to approve a loan. And unauthorised withdrawals can also be made from accounts. Like everywhere else where corruption happens in Thailand, the official involved will weigh up a number of factors such as possible negative repercussions, the relative status of the parties involved, the amount he stands to make in bribes, the closeness of the relationship he has with the party who wishes to make the withdrawal, etc.

The motto is :- if you think someone claims you owe them money, has your bank details and is powerful enough to persuade the bank to make an unauthorised withdrawal, close the account pronto.