Mango Rains Begin

Ricardo

Uh oh, the smartasses are out.....

I have two words to say. The Second is "off". :o

Bis repetita placent

For a man who can quote Horace I hope you understood that I was quoting Austin Power's father and was not intending to offend anyone. :D Unfortunately, I think you may not have.

Uh oh, the smartasses are out.....

I have two words to say. The Second is "off". :D

Bis repetita placent

For a man who can quote Horace I hope you understood that I was quoting Austin Power's father and was not intending to offend anyone. :D Unfortunately, I think you may not have.

Is a man who can quote Horace supposed to know a man who can quote Austin Powers' father? :o

Then again it might not but take an umbrella with you just in case.

Sorry Horace but I'm not suffering from a nasty hangover, post-Christmas Day blues or seasonal grumpiness today and in fact I'm in excellent spirits so I'm not going to rise to that. Rocky has retired.

Here's wishing you a wonderful (and hopefully dry) day.

Chup chup,

Hill16

Then again it might not but take an umbrella with you just in case.

Sorry Horace but I'm not suffering from a nasty hangover, post-Christmas Day blues or seasonal grumpiness today and in fact I'm in excellent spirits so I'm not going to rise to that. Rocky has retired.

Here's wishing you a wonderful (and hopefully dry) day.

Chup chup,

Hill16

Thank you very much. I do appreciate.

Unfortunately having too much work to do I probably won't go out today. But if, by the end of the afternoon, I was to go out (to get myself a life), I will not forget to take an umbrella and even a warm cardigan. I would not like to catch a cold.

Thanks again for your concern.

JB

Can't be bothered searching back up there for names and the like ... but for those interested -

The "Mango Rains" until this winter have always appeared in the 3rd week of january.

Their hallmark is short, very heavy, downpours of usually 20-30 minutes, immediately preceded by strong winds, and sometimes accompanied by thunder & lightening. The downpours normally occur mid afternoon.

Following the Mango Rains week, the cold winter weather disappears overnight and is replaced immediately with the "hot and dry" season that leads us up to the next set of rains - at or immediately after Songkran.

With 10 consecutive winters under my belt in Chiangmai, I can confirm this is the first year I've known it to rain here in December. That, plus the all-day duration of the rain leads me to believe it is not part of the Mango Rains, but simply an isolated weather anomaly.

However, I do remember several winters where hailstones the size of gobstoppers, and even golf balls, were video-d on Thai TV up in Chiang Rai during January.

And the reason they are called Mango Rains (I am told) is because they occur at the start of the Mango ripening season and cause the fruit to swell out

Khao Niaow Mamuang anyone?

Gaz

Can't be bothered searching back up there for names and the like ... but for those interested -

The "Mango Rains" until this winter have always appeared in the 3rd week of january.

Their hallmark is short, very heavy, downpours of usually 20-30 minutes, immediately preceded by strong winds, and sometimes accompanied by thunder & lightening. The downpours normally occur mid afternoon.

Following the Mango Rains week, the cold winter weather disappears overnight and is replaced immediately with the "hot and dry" season that leads us up to the next set of rains - at or immediately after Songkran.

With 10 consecutive winters under my belt in Chiangmai, I can confirm this is the first year I've known it to rain here in December. That, plus the all-day duration of the rain leads me to believe it is not part of the Mango Rains, but simply an isolated weather anomaly.

However, I do remember several winters where hailstones the size of gobstoppers, and even golf balls, were video-d on Thai TV up in Chiang Rai during January.

And the reason they are called Mango Rains (I am told) is because they occur at the start of the Mango ripening season and cause the fruit to swell out

Khao Niaow Mamuang anyone?

Gaz

I didn't move here until 2006, so I have no personal knowledge of the matter. However, there is an (infrequently updated) Amateur Weather Station with graphs showing, among other things, rainfall. According to him ( http://www.hs0zee.com/Information/Weather%...r%20Station.htm ) there was a considerable amount of rain in December 2005, but none in 2004, 2006 or 2007. (The latter two years I can personally confirm.)

post-20094-1230468843_thumb.jpg

Does anybody have records or know of a credible source?

/ Priceless

Nobody is more qualified than you to find a credible source.

Now is a credible source the same thing than a reliable source?

You would be the one to notice that I used the word 'credible' :o To me, the word 'reliable' is considerably stronger than 'credible'. I have been visiting the Amateur Weather Station website on and off for a couple of years and never found reason to disagree with his graphs. However, it is an Amateur site, so...

/ Priceless