John Dykes

polecat

John Masefield is the guy who stands in when Paul's not available. They're identical apart from the facial hair.
The other guy, can't rember his name fills in on occaision on FF and has never touched a football in his life.

I know it's not the point you're making, but a pet hate of mine is when people criticise pundits or referees for not having played the game at the highest level. To my mind, the most bum-clenchingly bad punditry etc is done by ex-pros who only get the job because they used to play.

I've never played at the top level (although I'm only mid-thirties, so there is time) but I'm sure I could offer more of an insight into the game than the likes of Jamie ("top, top player") Redknapp or Robbie ("thooperb goal that") Earle.

Then again, maybe not.

Jeez for Xmas eve, you are in an arguementative mood poleCAT. Jamie Redknapp is all class - right down to the ties he wears :o

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it's not the point you're making, but a pet hate of mine is when people criticise pundits or referees for not having played the game at the highest level. To my mind, the most bum-clenchingly bad punditry etc is done by ex-pros who only get the job because they used to play.

I've never played at the top level (although I'm only mid-thirties, so there is time) but I'm sure I could offer more of an insight into the game than the likes of Jamie ("top, top player") Redknapp or Robbie ("thooperb goal that") Earle.

Then again, maybe not.

spot on that. the best commentators on football in england have NEVER played the game at the top level. bbc's mike ingham, david pleat, oliver kay, henry winter, martin samuel, kevin mccarra, james lawton. . . .compare their lucid and informative comment to the incorrect crap spouted by sky's studio guests and the scripted <deleted> trotted out by lineker, hansen and shearer on MOTD every saturday night.

the worst of the lot though have to be the current batch on radio five's 606 show, tim lovejoy (C*NT), dj spoony and steve bloody claridge. bring me to tears that lot do.

Jeez for Xmas eve, you are in an arguementative mood poleCAT. Jamie Redknapp is all class - right down to the ties he wears :o

redknapp's an effete, preening wanke_r james. a career made out of passing the ball sideways when not crocked on the treatment table again does not a football expert make.

:o

Masefield's one of yours though?

nah, nowt to do with us as far as i know. unless he's a fan. never played for us.

i have pretty much zero respect for every ex-red who is now a media pundit, apart from maybe hansen and phil thompson. kenny dalglish is good value when he's on as he just tells it as it is and also supports the club in the face of unwarranted criticism. most are just using their ties with the club to fund their golf habits though.

Someone told me that Masey-Wasey played for Torquay or some other south coast outfit in Division Z99.

As far as John Dykes is concerned,it always seems to me as though he considers his viewing audience as schoolchildren as does that other annoying toerag Andy Penders.

OG, Mase didn't play for Torquay, he wsn't gooed enough. :D

He did indeed play in Devon though, he was at Exeter City, think he also had a spell at Stockport and Birmingham, with little success. I'm pretty sure though that he's a Livepool fan.

And whilst we are on the subject, can someone explain to P J Roberts that there are more words in the English language than "Certainly Is"

he does my head in that bloke. he knows nothing about the game at all.

PJ is crap, but nothing, nothing is as bad as that prat Andy Pandy Penders. A first class tool, who wouldn't look out of place in a dildo shop.

And whilst we are on the subject, can someone explain to P J Roberts that there are more words in the English language than "Certainly Is"

PJ is crap, but nothing, nothing is as bad as that prat Andy Pandy Penders. A first class tool, who wouldn't look out of place in a dildo shop.

That's the guy with glasses and voice that sounds like he just sucked foff a cow on high street?

That's the guy with glasses and voice that sounds like he just sucked foff a cow on high street?

post-31474-1230096537_thumb.jpg

James it's this guy, not sure if he wears glasses, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sucks of cows.

You might be getting confused with that Fat Malaysian Tosser Sheikha something or another whos on that terrible Soccer AM rip off.

Acually bkkjames, I am feeling full of the spirit of Christmas, which is why I am showing such empathy with my fellow footy fans.

...henry winter, martin samuel, kevin mccarra, james lawton. . . .

Agree, I enjoy these guys' writing. Being able to control a keyboard better than a Mitre size 5 does have its advantages. Sam Wallace is also worth reading. James Lawton can be a bit of a curmdgeonly "In My Day" merchant, but still pretty good.

I also love reading Martin Kelner and Harry Pearson, just for giggles.

The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast is, I reckon, required listening. Hosted by James (Italian football TV) Richardson, McCarra features regularly along with John Glendenning, Sean Ingle, Rob Smyth and Sid Lowe.

Agree, I enjoy these guys' writing. Being able to control a keyboard better than a Mitre size 5 does have its advantages. Sam Wallace is also worth reading. James Lawton can be a bit of a curmdgeonly "In My Day" merchant, but still pretty good.

I also love reading Martin Kelner and Harry Pearson, just for giggles.

The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast is, I reckon, required listening. Hosted by James (Italian football TV) Richardson, McCarra features regularly along with John Glendenning, Sean Ingle, Rob Smyth and Sid Lowe.

yeah, richardson, mccarra, sean ingle and sid lowe are good value. i tend to think barry glendenning's a bit of a pompous wally though.

martin kelner's always funny, harry pearson i don't like though.

kelner's always good value on fighting talk too.

post-31474-1230096537_thumb.jpg

James it's this guy, not sure if he wears glasses, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sucks of cows.

You might be getting confused with that Fat Malaysian Tosser Sheikha something or another whos on that terrible Soccer AM rip off.

Different guy, he filled in about a month ago for a few weeks, had glasses and sat to JD's right.

just turn the volume down and look at jamie yeo, it would take a crow bar to get me off her

i just had to google image search her and it was worth it.

though i reckon bkkjames would prefer jamie redknapp.

sadly jamie is the closest any of us would ever get to louise :o

just turn the volume down and look at jamie yeo, it would take a crow bar to get me off her

stevie, like my choice of football teams, the women i associate with are all class...don't mention this my wife though.

stevie, like my choice of football teams, the women i associate with are all class...don't mention this my wife though.

But that 200 mile drive from essex and having to leave for home before you have finished must be a drag

But that 200 mile drive from essex and having to leave for home before you have finished must be a drag

well, unlike certain LP fans, I have never been accused of premature withdrawl, so at times what you mentioned can be a problem.

well, unlike certain LP fans, I have never been accused of premature withdrawl, so at times what you mentioned can be a problem.

not like your teams premature withdrawal from the FA cup a few years back then

happy xmas mate, have a good one :o

a few year's back? that was last year mate, ps I hear Torres will play this week.

a few year's back? that was last year mate, ps I hear Torres will play this week.

possibly on the bench mate, the early withdrawal i was talking about is when you never entered and went to south america

possibly on the bench mate, the early withdrawal i was talking about is when you never entered and went to south america

was that the year we won the treble?

happy xmas mate, have a good one :D

was that the year we won the treble?

How could it be the year you won the treble when you didn't enter one of the cups

:o (or was it sarcasm but no sarcastic smiley :D )

How about his "to be honest" 11 times during a recent live game. It could be come a hobby keeping a tally,like how many times Shebby starts an answer with the person asking the questions first name.

Stve McMahon was a good footballer but a relative failure as a Manager. His last job was in Australia where he was shown the door at Perth Glory and on his return to the UK stumbled into the job in Singapore. His written English is appalling and not edited by those at the Bangkok Post who should know better. His Saturday articles are just a rehash of what he said the previous Tues night on F /Focus.

PJ Roberts was an average player in the old National league in Aus.Has no credentials to be a journalist of any description and is better suited to playing the fool on "Football Crazy" with the words most annoying predsenter and resident yobbo Andy Penders.

Nigel Winterburn gets my vote though as the very worst co- commenator on the EPL live games. Doesn't do any homework on the game or players and actually gets paid for it.

I have emailed both ESPN and the Post on many occasions about the quality of programming and articles and had several replies from the CEO at the Bangkok Post. All to no avail in improvements.

We have the choice of course not to watch or read but what else could we moan about ?

I have emailed both ESPN and the Post on many occasions about the quality of programming and articles and had several replies from the CEO at the Bangkok Post. All to no avail in improvements.

We have the choice of course not to watch or read but what else could we moan about ?

Well, that makes a change, as when I contacted the Bangcock Patste about a particularly fictitional piece of journalism regarding Cricket in Thailand, I received no response.

The Post is a joke IMO.

As for ESPN, well it's still better than the <deleted> they put on Turdsport, with Somchai, Wankchai, Turdsak and Sparky. :o

pj s other standard response is outstanding which he uses a zillion times a game

i ve met him a couple of times and he s a nicer guy in real life

met mase once. comes across on tv as sucky uppy to steve m and recently during the commentary on thai games in aff cup sucking up to peter reid

like shebby, at least he tries to go against the flow

pj s other standard response is outstanding which he uses a zillion times a game

i ve met him a couple of times and he s a nicer guy in real life

met mase once. comes across on tv as sucky uppy to steve m and recently during the commentary on thai games in aff cup sucking up to peter reid

like shebby, at least he tries to go against the flow

I don't trust a man that uses his initials instead of his Christian name.What is he hiding? Could it be Peregrine or something?

Well, that makes a change, as when I contacted the Bangcock Patste about a particularly fictitional piece of journalism regarding Cricket in Thailand, I received no response.

The Post is a joke IMO.

As for ESPN, well it's still better than the <deleted> they put on Turdsport, with Somchai, Wankchai, Turdsak and Sparky. :o

The CEO at the Bangkok Post is David Armstrong. On a few occasions I received a reply within minutes of sending . He either has nothing else to do or enjoys a bit of contact with his readers. The current Sports Editor will send you a note saying"thank you for your email" which is more infuriating Over the years I have also constantly corrected Edward T, a so called sports correspondent, who makes so many factual mistakes and who still continues to write about "soccer" rather than football and who has made statements like "Mark Hughes job is safe because the Arabs have said so" .How naive is he ? One letter was actually reprinted in "letters to the Editor" section so obviously the previous Editor Roger Crutchley, or whoever made that decision, had the same opinion.