U.s. Consulate In Cm To Close

papajohn

:D Got your heart beating again :D but is true, the consulate will be closed

on Thursday, January 20,2009 for 1 day. More important starting February 10,2009

an appointment must be made, no walk in service. check it out @

http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/ hope I got the link right, your tix for the inaugural

ball are in the mail :o

Edited by Tywais
Fixed link

One of the few reasons to be happy I live in the US now, I don't have to deal with these idiots anymore...

Actually in 2 visits in 2 years I found them helpful. I, like you, try to avoid any

contact with any government agencies. It's our freedom loving nature I guess.

The woman at the service window has many answers to questions and is very efficient. You yanks that have early retirement with SSA be aware that when

you reach 65 the SSA starts taking about $100.00 a month out of your check for Medicare. The catch is Medicare does not cover you outside the USA !!! You must go to the Consulate for a form, fill it out and mail to the SSA in the states to cancel the medicare. SSA will do nothing for you over the telephone. Do this before your 65th birthday. Sawatdee Kup.

This reminds me, there was a plan a couple of years ago to move the Consulate out on the Hang Dong road as the current building has to be returned to the government or something in a few years. Anyone know if that's still alive?

This reminds me, there was a plan a couple of years ago to move the Consulate out on the Hang Dong road as the current building has to be returned to the government or something in a few years. Anyone know if that's still alive?

No plans to move anywhere I've been told.

When I was living there (I just returned home in late oct) I hated their hours for us, I was working as a teacher and always had trouble getting time to get things done there.

Furthermore the problems they caused for many with the election (because of closure) made me think even worse of them, I was lucky enough to vote stateside and avoid that mess.

But they were a small taint on a wonderful 3 year experience :o

I will be back soon, and I hope it's not too long before I relocate back there.

so excuse me if I find things to winge about, it's just to make up for my jealousy of you guys >_<

The big news is the appointment system, but I am fine with that. Might even cut down on the waiting.

I have always found them helpful and informed. The middle aged American lady with reddish hair was very helpful. Even the Thai staff is efficient.

SSA noticed my Thai address and automatically decided I did not want Medicare premiums deducted. For SSA questions, it is best to call the experts at the embassy in Manila.

One of the few reasons to be happy I live in the US now, I don't have to deal with these idiots anymore...

Actually in 2 visits in 2 years I found them helpful. I, like you, try to avoid any

contact with any government agencies. It's our freedom loving nature I guess.

The woman at the service window has many answers to questions and is very efficient. You yanks that have early retirement with SSA be aware that when

you reach 65 the SSA starts taking about $100.00 a month out of your check for Medicare. The catch is Medicare does not cover you outside the USA !!! You must go to the Consulate for a form, fill it out and mail to the SSA in the states to cancel the medicare. SSA will do nothing for you over the telephone. Do this before your 65th birthday. Sawatdee Kup.

I didn't know that. Although, I have several years to go, I might consider that option when I get close to 65.

Thanks. Another wonderful example of helpful information members share on TV forum.

Edited by vagabond48

SSA noticed my Thai address and automatically decided I did not want Medicare premiums deducted. For SSA questions, it is best to call the experts at the embassy in Manila.

For those who might know, if one elects to deduct the Medicare premium would they would allow you to reverse it years later if you wanted to return to the US. If they did, I assume you would have to pay back the past premium payments

For those who might know, if one elects to deduct the Medicare premium would they would allow you to reverse it years later if you wanted to return to the US. If they did, I assume you would have to pay back the past premium payments

Yes. If you return to the USA and apply during an open season, I understand you can get coverage again. I heard the penalty for delaying was ten percent for each year.

:D Got your heart beating again :D but is true, the consulate will be closed

on Thursday, January 20,2009 for 1 day. More important starting February 10,2009

an appointment must be made, no walk in service. check it out @

http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/ hope I got the link right, your tix for the inaugural

ball are in the mail :o

So if I read that correctly they will implement the appointment system on 2/10/09 but will take walk-ins up until the end of March. I am just wondering how much of a wait this will make for the walk-ins who did not make an appointment? I would suggest making an appointment if possible to avoid many long waits due to scheduled appointments.

The big news is the appointment system, but I am fine with that. Might even cut down on the waiting.

I have always found them helpful and informed. The middle aged American lady with reddish hair was very helpful. Even the Thai staff is efficient.

You are right on the money Blondie, The folks in PI have a good reputation

for helping expats in S.E. Asia. Both SSA and VA affairs can be addressed

thru them.

Mail: Social Security Admin Division

or: Dept. of Veterans Affairs

U.S. Embassy Building

1131 Roxas Blvd, Ermita

0930 Manila, Philippines,1000

Telephone: (632) 301-2000

Fax (632) 301-2017

I have been reading forums about PI as a fall back position in case things go belly-up here. I pray not but one must be prepared :o

Sawatdee Kup