Reporting Change Of Address

lotus eater

Has anyone had occasion to do this recently at the Chiangmai immigration office? I may be doing this soon, somewhat after the permissible 24 hr limit.

Was wondering

1) how carefully they inquired into the 24 hr period since the move,

2) what, if any, documents they wanted to prov the new address,

3) if they wanted to see docs showing the old address too.

Finally has anyone ever had to pay the 5000 baht fine?

PS

I have raised this query in the Visas etc forum - but would really appreciate knowing how the Chiangmai office treats this matter.

Edited by lotus eater

Has anyone had occasion to do this recently at the Chiangmai immigration office? I may be doing this soon, somewhat after the permissible 24 hr limit.

Was wondering

PS

I have raised this query in the Visas etc forum - but would really appreciate knowing how the Chiangmai office treats this matter.

I moved from Bangkok recently and was not aware of the 24 hour time limit until I read it in a local paper. I left it a couple of days as my 90 day reporting was still a week or so off. At the counter I told them I moved up the day before and they gave me that "Oh yeah" look but I dont think they really care.Its a ridiculous requirement as ,for example, if you drive up here, get a guesthouse etc as a temporaray stop you would be constantly backwards and forwards to immigration.

I have never had a satisfactory answer to why they need to know your address, has anyone ever had a visit...I think not !

Was wondering

PS

Sopry forgot to mention. Did not require any documentation to prove my address. So what the point ???

Was wondering

PS

Sopry forgot to mention. Did not require any documentation to prove my address. So what the point ???

If I understand you correctly, you simply did the next 90 day address reporting from Chiangmai - ie skipped the address change form/process - and told them you'd moved the day before. Also you showed them nothing as evidence of your new, Chiangmai address??? (If I can avoid showing them my rental agreement, which shows the rental start date etc, I'd be much more relaxed - although I could tell them I didn't fully move in until later...etc)

How recent was your "recently" if I may be so inquisitive?

I waited until the 90 day report was due and they didn't say a thing. They didn't ask for any proof at all.

This would be my ideal course; and my 90 day reporting date is barely 3 weeks away.

Was your previous report also at the Chiangmai office, though? (Mine would not be.)

Was this recent?

I'm curious about there being no need to prove address. I had to show my rental agreement and a landlord's document/form (in thai) at Maesai immigration - but maybe that was for the annual visa extension...not sure which.

Edited by lotus eater

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I did report the change of address rather than simply wait until the next 90 day reporting. The process couldn't have been more perfunctory. Nothing other than the relevant form - no proof of new address or even a glance at my passport requested.

If I understand you correctly, you simply did the next 90 day address reporting from Chiangmai - ie skipped the address change form/process - and told them you'd moved the day before. Also you showed them nothing as evidence of your new, Chiangmai address??? (If I can avoid showing them my rental agreement, which shows the rental start date etc, I'd be much more relaxed - although I could tell them I didn't fully move in until later...etc)

If you live in rented accomodation (i.e. with a rental agreement), is it not the owner's responsibility to report this? Or is that just for the police?

Edited by Paagai

Like Paagai says above, I understand it is the homeOWNER who must report your presence. My landlady (the wife of a retired police general, and operator of a resort) was very careful to report that I was living in her rental house. Now when I move, I will have my partner report that I now live at "his" new house. Maybe get my name on the tabien baan, eh?

Like Paagai says above, I understand it is the homeOWNER who must report your presence.

I also think that is correct but recall reading about some folks who got into difficulties because it had not been done even though they were not the owner responsible for reporting.

Does anyone know how the new address reporting situation is for someone how has 2 addresses?

I have a one year retirement visa, one apartment in Phuket, and from last month on a second apartment

in Chiang Mai. I intend to stay a couple a months at each place.

Is it required to register each time going for and back, or can I simply keep my Phuket address? This is where I am registered for the last few years?

i moved last week ( and will be moving again in two weeks ) i went to immigration and said i bye bye this room and move to this room showing him my new address card.

he said tell us when you do your next 90 day report ( mid feb ) they were happy , im happy .

sorted in 30 seconds

dave2

I have never had a satisfactory answer to why they need to know your address, has anyone ever had a visit...I think not !

Yes, they do visit, mainly for those on a marriage visa, but many others too. :o

I am not doubting your word but would like to hear from someone who has experienced a visit and the outcome. In all my years in Thailand, working and mixing socially, with many people I have never heard of one single visit. I did ask in Bangkok Immigration once and was told by the officer, that was always very helpful, that they simply do not have the man/woman power to undertake vists unless its serious case of long term overstay etc..

Yes, they do visit, mainly for those on a marriage visa, but many others too. :o

I am not doubting your word but would like to hear from someone who has experienced a visit and the outcome. In all my years in Thailand, working and mixing socially, with many people I have never heard of one single visit. I did ask in Bangkok Immigration once and was told by the officer, that was always very helpful, that they simply do not have the man/woman power to undertake vists unless its serious case of long term overstay etc..

the only time they would visit you is when you apply for the Non Immi "O" visa and do not have any kids with your spouse as yet. With kids, as in birth certificates that proves both partners are the legal parent of the kid, they would then not bother to visit you. And if they do visit you, they would talk to your neighbour about you and your partner.

As for being fined for not reporting in time, I had to pay 2,000baht about one and a half years ago. Was about 2 days late. I understand that the fine is now 5,000baht.

They have never asked any documents for proof of address. They take whatever you write on the form as is.

Do whatever you can to make note of when the 90 days is due. The hefty fine is surely not worth it and can easily be avoided. Plus it takes less than 5 minutes to do it.

TB..