Touch Screen Phone

Gary A

I think one of the main problems cellphone companies have to fight against is that there are just so many funny, useful and cool little apps for the iPhone so that even if their specs are better their applications and the variety of different apps is not.

It's the same that I probably won't change my browser from Firefox to anything else. I just have about 20 extensions that are essential for me. I couldn't have them using Chrome or Opera.

I still don't have an iPhone and just use my netbook and bluetooth modem of my cellphone while I'm not at home. Regardless I really want to see a phone that could match the iPhone. If any company pulls this off it got to be Nokia. They have to if they want to stay on top. Google's Android might do well too if they push it hard enough and many people develop little apps. Their Android competition was a good start.

Edit: Another funny thing is that all new phones look like iPhones now, its the same what happened after the iPod was so successful it shaped the look of whole generations of mp3 players until today and probably in the future as well.

The phone you posted looks alright although no GPS would be a deal breaker for me right now.

Edited by learnthaipodcast

Well I don't think the hard core Apple fans will ever be convinced other wise (ask my other half she wont), but thanks to Apple for bringing out the new generation of touch phones and MP3 players to the mass market with such style and ease of use in the first place.

I for one think sits great to see all the new alternatives finally coming on to the market at last, which Apple always knew would appear anyway.

I am pretty sceptical on that Philips device, Philips has in the past made some awful me-too mobiles. I wonder what OS it's running.

The so-called "hard-core" fan group is getting bigger and bigger with the iPhone having by far the best user satisfaction ratings of any phone, including the new serious competitors, BB Storm and HTC Touch Pro.

Really only the Storm is competition though it seems to be lacking some crucial features. Next year will see the Nokia N 9? (97? not sure) which is the famed tube concept, aka iPhone-rip-off.

I agree that it's great that Apple has come out with a device like this, which blew everything else away, and which saved us from the dullness of the yet-another-symbian and yet-another-winmobile devices. Both symbian and WinMo now have to really take their game up to the next level, and that's good for everyone.

It was easy to predict Apple would create a good-looking device that works well, but putting nearly the entire OS X stack and frameworks on a mobile device is an astounding achievement, technology-wise. It's the reason the iPhone works so well, and can do so many things, and has so many apps. Apple didn't just shoot for making a well-competing device, they made an entirely new platform. Of course, they also nearly managed to kill it off with their idiotic exclusivity deals and control freakery. Genius and madness are not far apart there.

Hi

What about sim card? can you put it in and see contact now? also the 3G there is coming, can you put all apps on it you want or do you still have to jailbreak it?

but for the moment i still like my Omnia a lot, better than the first Iphone i had.

I was spoiled by Ericsson some years back. The phone accepted an optional larger battery. I have not had a phone since that that had what I consider to be decent battery life. I realize that phones today do a lot more than that old Ericsson but the battery life suffers much more than I consider necessary. The new Philips battery life really caught my eye. The phone before my Nokia E51 was a Nokia N80. The battery life was pathetic.

The iPhone has fantastic battery life if you use it only as a phone. Easily 5 days plus. But if you start surfing the web and checking emails, it drops really fast, down to half that.

Yeah

Was using my iphone heavily before but now i just use it to text and call , now is the 3rd day since i last charged and the batt is still at 50%

The iPhone has fantastic battery life if you use it only as a phone. Easily 5 days plus. But if you start surfing the web and checking emails, it drops really fast, down to half that.

But thats why you buy a Iphone there can do everything, you want to be on all the time, if you just want a phone why buy a Iphone.

I want my phone to be on most of the time, check mail every 30 min. go on the net, if you know what i mean.

My Omnia will only last me about 2 days, dont know avout the Iphone if you use it a lot, but then again i dont mind charge it everyday.

Hi

This is what i dont like, most of the test say the same thing, will go and play with the 3g phone today.

Then there's the battery: If you plan to use any of those new hardware features or processor-intensive apps, expect to charge up twice a day.

TIRED Battery drains juice faster than a toddler in the desert. AT&T's 3G network riddled with more holes than Krispy Kreme. Want to cut and paste? Bust out the scissors and glue. Plastic back highly susceptible to nicks and scratches. Still no MMS. Did we mention the battery stinks? Well, it's worth mentioning again.

At 197 minutes, the iPhone 3G can keep you browsing for a little over 3 hours before completing dying. That's with no additional phone calls or anything else going on in the background, just constant surfing. The problem is that this is a very realistic scenario for many users. If you're out of the house and stuck somewhere without a laptop, you'll want the speed of 3G but the battery life will mean that your surfing experience is almost half as long as it would be on Edge. Granted, you can load pages faster in the same amount of time, but you'd have to load pages around twice as fast on average to equal the same productivity

Music (continuous playback, large library, occasionally turning on screen): 31h 23m

Video (continuous playback, no push/fetch data): 7h 5m

Video (continuous playback, with push and 15 minute fetch data): 5h 24m

Daily data use (browsing, email, and GPS / maps): ~6h 30m

Those numbers definitely are not bad, but if you're anything like us and you kill time on your phone reading feeds and checking email like a fiend, by 3 or 4pm you'll likely be wondering if you'll even make it home with any power left -- especially if you leave on the 3G. Just be warned, the kind of prolonged usage on the original iPhone you used to get away with probably isn't possible with the iPhone 3G