Are You Turning Thai?

Neeranam

I've found recently that I hven't a clue what's going on in the world at large, and to be honest I don't really care. I'm very selfishly happy in my own little world.

Has anything happened to you to suggest you are turning Thai?

Have you ever looked at yourself in motorcycle mirror or stored a 5 baht coin in your ear, for example? :o

been here 2 years is there something that should be happening to me?

Yes, you should taste like chicken.

oh ok I will ask my wife and let you know

If she says you taste foul, then you have the answer. :o

so if she says so that means I have turned thai?

Yes.

well I guess the answer to the original question is yes I am turning thai.

I've found recently that I hven't a clue what's going on in the world at large, and to be honest I don't really care. I'm very selfishly happy in my own little world.

Have you ever looked at yourself in motorcycle mirror or stored a 5 baht coin in your ear, for example? :o

I never have worked out what the baht coin in the ear is all about - I often see a guy at market with a 10 Baht coin - <deleted> ??

I agree about the "selfish own little world". After years of having to read/study financial papers, magazines, circulars, news - home and abroad, it is rather nice to switch off and RELAX. You realise after a while that all those things no longer matter and the biggest challenge of the day may well be what to have, or where to go, for dinner.

I now read news headlines only (occasionally reading a topical story in more depth) to keep abreast of world events. Journalism is rarley balanced in it's reporting and facts have now been supplanted by opinions, speculation and sensationalism.

It is initially disconcerting to realise that so many things that were "important" quite simply, no longer have any relevance.

Back to my original home for holidays, I look at everybody with big eyes, at least at the first days. I have the chilli shaker in the inner pocket of my jacket all the time. The biggest shock is, that you can trust others in traffic.

No. And the longer I'm here, the more I know I'm not Thai and could never be. The longer I'm here, the more the differences are defined.

Am I more patient? Yes.

Have my priorities changed? Yes.

Am I as patient as Thais (are purported to be)? No.

Do we have the same priorities? No.

Not turning Thai.

Curiously, I am turning RUSSIAN.

Switched from wine to VODKA SHOTS.

Still using DEODORANT, but give it time.

I approach Russians to talk about the old country. They don't usually speak English, but they don't hit me, so far.

Some gay folks call me a BIG BEAR.

I read all the signs in Russian characters, and pretend to understand.

And who said Pattaya is not Moscow?

Bring on the BORSCHT (which is really good stuff if you haven't tried it).

post-37101-1230646048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

Have you ever looked at yourself in motorcycle mirror or stored a 5 baht coin in your ear, for example? :D

I think not,but now I drive my samlor recklessly as a Thai and feel obliged to help the Wat,its a change! :o

No farang I know of has ever turned into anything resembling a Thai peson socially. I think it is too difficult for us.

Strange though, I have met a lot of Thais that have managed to turn into mockney Europeans in a short space of time. A lot of friends, girls and guys that have married and gone to London and returned within a couple of years with a cokney accent and all the expressions.

I guess that has something to do with the multi-cultural nature of Europe and the west and the fact that English language is taught in schools here.

Edited by Geekfreaklover