24 Dec Is Chrismas Eve Right?

chanchao

Do you celebrate Christmas?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just wondering.. Don't answer this if you're somewhere in Europe/US/Aus/Whatever, but if you're currently in Thailand, does Christmas mean anything to you? Are you actually celebrating it in some way?

For me, if it wasn't for the daft songs they play in shopping malls all the time these days then this question wouldn't even have come up.. I'm on a plane tomorrow to Khon Kaen for things that have little to do with Christmas. The missus is off to BKK on a business trip so I'll be in just in the company of a bunch of bar-staff in Santa hats with red flashing lights, and a good supply of Sang Som.. But that's not really different from any other Friday night, minus the goofy hats of course.

So: Are you doing anything special today or tomorrow that's different from what you normally do in Thailand? Is Dec 25 significant?

Cheers,

Chanchao

We've just taken our Thai staff out, had a few beers after a meal, swapped a few presents, and are now ready to wind down the office and hit the bars for the afternoon/evening.

Saying that, it wasn't the same last year by any means. For some reason we're really getting into it. Prehaps it's because it fell on Friday, or prehaps it's because the office has grown significantly in terms of expats and Thai staff over the past 12 months.

Anyways, good feelings all round here :o Merry Christmas to everyone on this forum :D

A vote for me for hungover, lying on the floor in front of the PC wishing I hadn't drunk as much last night and realising that in a couple of hours I'm going to have to get ready to do it all over again!

And Living in Singapore, means the bars are open till dawn and later. We might not like the early closing hours in Thailand, but it certainly eases the hangovers... :o

Not doing anything tonight the 24th. But its Xmas tomorrow so me and about a dozen mates are going out for the full traditional. After that loads of booze. Only difference from any other weekend is that we'll be eating turkey. The boozing always happens. :o:D

Just read your post again chanchao and see you were only looking for posts from people spending Christmas in Thailand. Apologies.

I'm of the opinion though that Christmas just doesn't feel like Christmas unless you're in the place where you've been brought up. I've had Christmas in BK, HK and Tokyo and this year Singapore. It doesn't matter how many times you hear Cliff Richard or how many bar girls you see in Father Christmas outfits. If you're not seeing the seasons change, seeing you home town decorated, anticipating the end of year build up, catching up with old friends at your local and then having Christmas dinner with your family its never really going to feel like Christmas, however much effort your adopted country puts in.

I'm really looking forward to my Xmas dinner. This is what i'll be having. Though its a choice for the starters, main and dessert.

Cocktails and Canapes on Arrival

Homemade Pate with Cumberland Sauce

Potato & Leek Soup with Basil Croutons

Duck Pistachio Terrine With Cherry

Balsamic Dressing

Traditional Roasted Turkey served with

Roasted Potatoes, Minted New Potatoes,

Creamed Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding,

Garden Peas, Chipolatas with Bacon

& Roasted Turkey Gravy.

Grilled Salmon with Sauteed Bok Choi

with Garlic, served with Creamy

Champ Sauce.

Fillet Steak cooked to your liking and

served with a choice of Potatoes,

Vegetables & Sauces.

Plum Pudding & Brandy Cream

Chocolate & Baileys Cream Mousse

Selection of Cheeses

Tea or Coffee with

Minced Pies

1000B Per Person

Jock, you jammy b##*ard, you got me dribbling reading that post. I have to settle for a bowl of rice soup tommorrow, still beggars and all that.

If I were in the U.K. I would probably be out right now (5.35 GMT) on the road to oblivion :o

Last year I was working in Chonburi and yeah its was just another day there, no big deal, but still its hard to shake off if youve been brought up with it, you have to celebrate Christmas some way, whether it be in a church or a bar, since I havent been to church since I was a nipper I would always opt for the bar.

‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house

Was a rumbling, a mumbling that Santa’s a louse!

“Santa’s not real!” says your eight-year-old sage

Well, what do you say in this Internet age?

Don’t tell him to listen, just ask him to sit

And watch the computer as you navigate it

If your kids are anything like mine, you’ve already heard outbursts like this from my son, “Ian’s big brother says Santa’s a fake!” These blasphemous rumors going around grade school would break your heart. No such thing? How can the words spill out of kids too young to remember a world without the web?

Help is but a click away! There’s a government organization that will save your credibility and the faith of your little ones. It is none other than NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command, a joint United States/Canadian mission based within Cheyenne Mountain, in Colorado. They’ve been tracking Santa since the mid-50’s, first with Radar, and now using their state of the art satellite systems. Rudolf’s bright red nose emits what they call “a phenomenal infrared signature” that makes their job easier. Since 1997, Santa’s nighttime mission has been accessible via the web (noradsanta.org). Just imagine, this Christmas Eve your kids can be bouncing around the house screaming Santa’s coordinates as he makes his way around the world. “Mom, Santa just flew over the house

Deputy Director of NORAD public affairs, Major Douglas Martin, the man in charge of Santa Tracking. This jolly Canadian admitted, “Yes, it’s the favorite part of my job, very rewarding…it touches the lives of so many.” He’s not joking. Last year they had 294 million hits from sixty countries and fielded 27,000 phone calls from eager kids. This year, Major Martin has obtained help from ex-Beatle, Ringo Starr. Was it was tough to persuade him to help? “Ringo and Santa are close personal friends,” Martin confirmed, “Santa had put a call through ahead of me.” And so Ringo was only to eager to oblige. In a radio interview Martin shared with me, Ringo remains true to his Beatles days, “The great greeting is for peace and love all over the world,” he said. On Christmas Eve, Ringo Starr will operate the SantaCam to capture images of Santa flying over Thailand

Like many inspired ideas, NORAD’s Santa Tracking started by accident. In 1955, a local store advertised a Santa Hotline inviting kids to call. However the phone number was mistyped. It connected kids instead to the Commander in Chief’s operations hotline. Colonel Harry Shoup took the first call from an excited child and thanks to his quick wit, said that they were checking radar data and could locate Santa’s route from the North Pole. A Christmas tradition was born and has continued every year to this day.

Type http://www.noradsanta.org and soon you will find

A renewing of faith and a changing of mind

Your kids, they will sit there and glow with delight

As they watch dear old Santa fly through the night

From Thailand to Moscow, from Bombay to Rome

They’ll see Santa speed by on route to your home

These guys in the mountain, so clever, so quick

They’ve got Santa covered from Shanghai to Brunswick

Ringo Starr is on board, to help out the crew

And watch the night sky over Thailand, it’s true!

Ringo’s our hero for adding his cheer

He’s a great pal of Santa and all his reindeer

No longer will anyone grumble or grouse

Now that Santa’s as real as the click of their mouse

On the night before Christmas all parents must shout

“Three cheers to great NORAD! Good job, you're far out!”

believe it kid's, Santa is real

Ringo's on board?? :D

Anyways, been so busy I hadn't given the whole Christmas thing much thought. Then, earlier my Father called, my Sis and a few others, plus the emails have started rolling in from 'back home' and well, all of a sudden, I'm right in the siprit!

I guess it really gets down to family/friends and I'm humbly reminded, I'm pretty fortunate. Merry Christmas all, take care and good cheer! :o

This is my eight Christmas in Thailand and even if I somehow should like to slow down on the Christmas tradition, its usually end up as below.

Starting early December, buying present and sending to Europe.

Full Clean of our home and set up the Christmas tree, 2-3 days before Christmas.

Christmas eve with pork ribs, sausages, rissoles and potato’s to dinner and rice pudding to dessert. Beer & snaps.

Later on we open presents from Europe and finish the evening with cakes from abroad, and coffee.

Today and tomorrow is days together with family and we usually eat buffet breakfast together today and lunch tomorrow at a local hotel.

Merry Christmas.

:o

• 4 years later...
‘Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house

Was a rumbling, a mumbling that Santa’s a louse!

“Santa’s not real!” says your eight-year-old sage

Well, what do you say in this Internet age?

Don’t tell him to listen, just ask him to sit

And watch the computer as you navigate it

If your kids are anything like mine, you’ve already heard outbursts like this from my son, “Ian’s big brother says Santa’s a fake!” These blasphemous rumors going around grade school would break your heart. No such thing? How can the words spill out of kids too young to remember a world without the web?

Help is but a click away! There’s a government organization that will save your credibility and the faith of your little ones. It is none other than NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command, a joint United States/Canadian mission based within Cheyenne Mountain, in Colorado. They’ve been tracking Santa since the mid-50’s, first with Radar, and now using their state of the art satellite systems. Rudolf’s bright red nose emits what they call “a phenomenal infrared signature” that makes their job easier. Since 1997, Santa’s nighttime mission has been accessible via the web (noradsanta.org). Just imagine, this Christmas Eve your kids can be bouncing around the house screaming Santa’s coordinates as he makes his way around the world. “Mom, Santa just flew over the house

Deputy Director of NORAD public affairs, Major Douglas Martin, the man in charge of Santa Tracking. This jolly Canadian admitted, “Yes, it’s the favorite part of my job, very rewarding…it touches the lives of so many.” He’s not joking. Last year they had 294 million hits from sixty countries and fielded 27,000 phone calls from eager kids. This year, Major Martin has obtained help from ex-Beatle, Ringo Starr. Was it was tough to persuade him to help? “Ringo and Santa are close personal friends,” Martin confirmed, “Santa had put a call through ahead of me.” And so Ringo was only to eager to oblige. In a radio interview Martin shared with me, Ringo remains true to his Beatles days, “The great greeting is for peace and love all over the world,” he said. On Christmas Eve, Ringo Starr will operate the SantaCam to capture images of Santa flying over Thailand

Like many inspired ideas, NORAD’s Santa Tracking started by accident. In 1955, a local store advertised a Santa Hotline inviting kids to call. However the phone number was mistyped. It connected kids instead to the Commander in Chief’s operations hotline. Colonel Harry Shoup took the first call from an excited child and thanks to his quick wit, said that they were checking radar data and could locate Santa’s route from the North Pole. A Christmas tradition was born and has continued every year to this day.

Type http://www.noradsanta.org and soon you will find

A renewing of faith and a changing of mind

Your kids, they will sit there and glow with delight

As they watch dear old Santa fly through the night

From Thailand to Moscow, from Bombay to Rome

They’ll see Santa speed by on route to your home

These guys in the mountain, so clever, so quick

They’ve got Santa covered from Shanghai to Brunswick

Ringo Starr is on board, to help out the crew

And watch the night sky over Thailand, it’s true!

Ringo’s our hero for adding his cheer

He’s a great pal of Santa and all his reindeer

No longer will anyone grumble or grouse

Now that Santa’s as real as the click of their mouse

On the night before Christmas all parents must shout

“Three cheers to great NORAD! Good job, you're far out!”

believe it kid's, Santa is real

Having lived in Colorado Springs for over 11 years, NORAD was always out my front door. If one goes there I would highly recommend a site tour of NORAD. It was years ago that I took one and from what I remember you had to sign onto a waiting list and it was always a few weeks booked up.