Thai Passport To Laos

I have to go next week to Luang Prabang, for some business meetings; and I was planning to travel with my partner.

But today, she just checked her passport and realized that it will be ended in April.

For information, we tried to call Laotian embassy & Lao airlines... but in vain!

So, the question is: Thai national can enter (by air) to Laos with a passport which will expire within less than six months?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Her pasport needs to be valid for at least 6 months according to IATTA database:

Passport required

- Passport and/or accepted passport replacing documents must

be valid for at least 6 months.

Visa required, except for Nationals of Thailand for a max.

stay of 30 days.

Have a look at this webpage from the Lao Embassy website, It says 6 months,

http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/consular%20se...information.htm

It only takes a day to get a new passprt so unless you are leaving sooner she can get it on the 5th when they open again.

Here is a link that has passport office locations and by clicking public services info in Thai about passports can be found.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2633.php

I have to go next week to Luang Prabang, for some business meetings; and I was planning to travel with my partner.

But today, she just checked her passport and realized that it will be ended in April.

For information, we tried to call Laotian embassy & Lao airlines... but in vain!

So, the question is: Thai national can enter (by air) to Laos with a passport which will expire within less than six months?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Lucky you, business meetings in LP, should be fun.

Re the partner's passport, agree with other posters, if there's time (two days?), hit the MFA Passport Office there on Chang Wattana early on Monday and make the application, plead a bit of urgency, then come back and pick it up, next day, hopefully.

My wife & I traveled up to Vientiane with a Thai friend last May. His passport had about three months remaining validity, baht 500 to the Lao Immigration guy solved the problem. However, in your partner's case, the airline might not let her board.

Mac

Thank you thanyaburimac & ubonjoe for your (always) helpfull advices...

We were planning to fly on Monday because my own visa will be expired that day! But regarding the fact that my meeting is on Friday 9th, I will do an extension and she gets plenty of time to renew her book.

Wish you all the best for the coming year

Michel

Thank you thanyaburimac & ubonjoe for your (always) helpfull advices...

We were planning to fly on Monday because my own visa will be expired that day! But regarding the fact that my meeting is on Friday 9th, I will do an extension and she gets plenty of time to renew her book.

Wish you all the best for the coming year

Michel

If your partner goes early on Monday and is going to get the passport on Tuesday. If you can get a flight on Tuesday you would not pay an overstay since they give a 24 hour grace period when leaving from the airport. You would still get a little blue stamp saying you had an overstay of less than 24 hours.

That might save you a trip to immigration and 1900 baht.

Do you think the airline would let her board since she doesn't need a passport to enter Laos for a couple of days?

It does work only if we were entering by land, without passport (only ID card) Thai national get 72 hours; with passport (even expired) they get 30 days. That was the point of my question, but I forgot about IATA rules.

Do you think the airline would let her board since she doesn't need a passport to enter Laos for a couple of days?

It does work only if we were entering by land, without passport (only ID card) Thai national get 72 hours; with passport (even expired) they get 30 days. That was the point of my question, but I forgot about IATA rules.

"... with passport (even expired) they get 30 days." Even an EXPIRED Thai passport? First I've heard of this. She done thus before at Nong Khai-Thanaleng across the bridge?

What happens on the Thai side at Immigration? How about the Lao side, both with an expired passport and not using the Thai issued "border pass."

Mac

For a Thai it is not necesary to have a valid Thai passport to enter Thailand. Sh can enter with an expired passport or even with just her ID card. All she needs to do as a Thai is to present proof that she is Thai and she must be allowed entry.

For a Thai it is not necesary to have a valid Thai passport to enter Thailand. Sh can enter with an expired passport or even with just her ID card. All she needs to do as a Thai is to present proof that she is Thai and she must be allowed entry.

I think the OP is talking about going to Laos.

Mac

That has me thinking My girl comes from amnat chareon, with no passport,could i take her across the chong-mek border crossing to pakse in laos for 3 days,I heard it's worth seeing.

regards songhklasid

Yes she can get a border pass for 3 days that can be extended at Lao immigration. She can get a border pass in Chong Mek for 30 baht if she gets it at gov. office or a little more if from a travel agent. She just needs her ID.

You would need to get a visa on entry for Laos. The cost is 1500 baht or $35 US and you will need one photo.

What kind of visa or entry are you on? Remember you only get 15 days when coming back on a visa exempt entry.

If you are on single entry or tourist visa you could stop by Phibun immigation and get a re-entry permit to keep your current permit to stay.

Thanks for the information, I'm on a 30 day visa issued on arrival from australia, If I go to laos early in the trip, I will only get 15 days on re-entry is that correct,if so that could change matters, thanking you again for info. regards songhklasid.

Thanks for the information, I'm on a 30 day visa issued on arrival from australia, If I go to laos early in the trip, I will only get 15 days on re-entry is that correct,if so that could change matters, thanking you again for info. regards songhklasid.

You will only get 15 days when you come back. New rules since Nov. 25 15 by land 30 by air.

You would want to time it so that 15 days is enough to finish your trip.