Use What To Open A Coconut?

nokia

What do you want the coconut for?

If just to drink, they use a machete to hack off the top, if to open for scraping for curries or something then they use a flat bladed implement embedded into the ground on a post.

105-03.jpg

Hi folks,

I see locals opening coconuts effortlessly but what do they use? a small axe or knife?

ANd where do you get one?

THanks.

Cheers!

Please do not take offense, I am just curious. If you see locals opening coconuts effortlessly, why can't you just look to see what they use?

But beware because opening coconuts is rocket science compared to sharpening the tool used.

Hi folks,

I see locals opening coconuts effortlessly but what do they use? a small axe or knife?

ANd where do you get one?

THanks.

Cheers!

Just went through this learning process in the last year. A lot depends on the age of the coconut. I can open the really young ones with a single whack of the bush knife. The popular green ones I whittle into a cone until I see the inner nut. These are the best as the juice is good and you can eat the soft flesh.

The old ones, which I happen to like are a pain as you have to the outer husk off. Builds strength I tell myself. I posted some pics on another thread on this same topic.

Wow nokia......you've been here since 2004 and don't know how to sharpen knives or open coconuts??

first you go to college for 4 yrs to learn how to sharpen your knife, then you spend 4 more years getting your masters degree in opening coconuts.

or.....just ask a monkey??

The monkeys don't open the coconuts. :o

As for the effortless image, well, it is not that easy and takes practice to do it correctly without impaling yourself on the blade. And yes, speaking from personal experience here :D

Every local house owner on this island uses the flat blade implement (mai leet down here, no idea about CM) . Nobody here would husk a coconut for scraping with a machete, too much effort and takes too long.

Just went through this learning process in the last year. A lot depends on the age of the coconut. I can open the really young ones with a single whack of the bush knife. The popular green ones I whittle into a cone until I see the inner nut. These are the best as the juice is good and you can eat the soft flesh.

The old ones, which I happen to like are a pain as you have to the outer husk off. Builds strength I tell myself. I posted some pics on another thread on this same topic.

So i need to get a machete or axe for the old coconuts .... which i dont think is available in Tesco or Carefour... maybe in the local markets?

Pls pardon me, as i have been a part-time CM resident until now...

So i need to get a machete or axe for the old coconuts .... which i dont think is available in Tesco or Carefour... maybe in the local markets?

Welcome to CM full time Nokia! I bought my bush knife at the roadside knife market on Canal Road. Head toward the mountain on Suthep Road and turn Left onto Canal Road. There is a long knife and sword stand run by a lady not far from this intersection on your left, just before a Gas Station. They suggested a coconut knife for me that has a blade about a foot long and an 8 inch handle. OTOP Thailand as well. Some day I want one in chrome or stainless steel! Note that the lady that was there when I bought mine spoke a hill tribe dialect and her Thai was very difficult to understand. Once she figured out I was after coconuts, her eyes lit up! You'll have fun!

Thanks T_Dog,

I also noticed a roadside knife stall along Hang Dong Rd.

So how much is it for your machete/coconut knife/bush knife?

Cheers!

Welcome to CM full time Nokia! I bought my bush knife at the roadside knife market on Canal Road. Head toward the mountain on Suthep Road and turn Left onto Canal Road. There is a long knife and sword stand run by a lady not far from this intersection on your left, just before a Gas Station. They suggested a coconut knife for me that has a blade about a foot long and an 8 inch handle. OTOP Thailand as well. Some day I want one in chrome or stainless steel! Note that the lady that was there when I bought mine spoke a hill tribe dialect and her Thai was very difficult to understand. Once she figured out I was after coconuts, her eyes lit up! You'll have fun!

Wow nokia......you've been here since 2004 and don't know how to sharpen knives or open coconuts??

first you go to college for 4 yrs to learn how to sharpen your knife, then you spend 4 more years getting your masters degree in opening coconuts.

or.....just ask a monkey??

Then Spend the next 4 years learning how to undo those bloody rubber bands on plastic bags.

Removing the husk of a mature coconut can be done with a machete, but the implement earlier described is much faster.

If your intention is to drink the juice of the young green coconut, a well sharpened machete will do fine. It takes practice to develop a good swing....best to keep your hands clear at first.

You should take notice of which end of the coconut to cut, it's easier to cut the side where the stem was, as opposed to the pointy end, but you won't be able to set the coconut down without it tipping over.

A few blows at about 45 degrees with enough force to completely cleave a section of husk away is what you should be trying to do...if you don't swing hard enough, you hack away at it.

You shave pieces off until the blade reveals the nut, with practice you will easily cleave a small piece of the shell away...but just enough to expose the flesh...not make a hole.

A hole can be easily poked through the flesh with a knife...or even a straw.

Add ice and rum...and a little paper umbrella and enjoy :o

Edited by pumpuiman

To husk coconut pointed wooden stake in ground like one of the previous pictures.

to open for juice heavy Chinese chopper corner edge of blade closest to handle several wacks in a circle motion around top part of coconut

I tried using the corner edge of chopper/meat cleaver, after several whacks in a circle motion, i got the juice and a few tiny dents on the edge.

That's why i needed to sharpen the knives.

Let's have a New Year laugh on me!!! :o

Then Spend the next 4 years learning how to undo those bloody rubber bands on plastic bags.

You have that problem too? My wife gets a real kick out of seeing me yell in frustration at a rubber band. I sometimes just give up, grab a pair of scissors and hack off the topknot, spilling some of the contents in the process..

This is how I used to get my coconuts husked in short order but, alas, my Apollo has passed on...

apolloyd.jpg

You have that problem too? My wife gets a real kick out of seeing me yell in frustration at a rubber band. I sometimes just give up, grab a pair of scissors and hack off the topknot, spilling some of the contents in the process..

This is how I used to get my coconuts husked in short order but, alas, my Apollo has passed on...

apolloyd.jpg

Same same but different wife :o

Thanks T_Dog,

I also noticed a roadside knife stall along Hang Dong Rd.

So how much is it for your machete/coconut knife/bush knife?

Cheers!

If I remember, it was about 150 baht. The steel looks a bit course but it is hard and sharpens up well. You fill find that the blade is a single side grind, not bevelled from both sides. I guess that is important......

When I started buying coconuts, I asked my maid to give it a go.

We used screwdrivers, hammers, everything we could think of.

It was like gnawing the foot off a dog. Messy.

Not giving up, later on I tried the bog standard meat cleaver that generally comes with a regular set of knives.

As previously mentioned, angle the knife up so the corner closest to the handle hits the coconut.

Then don't be shy, take a healthy WACK! It works.

It works with the juicers, but I imagine you'd need to a serious knife when thick hair is in the way.

For a very good selection of knives, machetes, hatchets, hammers and other forged metal tools, try the shop on Chiang Moi Road, on the left side, near the end of the first block down from the moat. It is a few doors before the first rattan furniture shop. Reasonable prices and rubber band removal tools too.

When I started buying coconuts, I asked my maid to give it a go.

We used screwdrivers, hammers, everything we could think of.

It was like gnawing the foot off a dog. Messy.

Not giving up, later on I tried the bog standard meat cleaver that generally comes with a regular set of knives.

As previously mentioned, angle the knife up so the corner closest to the handle hits the coconut.

Then don't be shy, take a healthy WACK! It works.

It works with the juicers, but I imagine you'd need to a serious knife when thick hair is in the way.

Yep, a meet cleaver is the tool used by every coconut cracker along the Chiang Dao hiway.

Bill97.

For a very good selection of knives, machetes

you could also look at any one of the roadside stalls on the main road to mai jo

regards ..... dave2

Those are quite limited selections compared to the shop I mentioned. Also the shop has been there for at least 20 years with reliable good quality. I think you will not be disappointed if you take a few minutes to check it out.