Walking Street Observations And Pattaya Inflation Watch

MeetJohnDoe

I was out on one of my now infrequent sojourns to Walking Street last nite to check out how low the high-season was turning out to be. For the week between Christmas and New Years, things were pretty quiet. Lucifer's Disco and The Hammer complex were pretty empty. The seating area around the boxing show under Marine Disco, usually filled with groups of Asian tour groups had at most 6-10 people there. The male and female barkers seemed more desparate than usual to attract anyone into their establishments. The Pattaya Beer Garden was full and doing a nice trade, however.

There were some new and notable changes since my last time on the street a few months ago. A couple new discos (Insomnia and one I can't remember) have both opened right on Walking Street. Also, a new sports bar cum pool hall called Goodfellas has opened up in 2nd story space across from Marine Disco. This used to be a somewhat run-down "locals" pool hall before but has been remodeled into a fancy new place with Italian, American, and Thai food, lots of TVs, and pool tables.

Also, at the front entrance to Don Joe Italian restaruant a new cafe space has been opened featuring some of the most expensive coffee I have seen in Pattaya. A latte was B 130 and a plain ole coffee was B 70 or B 80. They have a fancy espresso machine but my experience has been the Thai staff working as baristas can't get the full benefit of these machines and the espresso/coffee is so-so. However, there is also a "Turkish Icecream" vendor there constantly kneeding his icecream (I guess there is something about Turkish icecream that requires this) and who does a really funny "show" when presenting you your cone. I will leave it up to you to order one or watch someone receive theirs.

Finally, I noticed that the chicken doner kabab lady with the cart at the beginning of soi Diamond and Walking Street has raised the price from B 60 to B 70! This, I think, is the highest price I have seen around town. Not long ago, they were only B 50, and can still be found for this price around town.

A couple of nights ago I dropped into a beer bar on walking st bought a beer

to see the price was 110฿. I made a comment about the price, only to have

the owner explain to me that she has to put up the price becaues "now no have too

many farlangs" I thought to myself no wonder with the beer at that price. :o

Couldnt agree with you more Aquanauts!!!

Another example; A few weeks ago I was having my lunch at the same food stall in S/Pattaya

You know the usual chicken fried rice ect. The cost was about 30-40 baht depending on what

I was buying. However I was paying with a 50baht note and letting them keep the change.

So what I thought only 10 or so baht.

Anyway the last lunch I had there cost me 40baht but I only had 30 baht on me. I promised

the lady I would return the next day with the extra money. Her reply was "you no have money

you no have food" I thought gee thanks hey after all the tips I gave you, you have now lost a

customer that provided you with 200-300 baht a week for the sake of 10 baht.

Iam sorry I cant see the logic in that.

Another example; A few weeks ago I was having my lunch at the same food stall in S/Pattaya

You know the usual chicken fried rice ect. The cost was about 30-40 baht depending on what

I was buying. However I was paying with a 50baht note and letting them keep the change.

Anyway the last lunch I had there cost me 40baht but I only had 30 baht on me. I promised

the lady I would return the next day with the extra money. Her reply was "you no have money

you no have food" I thought gee thanks hey after all the tips I gave you, you have now lost a

she probably couldn't remember you - we all look the same to them!!!

LOL

:o

Finally, I noticed that the chicken doner kabab lady with the cart at the beginning of soi Diamond and Walking Street has raised the price from B 60 to B 70! This, I think, is the highest price I have seen around town. Not long ago, they were only B 50, and can still be found for this price around town.

The kebab cart at 2nd Road/soi 13 is far better anyway.

Is there a kebab cart there again?

The Muslim guy who had a cart opposite McDonalds moved to the corner of 2nd Road/Pattaya Tai about a year ago and has a small shop and semi permanent stand at the roadside. They charge 60 for chicken and 70 for beef. These are the only kebabs I trust. I've never had a bug from one yet, but have gotten sick on the walking street kebabs more than once so I no longer buy them.

Edited by tropo

The Muslim guy who had a cart opposite McDonalds moved to the corner of 2nd Road/Pattaya Tai about a year ago and has a small shop and semi permanent stand at the roadside. They charge 60 for chicken and 70 for beef. These are the only kebabs I trust. I've never had a bug from one yet, but have gotten sick on the walking street kebabs more than once so I no longer buy them.

He's not at soi 13 anymore................new delicacy i had tonight was a bag of horse chestnuts at 55 baht a bag , hot though straight off the coals. :o

I have tried the beef and the chicken from there. Very dry meat and the second time the bread was not warmed as it needs to be and tasted stale. I also didn't get sick, but I am looking for better tasting ones. Any ideas?

Edited by Jingthing

I have tried the beef and the chicken from there. Very dry meat and the second time the bread was not warmed as it needs to be and tasted stale. I also didn't get sick, but I am looking for better tasting ones. Any ideas?

The best donor/schwarma I have had in Asia is from Jerusalem Schwarma on Fields Avenue in Angeles City. They make the tastiest ones around...and for around P 40 or less than US$ 1.00 each vs. the now US$ 2.25 or so that prevails in Pattaya. Plus it's actually a shop so much cleaner and hygenic than what you get from the carts/stands in Patters. Never gotton sick from one of their meals.

Sure, it's a little ways to go but when I am visiting there, I always have my fill :o

Used to buy from that lady at the entrance to soi diamond but i noticed over the months that

her kebabs kept getting smaller and smaller, and now she's charging more? there must be

20+ mobile kebab shops around. only 2-3 of them seem to give a consistent fair deal.

Raise prices to compensate for slow business has always been the way to do things here.

Kebabs were raised to 70 baht several months ago.

Kebabs on soi 7 and soi 8 area were still 60 baht in December when I was there.

But I do agree with the beers creeping up. I actually started paying attention when I noticed some charging 95 and others charging 110 for bottles. I prefer draft anyway, and some places started getting my attention when they offered 60 baht or less drafts. Of course, as usual, there is a catch. Some place had quite different sized draft glasses, (I can't call them steins as they are small).

The Sea had drafts. Peppermints had drafts. Lollipop was OK. The Oasis was OK up on Soi Bukao. Sorry, after nine trips I am not cheap, but the pricing was getting out of whach and the service and tip pressure was getting worse also so I started paying attention to things. I spent 90 days in Thailand this year on two separate occasions, and the costs can creep up.k

Raise prices to compensate for slow business has always been the way to do things here.

Kebabs were raised to 70 baht several months ago.

Nope, mobile kebab up nernplubwaan 60baht a few nights ago, and still same amount of chicken etc.

We were talking about the kebab stand on Walking Street/Soi Diamond. They are more expensive than the rest but the best I've had in Pattaya - much better than the stale, dry kebabs at the corner of 2nd and South that many praise.

BTW, anyone try that wacky Turkish ice cream? Any good?

Jingthing

He actually gave my friend a small sample cone!!

Unfortunately, all that beating of the ice-cream made it quite chewy! Not what I'm looking for in ice-cream.

The taste was nothing exceptional either.

Why would you even leave the house with only 30 baht let alone try and buy a 40 baht meal with it!

Why would you even leave the house with only 30 baht let alone try and buy a 40 baht meal with it!

I often leave the house with no money.

I also often only have Bt1000 notes which they cannot change.

If I have no money I am usually armed with some plastic.

If I have genuinely forgot my money, I can get a sub at loads of places.

new delicacy i had tonight was a bag of horse chestnuts at 55 baht a bag , hot though straight off the coals. :D

Suspect you mean sweet chestnut

I was confused also so I looked it up. Horse chestnuts can't be consumed; sweet ones however are delicious, freshly roasted.

BTW, amazing they have them in Pattaya...must come form the far north or are they imported ? :o

LaoPo

A couple of nights ago I dropped into a beer bar on walking st bought a beer

to see the price was 110฿. I made a comment about the price, only to have

the owner explain to me that she has to put up the price becaues "now no have too

many farlangs" I thought to myself no wonder with the beer at that price. :o

Thai logic my friends, pure Thai logic!

new delicacy i had tonight was a bag of horse chestnuts at 55 baht a bag , hot though straight off the coals. :D

Suspect you mean sweet chestnut

I was confused also so I looked it up. Horse chestnuts can't be consumed; sweet ones however are delicious, freshly roasted.

BTW, amazing they have them in Pattaya...must come form the far north or are they imported ? :o

LaoPo

Would be surprised to find in Thailand, China is the most likely place of origin. Or maybe India. the commonly named Indian Horse Chestnut originates for northern India, recognisable by it's pink flower, smoother conker and (I think) smoother bark. If the horse chestnut grows, the sweet chestnut will also

Mostly I find them ok, but sometimes I get a dry one. I've never struck stale bread. It's hard to get a gournet kebab from a street stall.

I'd call these the best of a bad bunch.

LaoPo

They are a regular item sold in Penang. They are advertised as Chinese. I suspect the ones in Pattaya come from the same place.

I was out on one of my now infrequent sojourns to Walking Street last nite to check out how low the high-season was turning out to be. For the week between Christmas and New Years, things were pretty quiet. Lucifer's Disco and The Hammer complex were pretty empty. The seating area around the boxing show under Marine Disco, usually filled with groups of Asian tour groups had at most 6-10 people there. The male and female barkers seemed more desparate than usual to attract anyone into their establishments. The Pattaya Beer Garden was full and doing a nice trade, however.

There were some new and notable changes since my last time on the street a few months ago. A couple new discos (Insomnia and one I can't remember) have both opened right on Walking Street. Also, a new sports bar cum pool hall called Goodfellas has opened up in 2nd story space across from Marine Disco. This used to be a somewhat run-down "locals" pool hall before but has been remodeled into a fancy new place with Italian, American, and Thai food, lots of TVs, and pool tables.

Also, at the front entrance to Don Joe Italian restaruant a new cafe space has been opened featuring some of the most expensive coffee I have seen in Pattaya. A latte was B 130 and a plain ole coffee was B 70 or B 80. They have a fancy espresso machine but my experience has been the Thai staff working as baristas can't get the full benefit of these machines and the espresso/coffee is so-so. However, there is also a "Turkish Icecream" vendor there constantly kneeding his icecream (I guess there is something about Turkish icecream that requires this) and who does a really funny "show" when presenting you your cone. I will leave it up to you to order one or watch someone receive theirs.

I hope that Goodfellas has removed the really loud soundsystem that they installed to advertise their opening! It was so loud that I had to vacate my possy at the Lucky Star, and went into withdrawal symptoms from not having my usual eyeful of WS cuties!