Importing Of Personal Household Goods

I have searched everywhere on here and have not found what I was looking for, so hopefully this is not a reduntent post. If so I appolozise. I just rolled my one year work permit into a one year retirement visa and am thinking of moving everything from my home in China to my home here in Chiang Mai. My question is, am I able to bring in a container of my personal house old goods, (clothing,furniture,stereos and so on) with out paying duty? I have heard over the years that I would be able to bring in one shipment, but have never verified. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I have searched everywhere on here and have not found what I was looking for, so hopefully this is not a reduntent post. If so I appolozise. I just rolled my one year work permit into a one year retirement visa and am thinking of moving everything from my home in China to my home here in Chiang Mai. My question is, am I able to bring in a container of my personal house old goods, (clothing,furniture,stereos and so on) with out paying duty? I have heard over the years that I would be able to bring in one shipment, but have never verified. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

If you are on a work permit, you have 6 months after starting a job to move your stuff in tax free, after which tax is payable....

suspect you may have missed the boat on this one...

Thanks Soutpeel and Mario2008. I was on a one year work permitt and knew about the 6 month thing, but I was not sure if I was going to stay full time here again, so did not move the house. Now that I am on a one year retirement visa, I may well have missed the boat. Looks like I'll have to wait untill I start a new project ehre and have another work permit. Thanks to you both for your responces...

There is no duty free entitlement for retirement visa holders. :o

I suggest you find a Thai based shipping company. Tell them what you want to import

and they should be able to negotiate a "fixed fee" for the importation.

It is then up to you to decide if it is worth it.

If you're married to a Thai and she lives out of the country I believe for a year or more she can ship in the stuff free.
Actually it is 4 years as far as I know I shipped all my house hold goods from Perth to Thailand in my wifes name ( 20 ft container ) we had to make a list of every thing we shipped and also being asked to take pics of every thing. Also you can not ship more than 1 item of a certain product. ie you can send 1 refrigerator but not 2. But then again when every thing arrived over here nothing ever got checked

the container never got opened. Since we paid I guess a bit of tea money to the custom :o

If you're married to a Thai and she lives out of the country I believe for a year or more she can ship in the stuff free.
Actually it is 4 years as far as I know I shipped all my house hold goods from Perth to Thailand in my wifes name ( 20 ft container ) we had to make a list of every thing we shipped and also being asked to take pics of every thing. Also you can not ship more than 1 item of a certain product. ie you can send 1 refrigerator but not 2. But then again when every thing arrived over here nothing ever got checked

the container never got opened. Since we paid I guess a bit of tea money to the custom :o

My GF who has just spent a little over 12 months in Australia shipped a pile of stuff back a few months ago...they only need 12 months abroad to do so. Same thing tho, she had about 150kg of stuff, they wanted a comprehensive list and a declaration that it was her gear (I think as opposed to being my gear).

My GF who has just spent a little over 12 months in Australia shipped a pile of stuff back a few months ago...they only need 12 months abroad to do so. Same thing tho, she had about 150kg of stuff, they wanted a comprehensive list and a declaration that it was her gear (I think as opposed to being my gear).

yes I don't disagree with you but I am talking about shipping a 3 bedroom house over here ( 20' container) not just a few hundred KG's

yes I don't disagree with you but I am talking about shipping a 3 bedroom house over here ( 20' container) not just a few hundred KG's

I shipped a container load using my Thai partner's name, only hassle was negotiating the amount of tea money customs would accept to release it.