Where Do All The Rubber Bands Come From?

Pakeha

I go to the fridge, pull out the plastic bag neatly tied with the rubber band, undo the rubber band, take food = No problem.

Then, whilst trying to wrap and spin and tuck the rubber band to achieve the same sealed plastic bag effect - PING - I break the rubber band (of course), curse the dam_n thing for stinging my finger and defeating me and throw it in the trash. Then I balance the food in the fridge (unsealed of course) and walk away.

When I come back for my next graze the plastic bag is sealed with a new rubber band... Where did it come from? We don't buy rubber bands. I have never seen a bag or drawer of rubber bands in our kitchen.. Where do they come from?

Does the Mrs have a secret stash? If she's hiding rubber bands from me, what else?

The rubber-bands are reproducing, in that forgotten niche behind the chiller-panel of the fridge, and may shortly launch their bid to take over the world, according to the som-tam lady. As a gentleman, how could one disagree, with her amazing logic ? :o

The rubber-bands are reproducing, in that forgotten niche behind the chiller-panel of the fridge, and may shortly launch their bid to take over the world, according to the som-tam lady. As a gentleman, how could one disagree, with her amazing logic ? :o

All those years at university and all along I could have just spent a week with the som tam lady...

I do think she may be onto something though. They must be reproducing of their own accord, and the Mrs knows about it...

Yep, I reckon they breed too, probably somewere near where the wire hangers mate :o

For those endlessly frustrated beings like myself, a short video on how to put on and remove those wonderful Thai bag closures http://learn-thai-podcast.com/blog/general...h-rubber-bands/

Off to practice now whilst the Missus is at her Mums place for the day :D

Edited by Crossy

This is one of the essential arts to living in Thailand first you have to master how the hel_l they put the elastic bands on stuff and get them so tight and how the hel_l to get them off without ripping the plastic bag..

Once you have an understanding you can be accepeted into Thai society..

I spent many hours to understand the principle of this rubberband mysterie.

they will never accept me... :o

I have it on good authority that the rubber bands that tightly keep your mrs plastic bags of somtum so tight and fresh, actually come from a condom factory.

In the making of rubbers, circular elasticy pieces are discarded in the process. Contrary to popular belief, rubber bands as we know it do not come from rubber trees - they come from rubbers themself.

So the next time you get the urge to pop one in your mouth and roll it around, picture in your mind a factory in China producing condoms.

The size thing should be self-explanatory.

some good gags on this thread..

But hey Scott things must be bad when you have to keep them in the fridge for a longer life...

Once they are som tam infected they need to go.... any mud fish within a mile...

Perhaps there is some aincent art like origami for thai.. the mastering of elastic bands........ lackygarmi maybe

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe instead of visas to enter thailand long stay there could just be a simple test to tie a rubber band at immigration... but then I've never get in :o

Still looking for the stash - they're not in the fridge!