Selling A Bike To A Farang

JimsKnight

Hey folks!

Well the faithful 'blue wolf' CBR 150 will shortly be getting sold on to another farang here in LOS.

What's the deal here?

We've agree on a price the bike is in my name but registered in Chiang Mai. I'm currently away from the province and will not be returning for a while.

The whole 'transfer of ownership' thing is a bit grey in my head.

Has anyone done this on TV and if so what was the deal?

Answers appreciated.

JK

I predict it is going to be a PITA.

I have bought a car & a CB400 - both initially registered OUTSIDE BKK.

In both cases it took over 2 months & many trips to Mor Chit to get it inspected.

The guy you are selling it to needs a letter certifying his address.

You can sign a form all in Thai (might be a power of attorney). Then he has to take all that to his local D(ept) of Land Transport to get the green book changed.

The Amphur doesn't come it to it IIRC.

Ok, just established from my local bike dealership that farang to farang sale of a bike is NOT possible.

Only thai to farang or farang to thai!

Asked around town and the biking farang confirm this.

It seems the law is to prevent farang biking monopolies and unoffical farang dealerships or something.

Can sell but have to do it triangle-like to a thai first then the thai sell on to the farang.

Ok, just established from my local bike dealership that farang to farang sale of a bike is NOT possible.

It seems the law is to prevent farang biking monopolies and unoffical farang dealerships or something.

Can sell but have to do it triangle-like to a thai first then the thai sell on to the farang.

Don't rely on dealerships and other Farang, go to the local Dept. of Transport and just ask what you need to do and what the buyer needs to do and have.

In my experience this is one of the most efficient and helpful government departments.

In both cases it took over 2 months & many trips to Mor Chit to get it inspected.

Two months is not extraordinary. I am still waiting for my green book almost two months after receiving the license plate. What was the purpose of the "many trips" to get it inspected?

<deleted>.. I have both bought and sold cars and bikes to farangs..

Now perhaps your amphur has an odd office.. Thailand is often like that.. But there is now law or rule saying that ownerships transfers cannot happen based on nationality.

Which Changwat ?? I am south too (Phuket)..

The rules are the same for Thai and farang, but we need to have passport copies (v thier ID cards) and must have a current visa stamp and entry stamp.. Also we need a proof of address (letter from immigration, yellow house book, work permit) versus them needing a Tabien Baan..

Which Changwat ?? I am south too (Phuket)..

The rules are the same for Thai and farang, but we need to have passport copies (v thier ID cards) and must have a current visa stamp and entry stamp.. Also we need a proof of address (letter from immigration, yellow house book, work permit) versus them needing a Tabien Baan..

Farang to Farang not a problem- just to clarify what LivinLOS said you do need proof of address which can be in the form of a letter from immigration OR and Letter from your Embassy OR a yellow house book OR a work permit.

Happy Trails!

Yesterday I went to the local Department of Transport and specifically asked this question. The young girls were, as usual, all smiling and helpful, even though it was past official opening hours.

There is absolutely no problem in transferring registration from one Farang to another Farang.