Whats With Uncle Sam's

hatrick

As I understand the gossip, both franchise locations went out of business as Mike's. Somehow someone opened Uncle Sam at the same locations. The beef has returned to real beef, American hamburger style. Prices lower, and easier to order a la carte rather than whole sets.

Maybe I'll try it again as I only ate at Mikes' once and didn't finish the burger as I thought it tasted pretty nasty.

I believe that the franchise owner changed the beef content considerably. As I commented on one of the burger threads, I had a really bad tasting burger a month or two ago. Uncle Sam's has rectified that mistake. I now know why I disliked a burger at a competitor of Mike's last year. Bad meat.

I think everything right now is rumor but I heard that the person that bought the franchise is trying screw Mikes out of their due by changing the name and tossing out their agreement with Mikes. Rumor is that the owner of Mikes is taking legal action against this happening. Some people think that they can do anything in this country without repercussion. Some people would be wrong.

I think everything right now is rumor but I heard that the person that bought the franchise is trying screw Mikes out of their due by changing the name and tossing out their agreement with Mikes. Rumor is that the owner of Mikes is taking legal action against this happening. Some people think that they can do anything in this country without repercussion. Some people would be wrong.

I don't know about LOS but in the USA if the logo is not copyright protected it is 'open game' for anyone to use.

I was told by a supplier months ago that the owner of mikes supplies all the burgers for the chain and had approached him to make and provide the burgers as the franchise owners had to buy from the franchiser (mike) however he told me he wanted the lowest quality meat to increase his profits

Now if I was one of the franchisee;s and I was required to sell shit i would do the same and dump him and get my own quality burger made I ate at Mikes and thought it was absolute tasteless crap and have not eaten there in over 18 months as it really was the worst burger I had had as they steam it rather than over open flame or even on the griddle instead they put a lid over it and it steams that combined with grisley meat not my cup a tea

farangcravings.

grisley meat ! ..... i aggree on that ,five lumps of gristle in every mouthfull !

if you are in moonmuang road walk 50 yards to woodys .... much better

dave2

I have to disagree. The only burger I ever had at Woody's was off taste, as if rancid. Never went back. The only similar burger I ever had in Chiang Mai was at Mike's, just before they switched to Uncle Sam's. Methinks the supply of good minced beef in this town is fickle.

How come I see people go to Mikes all the time and still manage to go out of business!

dunno - but its a bit like nail clippers, some time sharp, sometimes blunt but always shining

now that's poetry.

Recently seen in Laos on main river area in Vientiane - QUICK - same logo - same company?

personally i used to like the burgers from the stall outside cosy corner.. johns place, squashed into shape infront of you.. Much smaller just used to buy 2 of them :o

cheesy chips at Mikes were nice, as were the onion rings, and steak burgers.. not into burger meat if its from a freezer pack...

Gratuitous posting promoting one's business will earn a suspension for spamming. Posts have been deleted. Try not to do it again.

Purely Gossip .....

Franchiser - the owner of the company name and business operations.

Franchisee - the buyer of a right to trade under that name - and be directed to adhere to the Franchiser stock, prices and management of the Franchise. Franchisee pays percentage of takings on monthly basis to Franchiser. Business suffering.....(not new owners of buildings or venues) given the above comments from others regarding taste and quality of product no doubt. Would appear that someone wasn't listening to the customer - or were they, but they were not being heard by a higher power...

MIKES - was sold to a new Franchiser within the last six months. When did you all say that the taste and quality had changed??? Old owner - remember the " QUICK" business mentioned by me earlier in Laos - or is it someone else trying it out there - purely speculation on my part....

The owners of the two sites mentioned have not changed, just the business partnership to "UNCLE SAMS". I believe better quality product and better local supplies are being used and cheaper.

MIKES in the old city must be still using the same product as you have all indicated in your comments above - so I am told by a passing stranger as he remarked that, the burgers are better..... elsewhere.

So that is as much as I can write you about the current MIKES Vs UNCLE SAM saga - may the best burger win. The above comments are purely speculation and grand gossip - and any actual factual comment may only come from the businesses themselves - but as a forum we each have a right to pose our unbiased comments. Have i been that?

Not really, you clearly are biased favorably towards Uncle Sam.

So that is as much as I can write you about the current MIKES Vs UNCLE SAM saga - may the best burger win. The above comments are purely speculation and grand gossip - and any actual factual comment may only come from the businesses themselves - but as a forum we each have a right to pose our unbiased comments. Have i been that?

Edited by swain

Yes, but the alternative interpretation of the word Uncle is I SURRENDER. For example, in a wrestling match, your opponent has you by the short hairs, you cry UNCLE and you have assumed the female, submissive position. Thus by calling an eatery featuring the great American foodstuff, the hamburger, UNCLE, the owners have struck a loud clarion call against American imperialism and homophobia. In other words, it is like America saying, we have SURRENDERED and we now welcome your aggressive male oriented sexual advances.

Just a thought ...

they still put too much lettuce and tomatoes on it.

Not possible, IMHO.

To inform all interested parties. the current Franchisor took over on 1st January 2008. he has constantly been trying to improve an already great Burger. The one being used is 100% Beef, it is made under stringent conditions by a first class Americam Company in Bangkok, to Mike's Recepe, tested for no bone and no gristle, and finally a bacteria test. It is without doubt the best and SAFEST beefburger available. Mike's is proud to have a contract for this burger in Chiang Mai.

And, Yes, some of you are correct. The change of name to the two shops, in our solicitors opinion, is illegal, and appears to be a Frahchisor trying to avoid paying his Royalty Fee. and steps are being taken to see that the matter is corrected as soon as possible, so you can continue to enjoy Mike's without travelling to the other outlets. Interesting to see that the menu at Uncle Sam's is very similar and the outlet design has not changed. In other words, It's good enough to use, but not want to pay for the right !! And of course it's a locally produced Thai Beef burger.

FRANCHISOR.

they still put too much lettuce and tomatoes on it.

Not possible, IMHO.

To inform all interested parties. the current Franchisor took over on 1st January 2008. he has constantly been trying to improve an already great Burger. The one being used is 100% Beef, it is made under stringent conditions by a first class Americam Company in Bangkok, to Mike's Recepe, tested for no bone and no gristle, and finally a bacteria test. It is without doubt the best and SAFEST beefburger available. Mike's is proud to have a contract for this burger in Chiang Mai.

And, Yes, some of you are correct. The change of name to the two shops, in our solicitors opinion, is illegal, and appears to be a Frahchisor trying to avoid paying his Royalty Fee. and steps are being taken to see that the matter is corrected as soon as possible, so you can continue to enjoy Mike's without travelling to the other outlets. Interesting to see that the menu at Uncle Sam's is very similar and the outlet design has not changed. In other words, It's good enough to use, but not want to pay for the right !! And of course it's a locally produced Thai Beef burger.

FRANCHISOR.

and this one is the original outlet near Thapae Gate? Patties from a first class American company. Totally confused on where is what. Too many burger stalls!

shall give it a try. so far Woody's burger seems to be the best.