Over Thousand Of Motorists Filmed For Jumping Red Light

george

Some are missing the point here, it has nothing to do with trying to reduce traffic accidents, just another revenue collector,..greed in another guise,.

Oh I'm sure it's a revenue collector, just like in other countries, but if it reduces accidents and saves just one life then it has done it's job.

For once I'm going to support the BIB on coming up with something a little more sensible.

I don't think the BiB came up with this idea, thats one less corner they can collect the tea money :o

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's a start. But I'm afraid 500,- Baht for driving on red light will be to low a fee and will only and as usual punish the poorest offenders.

Why not give a fee after how your income is which is done in some European countries.

500 Baht fee = 0- 10K Baht monthly income

5000 Baht fee= 25-50 K Baht monthly income

10000 Baht fee= 50- 100K Baht monthly income

25000 Baht fee= 100K - and up Baht monthly income

Why not many places in thailand already do double pricing... oh wait those places base it on skin tone not monthly income :o

Then in the USA there is the old adage of what happens when you are not the one driving your car when the camera takes the photo of your license plate, are you still liable? This is why the camera used in the city I lived in not only takes a photo of the license plate but also of the driver. Perhaps we will all be driving around with paper bags covering our heads.... :o

If only the ugly ones did that would be fine :D

In the old days, I went thru an amber light (honestly, it WAS amber!!). A plod stopped me round the corner and signalled me to stop. I wound down the window and he pointed to the lights and said in his best English......"led, led". I retorted back to him....."lamber, lamber' and drove off!! Nothing happened.

Anyway, I am 100% behind these new cameras if used properly and in accordance with the law.

Maybe now the BIB will do something about all the cars and motors that drive around without number plates

If not This will only increase the number of cars that remove the rear numberplate so that they than can not be fined..

..and in the USA they sell a 'reflector plate*' just for this purpose.

*A semi-clear piece that fits over the license plate and allows the plate number to be visible but when the flash of the camera hits it the number is not visible.

:o

We cannot use them in UK they are classed as illegal. :D The cop cars here have ANL system fited that reads every number plate and checks it against Insurance, Road tax, MOT certificates and Drivers etc. No Escape.

I'll be surprised if they actually get many payments. For starters, Thais don't expect demand for payments in the mail. Because it's annoying/alarming/uncommon, most will chuck the paper in the trash bin. Secondly, Thais are great for excuses. They'll show up and say any number of things to try and wriggle off the hook. Thirdly, in a country with such a stratified social order, many of those with letters will just make their social strata known to the cops on duty, and there'll be wais and 'mai pen rais' and perhaps a friendly slap on the back and with a chuckle.

A couple days ago, I posted a mention on T.Visa on how I estimate roughly 10,000 to 12,000 vehicles per hour go through red lights - just in my small city of Chiang Rai (between 6 am and 9 pm, every day). I don't think that anyone here has ever been ticketed - I certainly have never seen anyone ticketed for a moving violation - and that's in ten years of driving here every day.

If they can target red light jumpers, how about targeting drivers who dangerously cut corners on blind curves and within intersections. Cutting corners, especially at high speed, is probably the #1 cause of traffic accidents.

In the old days, I went thru an amber light (honestly, it WAS amber!!). A plod stopped me round the corner and signalled me to stop. I wound down the window and he pointed to the lights and said in his best English......"led, led". I retorted back to him....."lamber, lamber' and drove off!! Nothing happened.

Anyway, I am 100% behind these new cameras if used properly and in accordance with the law.

I had another 'interraction' with one 'BIB' once--I approached a traffic light and as it was turning yellow [ amber] I duly slowed to a stop--the car behind me nearly rammed me up the arse--at this point the driver got out and came to my window shouting at me, in poor english, 'why you stop it yellow?'--he was a police officer--I just grinned and apologised!

EDIT--This was about 9 years ago when I first started driving here and didn't know how to drive the Thai way--now I go thru' on red--if the other cars are!

Edited by haybilly

I hope nobody considers making up some fake plates/cloning from similar vehicles or just dirty darn right stealing some from another.

You mean like this? :o

--Speed camera pimping attack--

"In a brilliant physical-world example of what happens when too much value is placed upon open identification systems for determining reputation, a group of high school students are setting off speeding enforcement cameras using fake license plates belonging to their enemies."

zdnet

I watch Mythbuster once on the refflector plat (and other devices, including clink film). Save your money, they all do not work.

Mythbusters are bulls#it.

Do you really think that they are going to educate the public on network TV about how to break the law ?

Over thousand of motorists filmed for jumping red light

BANGKOK: -- The 1,000-plus motorists filmed jumping a Bangkok red light yesterday can expect a Bt500 traffic ticket in the mail soon.

"We will send the photo of their offence to them within seven days," said Col Wanchai Yoosaeng of the Traffic Police.

"We can locate where the offenders live through their licence plate numbers. The records are available at the Land Transport Department," he said after finishing the first day of the redline camera system at 30 intersections in the capital.

Running a red light is a common cause of accidents, which often cause deaths and injuries.

-- The Nation 2008-12-31

Rough justice I'm afraid.

Sympathies for those that simply made an error, but it is one of those absolutes, you don't drive through a red light.

Observing common rules doesn't seem to be a Thai strong point so this may appear to be a license to print money, maybe The Govt won't need to worry too much about the Thai GDP next year after all. :o

Well if you don't like these laws, then why not close down the airport until the government is removed.

Then get someone who does what you want tot do.

that's funny, thanks for the chuckle. Now that you mention it, I've got a slew of reasons I'd like to close the airport down for:

---- barking dogs everywhere / no animal shelters / irresponsible dog owners

---- blasting noise in every shopping mall

---- blasting noise in every public bus

---- rude drivers

.....so where can I get a gaggle of like-minded people together, to go march on the airport? I hear the food and music there are quite good. Apparently, the security at the entryways leaves much to be desired. I don't think they even close doors to a mob marching up the approach road.

If you not cross a red traffic light you will never have to pay a fine, simply as 1+1=2

Hopefully it is simple, but I haven't seen the details. I wonder how much leeway is given at busy intersections when one can stuck motionless crossing the line and the light changes to red?

When i attended the classes in Sukhumvit LTD they told me that you should not cross the intersection or drive into the intersection if it's blocked. I.e. even if the light is green you are to wait until it's clear to cross over without having to stop in the middle of busy intersection. Amazingly it also helps with the general flow of traffic. Free lessons available in the city of Singapore for anyone interested :o

The problem is the red signal is too long,3or4 minute red signals is why they jump them and run the red light.60 second cycles is what they use in the states. 30 seconds red 3 amber 27 green.This keeps all directions moving. :o:D:D

In Thailand the cops can switch to Red manually and then catch even more runners....good game

Well it's a start. But I'm afraid 500,- Baht for driving on red light will be to low a fee and will only and as usual punish the poorest offenders.

Why not give a fee after how your income is which is done in some European countries.

500 Baht fee = 0- 10K Baht monthly income

5000 Baht fee= 25-50 K Baht monthly income

10000 Baht fee= 50- 100K Baht monthly income

25000 Baht fee= 100K - and up Baht monthly income

Carefull here, this is where it's gonna end up with fines based on income...

One of Finland's richest men has been handed a record 170,000 euros speeding ticket, thanks to the country's policy of relating the fine to your income. Jussi Salonoja, the 27-year-old heir to a family-owned sausage empire, was given the £116,000 ticket after being caught driving 80km/h in a 40km/h zone.

Helsinki police came up with the figure after tax office data showed that Mr Salonoja earned close to £7m in 2002.

Full story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3477285.stm

More or less 8.5M baht for driving 80kph....

The Thai system must have a safety feature built in so that it never catches Hi-So cars like Benz or Lexus

Over thousand of motorists filmed for jumping red light

BANGKOK: -- The 1,000-plus motorists filmed jumping a Bangkok red light yesterday can expect a Bt500 traffic ticket in the mail soon.

This was only in the first 20 minutes !!!

Thai bureaucracy will be especially efficient when it comes to introductio of a new system which coincides with a public holiday period....

When i attended the classes in Sukhumvit LTD they told me that you should not cross the intersection or drive into the intersection if it's blocked. I.e. even if the light is green you are to wait until it's clear to cross over without having to stop in the middle of busy intersection. Amazingly it also helps with the general flow of traffic. Free lessons available in the city of Singapore for anyone interested :o

Actually the lessons in Singapore can be very expensive if you are not careful, and this is one of the reasons why the driving is so much better. I think I read in the Straits times that police were concerned because they had arrested 18 drivers for drink driving offences over the Christmas holiday...... sounded like a rising trend..

Guest Bellini
Some are missing the point here, it has nothing to do with trying to reduce traffic accidents, just another revenue collector,..greed in another guise,.

Bad for your karma. Let's hear from you again after you lose a loved person because some driver ran a red light.

If you not cross a red traffic light you will never have to pay a fine, simply as 1+1=2

Hopefully it is simple, but I haven't seen the details. I wonder how much leeway is given at busy intersections when one can stuck motionless crossing the line and the light changes to red?

You should never enter a crossing when there are some cars blocking it, even the light is green.

..... can expect a Bt500 traffic ticket....

is it enough, should be 5000..... :o

Agree + a 3 month driving ban FOR A FIRST OFFENCE.

2nd time should be 10,000bt + 6 months

3rd and last time 6 months imprisonment + a lifetime driving ban.

Strictly enforce it, and hundreds of people will live to see another year

I have moved 3 times since I registered my Thai motorbike. My bike is still registered at the old address. How would this system work without a proper address?

P

Thank goodness finally someone made sense, @ post 23 pmcd243 has made a very valid point in a country where Somchai the driver still has his licence address back where he hailed from (x years back) when he gained his first piece of paper to steer a vehicle now of course lives many many kms away.

Of course his Tabien Ban is still back where he hails from and in his new location he pays baht 100 to have an address for his vehicle in that location verified (of course they don't know him from a bar of soap) - I would expect that the pile of "running red light" infringement notice should will need a room of their own at the dead letter office if there is such a thing here in Thailand

For the doubters as a farang with stat dec for address in Nonthaburi - Vehicle registered against an address up here in the North East of Thailand address service provided courtesy of the people at the vehicle registration department ??????? :o

Licence of course (5 year) address that I moved from 2 years back.

Red Light cameras great idea and I hope it cuts down on the senseless running of redlights but to expect it to be a revenue earner or for anyone to come forward and actually own up and pay - I am a doubter I sincerely hope I am proven wrong but I don't think so.

Proof of actually living address differing from Somchais originating address shows itself every "voting time" or "Major Holiday" when you witness the mass exodus to the "villages"(read here originating address).