Locaton Of Addresses In Issan

laphroaig

Hi, I wonder if someone with local knowledge can help me.

If I want to find the actual location of a home / village in Issan does the number 3 M 8 mean anything.

I have a delivery address for mail as 3 M 8, (village name), (Amphoe district), Kohn Kaen. (I don't want to identify the persons address on a public board)

The issue I have is that the specific amphoe district is divided into sub districts and the sub district name I am looking for has 11 villages.

Does the number help me to identify the actual location if I was to visit and try to find the place?

If anyone is able to advise I would be grateful. I can give more deail through private message if it assists.

Thanks

Oh! Oh!,Oh!, I know this one! :o

The 1st number is typically the house number. The "M" is an abbreviation for "หมู่บ้าน" moo-ban often just

shortened to "ม." or "M" for village. The "8" being a plot within village. Subdistrict is tambon abbr "ต."

and district "อ." amphur. So pleased all this useless trivia might be of a benefit to someone else. :D

To answer your question, the address, written out in Thai like that would enable a taxi-driver to

literally take you to the front door of the house. What will happen next, I can't say. :D

Edited by cali4995

Ok, thanks for that

So is it fair to say that from the 3 'M' 8 I should at least be able to drill this address down to one single smaller village of the 11 possibilities?

I guess that if I can do so, the next stage is to identify the village which is represented by 'M'

Edited by laphroaig

It's all as accurate as GPS plotting. You already know the province(jungwut) Khon-gaen, the district (amphur)

and the sub-district (tambon). And then the village (moo-ban) with the 3M8 being a plot and house# within

that village. Pretty specific? If you want to Pm the address to me, I'll take a closer look at it? Sometimes

with the Thai-English conversion things get muddled / more confusing than is really necessary.

Edited by cali4995

I think maybe it is house #3 in village #8 located in sub district xxxx in amphoe xxxx

Many villages do not have official names and are only identified by numbers. Once you get to the sub district you will then have to ask where that village.is. A good start would be at the sub district office.

Also the house numbers are often randomly issued so that for instance house #3 could be next door to #125.

Once you get to the village you will have to ask where a family lives to find the house.

In Lite Beer's village the 10-15 could also mean that there are 2 villages within the same area.

Our village is number 6 but there is also village #9 here. And unless you are local you would never know where one ends and the other begins.

It does get confusing.

Our Village is split into different sections(Moos). They have quite a few competions throughout the year. Most involve drinking :o

The most popular is the Banfai (Rocket) competion. They have a parade round the village and spend the afternoon setting off home made rockets and see whos rocket goes the highest.