367 Deaths With 4,107 Injured In Road Accidents over 7 days of New Year's holidays

george

I have been driving here for about 4 years two of them on a fairly large motorbike. I knew it was just a matter of time before someone tried to kill me so I now drive a car. I am constantly in a sate of fear and cannot let my concentration slip for a second. I have never been in an accident in over 40 years of driving. Has anyone ever counted the "skid marks" on the freeways? They are every few metres. By the time I get to work in the morning I am a nervous wreck. What is the answer?
It was crazy and down right dangerous out there on the roads near my home in the of N.E. Isaan yesterday. <deleted>#ken idiots mainly with Bangkok number plates were on a suicide mission.

The road blocks set up in just about every village are a joke, if manned, the BiB were pissed up just sitting around watching the bazaar goings on.

From my point I was an idiot for venturing out in the 1st place, it wasn't till I was half way to where I was going on my short 10km trip that I realised what I was in amongst so completed the mission and breathed a big sigh of relief!

....and Songkran is only 3 months away.

Oh dear! I am planning to hire a car in Bangkok and drive my wife to North Isaan at Songkran so she can see her family. I am an experienced UK driver but have never driven in Thailand before. What is the answer? I was thinking of taking two days to get to Nong Khai by using the back roads and avoiding the freeways where possible. I would want to rent a car from a big company so I know what I'm getting and have good English speaking insurance backup in case I do have an accident.

If I'm on the freeway I can see myself getting into the slow lane and staying there if possible.

Has anyone got any tips? I am by nature a defensive driver with a clean slate aged 61.

I'm 60 and rented many times a car, and drove allover the country, even in BKK traffic jam. I only advise you to rent a big car you will feel more relax in it.

may I recommend this company, there prices are the lowest in BKK, they have first class insurance and perfect service. Once I had an accident, and when I phone them, the first thing they said mai pen rai don't panic, when I took the car back no problem also they payed my guarantee money back with no hassles; The owner is an Indian guy. Hes very honest;

http://www.sawasdeerentacar.com/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been driving here for about 4 years two of them on a fairly large motorbike. I knew it was just a matter of time before someone tried to kill me so I now drive a car. I am constantly in a sate of fear and cannot let my concentration slip for a second. I have never been in an accident in over 40 years of driving. Has anyone ever counted the "skid marks" on the freeways? They are every few metres. By the time I get to work in the morning I am a nervous wreck. What is the answer?
It was crazy and down right dangerous out there on the roads near my home in the of N.E. Isaan yesterday. <deleted>#ken idiots mainly with Bangkok number plates were on a suicide mission.

The road blocks set up in just about every village are a joke, if manned, the BiB were pissed up just sitting around watching the bazaar goings on.

From my point I was an idiot for venturing out in the 1st place, it wasn't till I was half way to where I was going on my short 10km trip that I realised what I was in amongst so completed the mission and breathed a big sigh of relief!

....and Songkran is only 3 months away.

Oh dear! I am planning to hire a car in Bangkok and drive my wife to North Isaan at Songkran so she can see her family. I am an experienced UK driver but have never driven in Thailand before. What is the answer? I was thinking of taking two days to get to Nong Khai by using the back roads and avoiding the freeways where possible. I would want to rent a car from a big company so I know what I'm getting and have good English speaking insurance backup in case I do have an accident.

If I'm on the freeway I can see myself getting into the slow lane and staying there if possible.

Has anyone got any tips? I am by nature a defensive driver with a clean slate aged 61.

A word of advice , driving to Issan during Songkran can be horrendous.

It once took me over 8 hours to drive from Bangkok to Korat, when it shoudl normally take you 3 hours.

I just get in the lane I want--as long as it's not the parking lane and take my time.

Which is one of the problems :o

No lane discipline.

The number of cars I see, creeping along in the outside lane, forcing cars to overtake on the inside. Ridiculous and dangerous.

Assuming you took your test in Europe or America, Scott, you should know better.

Unfortunately over here, drivers are not given the proper education.

Correct, I just drove down from the North yesterday though all the mayhem and the major cause of all the near misses I saw ( I didn't see an accident take place, just the aftermath of about 20), was some idiot drifting along at 50kmh when the rest of world wanted to go at around 90 or 100, worse still if they were doing it in the outer lane!

It is invariably the slow traffic that causes the other idiots to take the risks in the first place.

Also, it seemed that motorbikes were a large part of the stats. When I was coming down the road from Nakhon sawan, bumper to bumper at around 100kmh, suddenly there was an old woman on a motorbike stationary between the 3rd and 4th lanes with cars swerving around her. She was obviously trying to cross the road, like many others I had seen waiting at the side on the way down. With the traffic volume it was near suicide to attempt to cross, but perhaps a combination of alcohol and frustration caused many of them to try and fail. Building underpasses or bridges for motorcycles would go a long way to reducing the accidents, but you would have to build a lot of them.

You have to go along with the driving culture here and drive the same way as the thais (but as safely as possible). "...just get in the lane I want--as long as it's not the parking lane and take my time..." is just causing a problem, so at best you're being selfish....

Driving Test in America? What a joke. Americans don't even know how to write the word U- turn. ( Most of them...) Sorry for the rest. You're only in this country cause there's no discipline, right? They need white faces to tell them what to do, how to drive.....if you don't like this country..why don't you go back, where they took your license away??????

For sure the worst thing I see about Thai roads is the ability to do a U Turn on a road with more than 2 lanes from the fast lane of one side of the carriageway into the fast lane of the other carriageway............... unbelievable!!

For sure the worst thing I see about Thai roads is the ability to do a U Turn on a road with more than 2 lanes from the fast lane of one side of the carriageway into the fast lane of the other carriageway............... unbelievable!!

Driving Test in America? What a joke. Americans don't even know how to write the word U- turn. ( Most of them...) Sorry for the rest. You're only in this country cause there's no discipline, right? They need white faces to tell them what to do, how to drive.....if you don't like this country..why don't you go back, where they took your license away??????

Here we go...the 'Go back home'-brigade has arrived. The people that will make sure Thailand never improves, if they can help it.

I don't think back roads are safer than highways/freeways. If anything, small roads can exacerbate the all-too-common problems brought upon by Thai drivers: cutting blind corners at speed, driving on the wrong side, passing with death wishes, general rudeness, etc. It's probably safer to use the freeway, and drive like a little ol' lady - leaving as much space between you and the person ahead, as the ever-impatient Thai drivers will allow (they'll pass you even while you're slowing for a red light). Oh, and get those rear view mirrors adjusted on both sides, and use them often.

If I was steady with a woman who wanted to travel long distance with her for Songkran, I'd start by trying to get her to sit tight. If that didn't work, I'd get her to travel without me.

rent a car with some extra power, drive the right lane at a speed of 110k and keep enough distance, adjust all your mirrors and keep looking in them, especially the left one. Do look 4 or 5 cars ahead of you, so you have plenty of time to anticipate if necessary. Don't drive in the evening or sunset. When you are entering a cross road lower your speed without using your brakes and go to the middle or left lane when there's a lot of traffic. When you are coming near a U turn go to the middle or left lane, because there is always an idiot who cross lanes just before the U turn or step hard on his brakes, or another idiot who's coming from the other side entering the highway, especially motorcycles and overloaded pick ups.

Turn on some good music, relax and enjoy the ride.

-About the lights off, yes, I have never seen so many cars at night without lights than here, maybe some of those people who bought the license and never learnt that the first thing to do before starting the engine is to put your safebelt and switch on lights.

But if you turn your lights on, you might see more dangerous situations as they develop, and get stressed ! My pen rai ! :o

And every parent knows, the first thing you do upon starting your car, is turn on the in-car TV/video for the kids ! :D

New Year's road death toll increases to 335 throughout Thailand

BANGKOK, Jan 5 (TNA) - The total number of road accident victims throughout Thailand during the first six days of the most dangerous seven-day peak period of the New Year holidays rose to 335, with 3,810 people sustaining injuries, according to Permanent Secretary of the Interior Ministry Phiraphol Tritasavit, speaking on Monday.

Mr. Phiraphol said that on Sunday alone -- the sixth day of the high-risk seven-day peak travel period during the holidays -- a total of 388 road accidents took place nationwide, killing 35 people and injuring 414 others.

The major reasons attributed for the road accidents were driving under the influence of alcohol and speeding, Mr. Phiraphol said. Most of the accidents involved motorcycles.

Total number of road accidents during this New Year holidays was 3,549, less than the 4,121 accidents recorded a year ago, while the number of fatalities at 335 was 34 less and the number of injured persons was 704 less.

The northernmost province of Chiang Rai recorded higher total number of accidents and fatalities during the first six days with 109 mishaps and 21 deaths respectively, he said.

As many New Year revellers are expected to continue returning to Bangkok on Monday to start work, Mr. Phiraphol said police manning checkpoints on highways were instructed to be stringent in applying traffic laws and regulations, especially regarding buses traveling long distances. (TNA)

General News : Last Update : 16:25:14 5 January 2009 (GMT+7:00)

Source: MCOT TNA news

I drive slowly and safely now, but 25 years ago it was a matter of how fast I thought I could get by with going.

Perhaps you have only slowed down because of getting older? Eyesight and reflexes are not quite what they used to be....... Hmmmmmmm

I drive slowly and safely now, but 25 years ago it was a matter of how fast I thought I could get by with going.

Perhaps you have only slowed down because of getting older? Eyesight and reflexes are not quite what they used to be....... Hmmmmmmm

More likely its because as you age you generally start to learn the value of your own life :o

Oh dear! I am planning to hire a car in Bangkok and drive my wife to North Isaan at Songkran so she can see her family. What is the answer?

The answer is don't do it. Thais roads are extremely dangerous, especially at that time of the year. Your wife will be extremely disappointed and ppl will tell you not to 'kit muck'. Sad truth is Thais are fun loving and care free ppl, with no idea of safety or prevention. The country really is an accident waiting to happen.

56 killed, 635 injured in road accidents on 1st 'dangerous day'

BANGKOK: -- A total of 596 road accidents occurred on the first of 'seven dangerous New Year holidays' Tuesday, killing 56 people and injuring 635 others.

And on Day 2:

There were 882 accidents with 97 fatalities and 960 injuries.

And on Day 3:

There were 851 accidents with 83 fatalities and 909 injuries.

And on Day 4:

There were 464 accidents with 52 fatalities and 492 injuries.

And on Day 5:

There were 368 accidents with 22 fatalities and 400 injuries.

And on Day 6:

There were 388 accidents with 35 fatalities and 414 injuries.

And on Day 7:

There were 275 accidents with 32 fatalities and 297 injuries.

For the Seven Day Total:

There were 3,824 accidents with 367 fatalities and 4,107 injuries.

- The Nation / 2009-01-06

Thanks to everyone who gave me some driving tips to get from Bangkok to Isaan during Songkran. I reckon I've got to do it once even if only in order to be able to say "never again!". From what you've said I'll take two days for the trip and stick to the main roads.

Thanks to everyone who gave me some driving tips to get from Bangkok to Isaan during Songkran. I reckon I've got to do it once even if only in order to be able to say "never again!". From what you've said I'll take two days for the trip and stick to the main roads.

2 day's????? are you going from Pukhet to Sakhon Nakhon

It ain't that bad really, I do it all the time and to be honest, the vast majority of accidents causing death are Motorcycles, if you had the same ratio of motorcycles in the UK as you do in Thailand, the UK would also have very high death rates on the roads.

Take your time if you've never driven in Thailand before and drive like an old lady in the slow lane till you get used to it.

Then hire a Fortuner and hit 170 on the highway, no problems !!

I have been driving in Thailand for 18 years and to be honest, it ain't that bad, the motorcycles are definately the worst , especially in a place like Pattaya, it can get pretty hairy.

On the highways of Isaan, you should have no real problems during daylight, be careful at night though as many don't have rear lights working. :o

well, we've probably all said it, in exasperation at one time or another, something like: "man, the people in my town got to be the worst drivers in Thailand!"

Well, I'm not proud to say, my town (Chiang Rai) was statistically the most dangerous town over the too-long New Year's holiday period. .....well, perhaps I should qualify that, Chiang Rai was the most dangerous in regards to traffic deaths and injuries, but Bangkok was the most dangerous overall (tragic nightclub fire).

Edited by brahmburgers

COMMON SENSE IS A VERY RARE THING , I will not add the obviouse for fear of exteranious FLAMING by the all too prevelant .

It's a very rare thing amongst expats on holiday in Thailand too.

well, we've probably all said it, in exasperation at one time or another, something like: "man, the people in my town got to be the worst drivers in Thailand!"

Maybe, but once you've done a road trip in Bangladesh, Thailand seems quite good!