Would I Have A Future In Thailand?

john1000

Hi

When I first joined this forum I had grand ideas to retire in Thailand after an unpleasant divorce... I waited and visited four times in BKK, Udon, Pattaya, and Chaingmai.

BKK or Chaingmai would be first choice but think differently about the place now. Still love it and met some great people living in Thai, however money would be more of a problem now as although the pounds sinks lower everyday, Thai baht which is linked to the dollar seems not to change. Capital to take there also reduced as investments have slumped.

Read advice given to others in a similar position... my problem; why do I get the feeling everyone ( most members ) are under the impression Thai society in general have somehow gone off Farang types big time.

We all know the odd few who come here and are suspect, but is it because of resentment, disdain, or just a healthy dislike of putting up with foreign tourists because they have to.

A worry if planning to spend alot of time here.

I am thinking of giving up my job which is ok ish but at 50 odd life is very short and the back end is spent in Out patients anyway.

Any comments welcome...

keep some job in the uk and visit thailand for many months winter time or open a small business in thailand, to keep you busy.

depending on your health now, but you can be fairly active professionally well into the 70-ties.

the very old age I would spend rather in england, with a free healthcare

John, tomorrow is promised to no one, enjoy today as much as you can, its no good sitting in your cold UK home thinking about warm climates, do something soon, sell up and enjoy the rest of your days, search the web for whatever treatment you need here in Thailand, just enjoy your twilight years, thats what im doing,

Good luck and a happy xmas, Lickey.

BKK or Chaingmai would be first choice but think differently about the place now. Still love it and met some great people living in Thai, however money would be more of a problem now as although the pounds sinks lower everyday, Thai baht which is linked to the dollar seems not to change. Capital to take there also reduced as investments have slumped.

The exchange rate question seems to come up a lot. IMHO, if exchange rate is a concern or a major go/no-go for this kind of decision, then you very likely may not have enough money socked away. Nothing wrong with your sentiments and motives to be sure, but one needs a large enough bankroll to withstand these kinds of fluctuations.

I am thinking of giving up my job which is ok ish but at 50 odd life is very short and the back end is spent in Out patients anyway.

These kinds of statements are really scary to me, unless one happens to be independently wealthy or at least financially quite well off. For the typical professional worker, one's peak earning years are typically in the range 40-60 years of age, or even longer with a badly needed skill set. Why would anyone want to miss out on trying to max out earnings when there is uncertainty about having enough stashed away, especially when considering retiring to a different part of the world?

I also find the last part about health in old age to be rather pessimistic. Being concerned about health in old age and choosing to do little or nothing about it, seems a bit apathetic, if not a sign of being lazy (forgive me). Getting old is a fact of life. Barring serious illness or injury, how we choose to age is up to us.

Just my own wrong opinion ...

one's peak earning years are typically in the range 40-60 years of age, or even longer with a badly needed skill set. Why would anyone want to miss out on trying to max out earnings when there is uncertainty about having enough stashed away, especially when considering retiring to a different part of the world?

I think Spee is exactly right. Many of us start getting tired of the job in our 50s and start dreaming. Dreaming is nice, but for most of us that is all it should be. The key is to work until you have effectively maxed out your retirement income. I don't mean work for ever because your pension may go up for every year you work, but definitely into your middle 60s (unless you have health problems). Don't decide to retire at 50+ just because you think you can live on 50% of your full retirement pension. Sure, you might be able to survive, but will you have the quality of life you want for the next 30-40 years?

From the 50s on, you will have effectively no chance of going back to work if retired life doesn't work out after a year or two. And moving to another country.... a whole new set of problems. And toss in retiring and moving to a country you have only visited......phew, I can't count the number of problems I expect you would encounter.

I see people here who retired so early on so little percentage of their (what might have been a full) pension that now a big night out is a 50-60 baht dinner at a shopping mall food courts. They can't even think of spending 500+ baht, not even once a year for a Xmas dinner.

I would draw an analogy between retiring in your 50s (unless you have mega bucks stashed away) with the people in their 30s who have no savings and spend everything they make because "the future will take care of itself." It doesn't, as those of us now in that future know. If you don't prepare your financial future, you won't have one.

I also find the last part about health in old age to be rather pessimistic. Being concerned about health in old age and choosing to do little or nothing about it, seems a bit apathetic, if not a sign of being lazy (forgive me). Getting old is a fact of life. Barring serious illness or injury, how we choose to age is up to us.

Just my own wrong opinion ...

I agree with you a point but you can never rule out the wild card which is why it is prudent to maintain an escape package back home. Particularly true of the UK where you are provided with free health care so long as you made the minimum NI payements. Okay many will knock the NHS more out of a perverse sense of duty than anything elese but some healthcare is better than none.

Certainly I agree with the comments regarding finances. I would say you need to do your financial planning based on around 2/3 to 3/4 the current exchange rate. Two thirds may be pessimistic, sure hope it is, but if you can survive on that anything better is a bonus. Okay there is the "end of the world" scenario but if we all plan for that eventuality we may as well crawl away into a hole and give up living.

I have trouble understanding why people would leave work in their 50's for an uncertain future here. Thai people enjoy having foreigners less and less in the country--and I am not talking about tourists--I am talking about residents. We are appreciated about as much as the 'brown' people in your country are appreciated and from what I see on a lot of these forums, there isn't much appreciation for them.

And you will hear from all the folks living in a village in the absolute middle of nowhere, how wonderful it is and how cheap. Remember, they are probably the only foreigner around and see themselves like a king. If you live in a city, with a fair number of middle class folks, they will have little appreciation for your presence. They will, however, tolerate you well.

Hi

When I first joined this forum I had grand ideas to retire in Thailand after an unpleasant divorce... I waited and visited four times in BKK, Udon, Pattaya, and Chaingmai.

Read advice given to others in a similar position... my problem; why do I get the feeling everyone ( most members ) are under the impression Thai society in general have somehow gone off Farang types big time.

We all know the odd few who come here and are suspect, but is it because of resentment, disdain, or just a healthy dislike of putting up with foreign tourists because they have to.

A worry if planning to spend alot of time here.

Any comments welcome...

Hi There.

Its difficult, batton down the hatches time for everyone everywhere at the moment.

You can do that in the UK or here, its up to you (I would suggest here might be far more enjoyable for you, especially if you havent lived here for any length of time yet :o .)

you can live simply (still excellently) and happily on a beach somewhere (or anywhere you want for that matter!)- (if you know what your doing) for about 10 quid a day (including everything) very easily.

With regard to Thai's having gone off farangs?? In my opinion if you behave like an idiot and disregard people around you here you will have massive problems, this is true anywhere. Thai's take no S&(*t from anyone but they have an innate sense of justice on the whole. If you integrate and give something (other than money) into your immediate community, the Thais are some of the warmest and most welcoming people I have met.

That said, there are obvious tensions at the moment for everyone, and there are many frayed nerves so that needs to be respected.

Good luck with your decisions.

I have trouble understanding why people would leave work in their 50's for an uncertain future here. Thai people enjoy having foreigners less and less in the country--and I am not talking about tourists--I am talking about residents. We are appreciated about as much as the 'brown' people in your country are appreciated and from what I see on a lot of these forums, there isn't much appreciation for them.

And you will hear from all the folks living in a village in the absolute middle of nowhere, how wonderful it is and how cheap. Remember, they are probably the only foreigner around and see themselves like a king. If you live in a city, with a fair number of middle class folks, they will have little appreciation for your presence. They will, however, tolerate you well.

any valid reason whether appreciation exists or is important? i, for example care a sh** whether Thais appreciate my presence or not although i don't recall any negative experience. au contraire, all Thais i deal with appreciate the money i spend.

Edited by Naam

If you work here you can be eligible for Thai Social Security.

Once you've been in the system 3 months you can quit and for a small (432 baht) payment each month, stay in the system. This guarantees you decent health care, basically free.

Also a plus, there are no exclusions for pre-existing conditions.

Many good points here. No one should blindly just depart their home country without some kind of reasonable financial plan to care for themselves until death. I agree that one needs to plan for the future but remember, the future never comes. My Thai wife has helped me (previously a living for the future fanatic) to realize you must live life daily also because there is no guarantee of a tomorrow.

With that being said, I am almost 50 years old and have been cast out into the job market of a failing global economy by a company I gave over 22 years of faithful service to. I'm well short of 59.5 years of age to collect my 401K payments and another 12 to 15 years before I can receive any USA Social Security, however much that might be. I have decided to go to Thailand for a year or two and teach at a local high school in my wife's and I's Thai hometown where we built a small house a few years back. This house was built as a retirement place and/or a guaranteed home for my wife to live when I depart from this world. I don't feel it is a stupid thing to do even though I might be passing up some jobs I might qualify for here in the USA but rather look at it as a opportunity that was given to me, albeit not something I would have chosen. I will be working at a government school which will enroll me into the Thai social security system, basically for life, which will provide medical care as long as I keep current on monthly premiums and if I can teach a few years.....paying for my expenses in Thailand while my investments hopefully start growing again and I can sell my USA house (being rented out) in a few years, I might just live a good simple life and make it to retirement age not rich, but comfortable. Something I am quite OK with.

My message is that although one must be responsible and attentive to taking care of themselves now and in the future....chasing wealth and the almighty buck might not be everything it is made out to be. If you want to seek some balance in your life, I suggest some good reading called: Your money or your life by an author named Dominguez. If you are a person who needs/wants mansions, sports cars, vacation homes and etc. to achieve happiness, don't waste your time reading.

Others might find some enlightenment.

Regards to all!

Naam: I tend to agree with you. I personally don't care much about being appreciated, and like you when I spend money I am appreciated. It might, however, make a difference to those people who seem to think the locals 'should' be appreciative of all we have to give/teach them.

keep some job in the uk and visit thailand for many months winter time or open a small business in thailand, to keep you busy.

depending on your health now, but you can be fairly active professionally well into the 70-ties.

Free healthcare is worth what you pay for it. By the time he's very old it will barely exist (it's pretty bad already). Thailand has good, affordable medical care, and you can get what you need when you want it. Plus, you can hire nurses, drivers, maids, etc. very cheaply.

When my family and I retired here in Thailand 5 years ago, I planned my cost of living as if the bank exchange rate is 40 baht =£1.

If I could not support myself & family here on those exchange rates, than I would not have sold up in the UK and moved to Thailand. This means that I am able to weather these financial crisis’s. If I get any higher exchange rates more than 40 baht =£1 is a bonus.

For those who are considering retiring here, should realise that Thailand is not a bargain basement or a charity-grazing field for knock kneed knackered old Western citizens.

You need money and lots of it. Better to be poor in the home country than destitute in Thailand.

Thanks for your input greatly appreciated. I have some hard thinking to do and although maybe some of my first ambitions 2 years ago were a knee jerk reaction to my sudden change of (mis) fortune I still think there is no life if your over 50 in UK.

Money running out, would be a daily fear and I know being a cautious person this would just add stress to my life which I don't have now. However, just doing my job everyday and seeing friends all good stuff, but its not the buzz I got from being in Thailand and I do not mean the easier access to female company.

I cannot get more than a months holiday at a time which means I am trapped here until my next trip and feel I am wasting my life...

This is something I think about everyday.

I don’t think anyone can answer your question for you – no on the limited information you have shared, but at 50’ish – is it really something you want to be doing?

One of the things you haven’t shared is your pension setup – wouldn’t that suffer a knock?

And I don’t know what type of work you do – could you transfer those skills to Thailand and use them to earn the money you want to sustain whatever lifestyle you want?

Or are you going to have to cash in and start again with something like a guest house?

One thing I personally (note: personally) am absolutely certain of is that now is not the time to be exchanging large sums of forex into Thai Baht. The exchange rate at the moment is as bad … bad bad bad! This time next year you are certain to get substantially more. That alone should slow you down to a least next year.

I don’t believe Thai’s are any more “objectionable” to farangs now than they were a year or two ago - or 5 years ago. I think this comment is more a reflection of how folk perceive their own insecurities – and just how secure is one in a new country if they have cashed in their hard earned savings and given up their work or career 10 or so years before they would otherwise normally retire?

It’s a big move – think it through very carefully – come out, and extend your stay over a period of a few years for ever longer periods, before making that commitment.

This sort of question / discussion is dictated by individual circumstances..but the decision must have been faced by most here. I guess one thing in my favour I am not hooked on a thai lady ( yet.). I have a friend who is fortunate to be able to come out every 3 months whilst living on a pension and rental income. Sadly I don't have his resources.

Guess a retirement visa is best? or non immigrant O not sure if it makes any difference.....

I will make a decision soon... before the grim reaper :o

Thanks for your input greatly appreciated. I have some hard thinking to do and although maybe some of my first ambitions 2 years ago were a knee jerk reaction to my sudden change of (mis) fortune I still think there is no life if your over 50 in UK.

Money running out, would be a daily fear and I know being a cautious person this would just add stress to my life which I don't have now. However, just doing my job everyday and seeing friends all good stuff, but its not the buzz I got from being in Thailand and I do not mean the easier access to female company.

I cannot get more than a months holiday at a time which means I am trapped here until my next trip and feel I am wasting my life...

The worsening exchange rate makes it worrying for anyone who is not v wealthy.

Unless you are desperately looking for a female, then it's probably not the right time to come to Thailand.

Unless you are desperately looking for a female, then it's probably not the right time to come to Thailand.

You are trapped anywhere you may go in this world if that is what is in your minds eye , regardless of circumstance , just check on the current circumstance of thousands of Thai nationals , this is growing on a day to day basis . I have a long time friend who ran into health problems , where is he now ? You guessed it , in that s222t whole where you were born , and from his last phone call , very gratefull for the terrible state of the health service . I would personaly say from what I read from your post , stay where you are at this present time , the grass is not greener unless you bring a very large mower in your luggage .

You are trapped anywhere you may go in this world if that is what is in your minds eye , regardless of circumstance , just check on the current circumstance of thousands of Thai nationals , this is growing on a day to day basis . I have a long time friend who ran into health problems , where is he now ? You guessed it , in that s222t whole where you were born , and from his last phone call , very gratefull for the terrible state of the health service . I would personaly say from what I read from your post , stay where you are at this present time , the grass is not greener unless you bring a very large mower in your luggage .

UNLESS, you're unable to find a woman in your own country and are desperate.

If so, you'll find one here, no trouble!

John

You have to think carefully, but do not sit on your rocking chair in 20 years thinking "I wish I had done that...". Just make the preparations and do it. I came here and do not find any of the Thais unfriendly, infact I love it here, I do have a great family though. There is work you may be able to pick up here. The poster who recommended you keep some sort of job or interest in the UK has given good advise. Fortunately I am ok financially at the moment, but I said one month to my wife, I just want to live a normal life, for a month, no big meals no extravagances (still had 4 stubby tins of Singha every night) and we spent about 20K baht excluding an allowance for rent and I think we could have got by on a little less. Be aware that many that come on this forum seem to hate the place and the people (don't know why they come on, but thats for another thread), so read and think about it all carefully, and the best of luck for the New Year!

John, tomorrow is promised to no one, enjoy today as much as you can, its no good sitting in your cold UK home thinking about warm climates, do something soon, sell up and enjoy the rest of your days, search the web for whatever treatment you need here in Thailand, just enjoy your twilight years, thats what im doing,

Good luck and a happy xmas, Lickey.

Mate, great advice.

UNLESS, you're unable to find a woman in your own country and are desperate.

If so, you'll find one here, no trouble!

I do not think the Op is looking for female comforts , but more a place to retire (be tired) in comfort , it is okay to tell how it is in your circumstance , but unless you are prepared to help him settle in as I have done to people in the past , first be aware of what his TOTAL monetary situation is at the present time . It is also so easy to inform him medical attention is cheap , now is that cheap as apposed to what you may have paid in the past or cheap for a person who seems to already have some ongoing medical problems that could escalate in the not so distant future . Many on this forum proffess wanting little to nothing to do with exp-pats in general , to whom then do you suggest he turn when the advise given to just 'Come and enjoy ' turns into something not so joyfull or affordable ? Think , Think and think again , not for you but for him .

some will say no no no you should plan for your retirement,make sure you have enough to survive for you might live to a ripe old age,and of course this is one way to look at it.another way to look at it is this,you could plod along in a job you hate in a country you no longer enjoy,knowing there is another country you would rather live in but are perhaps a little frightened to make the move.

I am a believer "in not putting off until tomorrow what you can do today" life can be too short.

if you can"wing it"financially now then "just do it"with one other proviso,health care in thailand is not cheap.forget the local govt. hospitals for serious stuff.the private hospitals are good but oh so expensive without health insurance,and from my research to get decent cover in your 50's your looking at 70,000 baht per annum minimum.

fortune favours the brave!

This sort of question / discussion is dictated by individual circumstances..but the decision must have been faced by most here. I guess one thing in my favour I am not hooked on a thai lady ( yet.). I have a friend who is fortunate to be able to come out every 3 months whilst living on a pension and rental income. Sadly I don't have his resources.

Guess a retirement visa is best? or non immigrant O not sure if it makes any difference.....

I will make a decision soon... before the grim reaper :o

You seem to be in much the same position as I.

I have on all my visits over the past 10 years put money in the ( Thai ) bank, in anticipation of the great day I could afford to reach the magic 800,000 bht level and retire over there. Unfortunately, while I have reached the end with work, now that the financial world has gone insane I will never reach the required level to retire in Thailand. However, I do have enough put away to finance one marvellous year, and am looking forward to that.

So, unless you have some property to sell, or enough cash, I think you may, like I, have missed the boat.

Also, unless you can work there, and get into the Thai medical system I agree with you that it would be better to aim to return to the UK for the medical cover. As one who works in, and has experienced the NHS as a patient, I can say it's not perfect by a long shot, but better than expiring in the Thai gutter because you couldn't afford to pay!

However, you are not yet 60, and if you set your mind to it, you may be able to save enough in the next few years to achieve the dream. The conundrum is though, that if you do not go to Thailand you can easily save enough to retire there, but if you go, you may not save enough to retire there. Certainly true in my case, but I wouldn't change it. Had too many great trips to wish otherwise.

really?

Ditto ...

Nothing is free, especially government run healthcare. They tax the shit out of people to establish the system and then run it into bankruptcy to the point where government bureaucrats end up playing god about critical medical decisions. Remember this "free" healthcare system is the same one that can exclude you from treatment or put you on a months long wait list for something as basic as non-invasive test procedures like an MRI or CT scan. I would rue the day when I would be old and ailing and have to put my health into the hands of some pinhead government bureaucrat.

So there you have it John, its all about being ill in Thailand !! sad really... im 56 and have lived here 2yrs 2 months full time, 18 months ago i had a kidney stone on the move, never in my life have i had pain like this, [biker, and broken many bones] 4 days in a Udon private hospital, 33000 bht and ok now, x-ray showed more stones, small, but could be a problem, some fella came and offered to laser them away for 80k, I can fly home for that and get it done free on the NHS, I dont have a Thai medical insurance,

So, whatever you do, dont eat anything,dont cross the road, dont drive a car or motorbike, dont go to work, BUT if you take the advice of everything that is bad for you, you will never do anything, So let your heart lead you, and leave enough money in reserve to get home if you need,

It depends on what you need, if you have the money, Thailand can be a "comfort" zone, same as UK, depends where you live, you are only on this planet once.

Cheers, Lickey.

Thanks to all.

Proves there are too many variables in life to ever have a water tight plan. My job as I have said does not pay well, and after a good career with Fujitsu feel like I am on the scrap heap LOL.

I like Thailand for the right reasons, but you cannot ignore the fact Thai ladies will show interest as opposed to the indifference shown in the UK, Europe and the states.

This is not however, a factor in my decision as I think this may come later on for the right reasons; if that makes sense. Many Farangs are fooled too easily, and if vulnerable not a good driving force when life changing decisions are made.

Financially I have a house and pension, but also a large mortgage thanks to my ex wife. Savings have fallen so I have limited long term options until the upturn we have been promised by G Brown...

But life is short... so I think a couple of extended holidays until I can sell up. But will wait for six months.