Latest requirements to teach english

Could someone please clarify or point me in the right direction regarding the latest requirements for teaching English here in Thailand? I had read elsewhere in this forum that either a college degree OR the TEFL was required. I have about 60 units of college work, mostly in computer programming. I am not interested in buying any false documentation. It would be great if I could do this with only the TEFL but I have heard it is very intensive. Feedback please?

Hi there, it is possible to teach english in Thailand with no qualifications at all, as long as you are a native speaker or speak english to a near native level. I think you are actually legally required to have a degree to teach in Thailand but I know a guy who maked 60K a month working in a governemt school teaching maths who doesn't have one. I think the law is only loosely complied with.

I have heared stories of lang schools just printing degrees off of their computers for their new teachers. Don't know if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me.

I used to know a danish guy who could speak english to a near native level and he was working as an english teacher at ECC and he didn't have a degree or tefl cert.

However, please let me make it clear that if you have no qualifications, unless you know people in a position to put in a good word for you, you will most likely be working in pretty awful conditions (35-40 hrs teaching per week, 6 days per week, 24k per month) and have some utter $&!* for a boss who couldn't give a shit about you.

So in my opinion, it probably is better getting some qualifications before you come here and you will pretty much be able to pick and choose which job you want to take.

There is an intro to TEFL course which I did that you can do at ECC Siam Square which is piss easy, lasts 2 weeks and costs 12500 baht, which will probably help get you a job. Although as I have already said, it is possible to get a job here with no quals/experience at all.

Good luck.

There is an intro to TEFL course which I did that you can do at ECC Siam Square which is piss easy, lasts 2 weeks and costs 12500 baht, which will probably help get you a job.

B12,500 for two weeks. Is that money well spent?

If that's just the introduction, how much is the real thing?

Check out Ajarn website

for more info , job availability etc. Theres a good FAQ section.

As a rule , if you want to teach in the public sector ( Schools/Uni ) , you need a degree plus TEFL plus experience.

There are a lot of Language Schools advertising for teachers , only requiring Tefl , some will find a job for you if you take the Tefl course with them. I believe in the future a degree will be mandatory in most establishments.

Fake degrees are starting to be " found out " .

Some Language schools offer Tefl courses that aren't recognised outside Thailand , but if you only want to teach here then these specific courses are probably the best ones to choose.

As with most things in Thailand , you will hear stories of people who have done this and that without any qualifications.

This is Thailand! :o