Security To Be Stepped Up In Bangkok On New Year's Eve

george

Security to be stepped up in Bangkok on New Year's Eve

BANGKOK: -- Security will step up at 11 key areas in Bangkok during the countdown to Year 2009.

These areas cover the Victory Monument, Major Ratchayothin shopping complex, Seacon Square shopping plaza, Central World, Khaosan Road, Chitralada Villa, Si Sao Thewet Intersection, Morchit Bus Terminal, Soi Nana, Central Pinklao, and Saphan Kwai.

Most of these areas saw bombs exploding on New Year's Eve two years ago.

"We will ensure public safety," Deputy Metropolitan Police Commissioner Maj Gen Wiboon Bangthamai said Tuesday, "We have a plan. We have also received cooperation from the armed forces and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration".

-- The Nation 2008-12-29

BANGKOK: -- Security will step up at 11 key areas in Bangkok during the countdown to Year 2009.

These areas cover the Victory Monument, Major Ratchayothin shopping complex, Seacon Square shopping plaza, Central World, Khaosan Road, Chitralada Villa, Si Sao Thewet Intersection, Morchit Bus Terminal, Soi Nana, Central Pinklao, and Saphan Kwai.

"We will ensure public safety," Deputy Metropolitan Police Commissioner Maj Gen Wiboon Bangthamai said Tuesday, "We have a plan. We have also received cooperation from the armed forces and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration".

-- The Nation 2008-12-29

A cunning one, Baldrick!! :o

I get such a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that the same guys who can't stop old ladies from taking over airports will be protecting us.

:o .... Lets hope that they can stop the bombings this year, with all the political unrest I would imagine that allot of people would try to cause havic over the newyears :D

It is sad that the need for stepping up security is here, but I guess with all the fanatics and looney toons out there it is a need for it...

What do they gain from killing a few people? not all press is good press...

I hope we can all get in and out of the new year safely...

Happy New Year..

Let me see.......................Two years ago after the TRT/PPP lost power, there were several bombings around Bangkok!!!!!!

The Keystone cops couldn't find the culprits!!!!!!!!!!!!

A short time ago the TRT/PPP lost power again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody see a circle of events here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The security authorities I'm afraid inspire NO confidence in their ability to protect the public.

I for one will not be anywhere near those areas.

A happy and safe new year to everyone.

Noticed that at Phahonyothin MRT the entrances have got a proper security check, with walk through metal detectors, hopefully the security guards will wake up when the alarm sounds. :o

I don't hold out much hope though when the BIB have a plan - let's face it, they couldn't find their way out of an elevator.

I get such a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that the same guys who can't stop old ladies from taking over airports will be protecting us.

:o .... Lets hope that they can stop the bombings this year, with all the political unrest I would imagine that allot of people would try to cause havic over the newyears :D

And...what bombings would you be referring to? Do you know something that we don't? :D

Here's the "specific info" provided by the US Embassy:

Warden Message: Holiday Celebrations

In the past, there have at times been bombings in Thailand, and Bangkok specifically, during the New Year holiday period. With that in mind and considering the changing political environment in Thailand over the last several months, we advise American citizens to exercise good judgment and common sense in deciding how and where to enjoy their New Year’s celebrations.

We remind American citizens to pay attention to their surroundings, be aware, and as always, avoid large crowds in public when possible.

Reminds me of the Department of Homeland Security messages before the raised the terror alert levels... We think somethings going to happen. We don't know when, we don't know where, just be scared!

I'll just visit with my babies and then enjoy a San Miguel on the balcony of my apartment for New Year's Eve. I loathe karaoke and can't stand most of the "club scene" in Bangkok.

-- The Nation 2008-12-29

A cunning one, Baldrick!! :o

I hope that plan does not include locking up all emergency exit to prevent abuse by terrorists.

Noticed that at Phahonyothin MRT the entrances have got a proper security check, with walk through metal detectors, hopefully the security guards will wake up when the alarm sounds. :o

I don't hold out much hope though when the BIB have a plan - let's face it, they couldn't find their way out of an elevator.

Every MRT station has security & bag check - all day everyday prior to going below ground.