If You Were Reasonably Young And You Were Putting Off Devoting Your Life To A Career For A While

RoastLamb

I can either work in my home country earning a small wage and living in cheap and fairly grim circumstances, or I can move to Thailand and teach English, with no degree or TEFL qualification, earn a small wage and live in cheap but pleasant circumstances.

Which would you chose?

I can either work in my home country earning a small wage and living in cheap and fairly grim circumstances, or I can move to Thailand and teach English, with no degree or TEFL qualification, earn a small wage and live in cheap but pleasant circumstances.

Which would you chose?

What nationality are you? And secondly, teaching in Thailand is not an easy option, if you are serious.

Which would you chose?

What nationality are you? And secondly, teaching in Thailand is not an easy option, if you are serious.

I'm British.

I am a little apprehensive about teaching as I have never done anything like it before, and the prospect of trying to control a group of unruly kids doesn't fill me with joy.

I think I would have to be teaching to adults or at least older teenagers who actually want to learn to have any success.

I don't doubt for a minute that it will be hard but I just can't help but feel that almost anything is better than my current circumstances. I'd much rather try and fail than stay here and have regrets.

starting each sentense with "I" doesn't give you much ground to teach language

Your failure to capitalize the 's' in 'starting', your failure to include a full-stop and your spelling of 'sentence' don't give you much grounds for criticism, but hey-ho - I knew something like this was coming.

Which would you chose?

I did the latter. After 11 years, I realised I should have done the former or even better the former till I was qualified and I could do the latter but earn a large wage.

Still, one can't live one's life regretting everything all the time.

Now, where's the "top-yourself" emoticon.

Which would you chose?

I did the latter. After 11 years, I realised I should have done the former or even better the former till I was qualified and I could do the latter but earn a large wage.

Still, one can't live one's life regretting everything all the time.

Now, where's the "top-yourself" emoticon.

I'm (sorry lt) thinking of doing a TEFL course, but obviously I'm not going to do a degree just so I can teach English. I'm only looking at doing it for a year or so and then I will have hopefully found a new and satisfying direction.

I'm British.

I am a little apprehensive about teaching as I have never done anything like it before, and the prospect of trying to control a group of unruly kids doesn't fill me with joy.

I think I would have to be teaching to adults or at least older teenagers who actually want to learn to have any success.

I don't doubt for a minute that it will be hard but I just can't help but feel that almost anything is better than my current circumstances. I'd much rather try and fail than stay here and have regrets.

If you choose to come and teach in Thailand, there are a few things of which you should be aware.

Firstly, you would be working illegally - you are teaching without a degree, and you will not get a work permit. You will pay for your own TEFL course, and you will most likely pay for your own visa runs and visa extensions. You'll also most likely be paying for your own return flights and accommodation; I think there is a mandatory Thai culture course you have to go through too. In a nutshell, the Thai Government and the schools give you little financial incentive to come here - you invest in it yourself, and you'd be lucky to break even after a year. Also, I would say that Thailand is not particularly cheap, though this depends on where you live in the country and your lifestyle.

In my opinion, by all means consider teaching TEFL for a year, but I think you would be mad to do so in Thailand. You can teach in Japan, Korea and China with a higher paycheck (and legally!), possibly with your TEFL, accommodation and flights included.

Which would you chose?

I would, and I did, come here and sell Time share for lil while till I decided to get back on track. Loved it would never change a thing and I got too live in Pattaya, got plenty of time off, and I always made more bread than an English teacher... No Brainer baby, to be young and male in Thailand W00t!

Get a bit creative, change your life and don't give up so easily. Sorry to say that but with your attitude you will end up no where. It's not that hard to make a decent living if you just sit down and plan well. Unless you do this, stay at home there are enough hopeless English teachers here already.

Which would you chose?

if you are young,stay in the UK,and get better qualifications.To be fair to the thai children you want to teach they deserve people who know how to teach english,its not an easy job,and not suited to everyone.If you got qualified in the UK you could teach at a language school there.In thailand your wages will not be very much,say average 30,000baht per month.As others have said you could come here and sell time share,but its a husslers life,talking people into something they dont really want,and doing in an aggressive tone,do you want that?i can understand your desire to leave a country going down the gurgler,better come here for a visit and se for yourself.

starting each sentense with "I" doesn't give you much ground to teach language

Your failure to capitalize the 's' in 'starting', your failure to include a full-stop and your spelling of 'sentence' don't give you much grounds for criticism, but hey-ho - I knew something like this was coming.

How can you live in a circumstance. You can live in accommodation but not a circumstance.

If you want to work here do something you are qualified to do. You would be a menace as an English teacher.

Which would you chose?

if you are young,stay in the UK,and get better qualifications.To be fair to the thai children you want to teach they deserve people who know how to teach english,its not an easy job,and not suited to everyone.If you got qualified in the UK you could teach at a language school there.In thailand your wages will not be very much,say average 30,000baht per month.As others have said you could come here and sell time share,but its a husslers life,talking people into something they dont really want,and doing in an aggressive tone,do you want that?i can understand your desire to leave a country going down the gurgler,better come here for a visit and se for yourself.

Samuibeachcomber and others have summed it up. We don't need more unprepared, wrongly motivated people teaching Thai kids, or adults. It's also not a real life, going back and forth on visa runs so you can stay in a country where you're obviously not welcome, and you're vulnerable if you have any difficulty with the law. If you're still "reasonably young" this is the best time to upgrade your qualifications, not later when you find you want to settle and have long-term prospects but can't on your current credentials.

If you have some ready skills to contribute, why not find out about volunteering? If you haven't any, best to get some. Then the world's your oyster.

We don't need more unprepared, wrongly motivated people teaching Thai kids, or adults.

Yeah, they do actually. In Thailand in particular, the English is horrible. Everywhere in Asia there is a massive shortage of English teachers. That's why in every single country, they will take virtually anyone with a college degree who is a native speaker. No Asian country, not even Japan, South Korea, etc, requires any sort of teacher training. If you've ever met any of the 20 something teachers in Japan and Korea, you'd realize most of them don't care about teaching at all, they are there to travel and party.

So I think the dude should give it a try. Visas will be annoying for you. You can get a work permit without a degree if you're willing to teach outside of Bangkok, out in the provinces where they have a hard time getting people who can speak English. Go talk to some of the Thai English teachers out in the provinces, they can't even have a basic conversation. Even an unqualified native speaker is better than someone who can't read Green Eggs and Ham.

Go to vietnam or china to teach without quals..

or just go if you have little cash.. this place is PRICEY now since the pound crash.

getting a tefl wont be hard here though.. and much cheaper than tefl courses in uk.

teaching here without a degree you will be working your arse off for little imo. or you can get a fake degree, but its such hassle. Thailand is brimming with Ingrish teachers. (Mostly ones who speak with wierd foreign accents. :o )

certainly get out here for a year, clear your head. but dont bank on any work. maybe remote places you might get a job, but its gonna be subsistance level pay.

(i think)

good luck

Edited by whiterussian

Which would you chose?

I would, and I did, come here and sell Time share for lil while till I decided to get back on track. Loved it would never change a thing and I got too live in Pattaya, got plenty of time off, and I always made more bread than an English teacher... No Brainer baby, to be young and male in Thailand W00t!

Great advice, what Thailand needs more than anything is a few more timeshare salesmen.

Edited by OriginalPoster

p.s: you aint gonna get any career these days without a degree. The best advice I can give you as you are reasonably young.. is stay in the UK. bite the bullet, get a degree in something piss easy. The economy is shot to fuc_k for a few years, so you wont be missing much..Then you can come here. its pricey, but its the only way out of the prison like life of the UK. Or work hard outside Thailand and come here with cash/overseas work. Sorry mate, the system is rigged for those with cash from day one. Maybe you need to come to Thailand to realise that - there are more graduates here than you would believe. The girl selling somtam or behing the cash till probably has a degree here.

My Thai mate 'jo' sells mobile phones at a stall on the street. He used to be a Physics lecturer at Uni. etc etc. More money in second hand phones...

Thought my mate 'Ta' was just another Thai 'goth' .. turns out he is an architect, and built an entire housing estate...(his estate) etc.

Edited by whiterussian

We don't need more unprepared, wrongly motivated people teaching Thai kids, or adults.

Yeah, they do actually. In Thailand in particular, the English is horrible. Everywhere in Asia there is a massive shortage of English teachers. That's why in every single country, they will take virtually anyone with a college degree who is a native speaker. No Asian country, not even Japan, South Korea, etc, requires any sort of teacher training. If you've ever met any of the 20 something teachers in Japan and Korea, you'd realize most of them don't care about teaching at all, they are there to travel and party.

So I think the dude should give it a try. Visas will be annoying for you. You can get a work permit without a degree if you're willing to teach outside of Bangkok, out in the provinces where they have a hard time getting people who can speak English. Go talk to some of the Thai English teachers out in the provinces, they can't even have a basic conversation. Even an unqualified native speaker is better than someone who can't read Green Eggs and Ham.

I understand the OP doesn't have a degree. If he has a degree and is willing to learn about teaching, let him come. However, if he hasn't got a degree, doesn't want to teach kids and doesn't know anything about teaching, then a job in a school in the boonies isn't going to be the answer. If he's just looking for a year or two to find himself why not contact a volunteer agency. A Singaporean friend of mine works as a volunteer with a Catholic mission way upcountry, teaching tribal kids after school and helping run the hostel they live in when they go to school. Worthwhile work and no pretensions. No fleshpots, but no hassles either.

Which would you chose?

Great advice, what Thailand needs more than anything is a few more timeshare salesmen.

Oh yeah and they need a few more sloppy no quals, skint backpacker/"teachers"....besides its not about what Thailand needs, its about what he needs to enjoy a good life here. the difference between the 30,000 you MAY get as no quals or low quals teacher and the 80,000 you can get as a half way decent closer selling Time Share, makes a big difference to your standard of life here.

whiterussian.

Sorry mate, the system is rigged for those with cash from day one.

exactly right .... if you are under 50 with little or no money available , stay away from thailand or you are going to fall a looooong way .... very quickly !

dave2

Some pessimists, some optimists and some realists. Just the cross-section of opinions I was after. Thanks guys.

In my opinion, by all means consider teaching TEFL for a year, but I think you would be mad to do so in Thailand. You can teach in Japan, Korea and China with a higher paycheck (and legally!), possibly with your TEFL, accommodation and flights included.

Yes I'm considering China aswell. I've been to both Thailand and China and for various reasons prefer Thailand, mainly because I don't like cold weather. But I do think there is more chance for a future in China, so it's a tricky decision.

Get a bit creative, change your life and don't give up so easily. Sorry to say that but with your attitude you will end up no where. It's not that hard to make a decent living if you just sit down and plan well. Unless you do this, stay at home there are enough hopeless English teachers here already.

I've thought a lot about what I can do in Thailand that doesn't involve teaching, and have come to the conclusion that without a large amount of start-up capital the options are limited. One of the reasons I would go there to teach is that I would then be in the country and would be in a much better position to find something else than I would be stuck here at home.

This sums up my view on the perpetual arguement perfectly.

p.s: you aint gonna get any career these days without a degree. The best advice I can give you as you are reasonably young.. is stay in the UK. bite the bullet, get a degree in something piss easy. The economy is shot to fuc_k for a few years, so you wont be missing much..Then you can come here. its pricey, but its the only way out of the prison like life of the UK. Or work hard outside Thailand and come here with cash/overseas work. Sorry mate, the system is rigged for those with cash from day one. Maybe you need to come to Thailand to realise that - there are more graduates here than you would believe. The girl selling somtam or behing the cash till probably has a degree here.

My Thai mate 'jo' sells mobile phones at a stall on the street. He used to be a Physics lecturer at Uni. etc etc. More money in second hand phones...

Thought my mate 'Ta' was just another Thai 'goth' .. turns out he is an architect, and built an entire housing estate...(his estate) etc.

I do have a plan for a career, but it doesn't kick in for a few more years. Basically all I want right now is to be living in a place that I like. I don't need a large income. I have already lived in Thailand for a year on and off and know that I can survive on 500 baht per day. I would be happy to stay here and save enough so that I could come to Thailand and just chill for a year. But unfortunately my current wage and the exchange rate mean I would be saving for a long, long time before this is possible. So at this point I would do almost anything that allowed me to sustain a modest lifestyle in Thailand.

Volunteering is not the answer because I enjoy being free and living in a city, so the idea of homestays in the countryside doesn't appeal. As far as I can see the best idea is to save up a nice little buffer of money that will see me through any hard times, get on a plane and start hunting for some teaching work. Once I am there and settled I can then start looking elsewhere for different opportunities.

i am 24, had a good job in the uk (i do not have a degree) unfortuantly was made redundant, I could have chosen to be redeployed within the company (IBM) but decided to do something with my life and gain some life experiance while I am young and am able to enjoy doing so.

If its what you really really want to do, research how much it is going to cost you, save some money, keep some savings if and when you come here (ie as a float incase all goes wrong and u need to go home) or book a open return ticket so u always have a way home :o, and just be realistic.

ie have a plan. I am young myself and do not regrett our decision to come here, I feel extremely lucky to be living somewhere where people only dream of...yes thailand is not for everyone and has its down side too, but when Im on the beach having a bbq on xmass day for example, and all my friends are back at home wishing they were in my shoes, I feel very lucky...I mean that to come accross in a non-big headed way haha

If it all goes wrong or we change our minds we will go home back to the UK, but at least I can look back at this time when Im older and say I did it, and have no what ifs.

Just my view, good luck in whatever you do!