No Space Left After Installation Of The New Live Messenger

KohKarrang

I've only got a little eeepc so my disc space is limited, I jsut installed the new Live Messenger and it too kup almost 800mb of space - the last 800mb on my system :o

I'm aware that there must be a temp folder with installation files/folders but where do I find them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've only got a little eeepc so my disc space is limited, I jsut installed the new Live Messenger and it too kup almost 800mb of space - the last 800mb on my system :o

I'm aware that there must be a temp folder with installation files/folders but where do I find them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

first indicate to windows to show hidden files, stop hiding system files.

then for the usual clean up :

/windows/ and delete all directories starting by $

/windows/installer/ delete everything there

/windows/temp delete everything

/documents and settings/yourname/local settings/temp delete everything there

/documents and settings/yourname/local settings/temporary internet files delete everything there

/windows/installer/ delete everything there

right click on your computer, properties, system restore tab and disable it, it'll tell you it's about to delete previous restore point, reactivate it on next reboot if you like/use this feature.

in energy properties, look for the "deep sleep" tab and be sure it's disabled.

you should notice an increase in the remaining disc space especially if you updated your system with hotfixes, the $ directories are containing the backup files wich are not needed if you experienced no trouble after upgrading.

Thanks for your reply NHJ, I done everything you said but haven't gained any space :o

I can't think of anything else to do or where the space has gone...

I like the new messenger and want to keep it but not if it leaves me with only a small amount of disc space, if I uninstal the new messenger will I get the missing space back or will it just be consumed by mysterious installation files and unremovable components?

Any more ideas would be appreciated :D

Thanks for your reply NHJ, I done everything you said but haven't gained any space :o

I can't think of anything else to do or where the space has gone...

I like the new messenger and want to keep it but not if it leaves me with only a small amount of disc space, if I uninstal the new messenger will I get the missing space back or will it just be consumed by mysterious installation files and unremovable components?

Any more ideas would be appreciated :D

Live messenger will never use that amount of space. Guess it needs not more than 30 MB! But you should enable "view hidden files" in your system and search for files which are larger than eg. 100 mb in size.

The largest file you will probably find on your system is the pagefile.sys but don't touch it...

Did you ever defrag your disk or run a chkdsk/F on boot? Install CC Cleaner (free) and run it

I thought I knew what yu meant about chkdsk but I don't :o

How can messenger hide 800mb of installation files on my discs somewhere? What could possibly be hapenning??

some more recommendations:

1) install this program and look for space allocated: http://windirstat.info/

2) start windows in safe mode and check the space if it s different

3) disable the virtual memory, reboot windows, enable virtual memory (let windows decide...)

4) Read the live messengers news groups

I guess the culprit who is "eating" your space is not the messenger installation but something else but hard to debug it remotely.

Well I'm completely lost, I know I had nearly 1GB of free space on my C drive moments before I installed the new messenger and immediately afterwards I had less than 200MB so it was definately messenger that changed things

I already had windirstat installed so I checked things out and knowhere has an extra 600MB compared to the last time I looked.

I had previously turned off my virtual memory to save space so no gains there.

I suppose the only thing to do is remove the new messenger but then that may not get my space back and if I reinstall the new messenger it might try to take up another extra 800MB so buggered if I do, buggered if I don't :o

Well I'm completely lost, I know I had nearly 1GB of free space on my C drive moments before I installed the new messenger and immediately afterwards I had less than 200MB so it was definately messenger that changed things

I already had windirstat installed so I checked things out and knowhere has an extra 600MB compared to the last time I looked.

I had previously turned off my virtual memory to save space so no gains there.

I suppose the only thing to do is remove the new messenger but then that may not get my space back and if I reinstall the new messenger it might try to take up another extra 800MB so buggered if I do, buggered if I don't :o

Sorry to hear that but I am not convinced the messenger is the cause of this issue. The latest I can recommend is try to install the messenger on another computer and see what happens.

Good luck!

I've just installed messenger on my 2nd PC and it's used up 400MB of space in total, that's without any of the optional add-ons included in the installer package...

Now I'm really confused, I wasn't doing anything else on my 1st PC to make my spare disc space reduce so something has happened but who knows what??