Renewal Of Oa Visa

I have an OA Visa issued in London on the 23-01-08. Now due for renewal on the 22-01-09. I travelled in 2008 and met the terms of the visa. :o

I mailed and then phoned the Embassy in London and spoke to the head of the Visa Dept. For a renewal she told me I had to submit 3 application forms, 3 photos, notarised med cert, notarised police clearance, notarised income certs, notarised accountants declaration. This is exacxtly the same as the initial application. :D

Surely this can not be correct. A renewal from what I read on the Embassy site is an income declaration only plus application.

Who is right?? :D

Thanks!

ps. I have checked here in TV but am confused after the Embassy woman.

Edited by harleyclarkey

I have an OA Visa issued in London on the 23-01-08. Now due for renewal on the 22-01-09. I travelled in 2008 and met the terms of the visa. :o

I mailed and then phoned the Embassy in London and spoke to the head of the Visa Dept. For a renewal she told me I had to submit 3 application forms, 3 photos, notarised med cert, notarised police clearance, notarised income certs, notarised accountants declaration. This is exacxtly the same as the initial application. :D

Surely this can not be correct. A renewal from what I read on the Embassy site is an income declaration only plus application.

Thanks!

You do not renew a Visa . You apply for a new one. Requirements here. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/visa_retirement.html

Why did you not apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement in Thailand. It would have been a lot easier. This is what the website is saying in 4.3

Thanks!

You do not renew a Visa . You apply for a new one. Requirements here. http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/visa_retirement.html

Why did you not apply for a 12 month extension based on retirement in Thailand. It would have been a lot easier. This is what the website is saying in 4.3

Thanks Lite. Yes I want a renewal/extension. This it seems is not available through the embassy in London nor the Thai Consul here in Dublin. If I was in Thailand I could get a years extension.

OK....so there is no renewal/extension from here (Europe). It means applying for a new Visa.

What bugs me is that I have to give all of the bumf again and this is seriously expensive. You MUST apply in person, which of course discriminates agains us Irish as we are the only country in Europe with no land connection.

Air fare to London (all in Euro) .....say, 150

2 nights accomodation....150

Transport London....100

Visa application fee....150

Medical Cert.....65

Accountants Cert.....100

Notarise documents....200 (Yes! It is 50 per page!!)

Sundries....85

Approx total.....Euro, 1,000. Yep. One THOUSAND.

I have actually not bothered to be honest. It is just being made too difficult by the Thais.

Thanks again.!!

Why not get a single entry non immigrant O visa and fly back here to Thailand and get an extension.

It would be a lot easier and less expensive.

Good idea Joe....but time is against me just now. I am off doing other things just now so maybe it is best just to leave it for now. The Thais, as we all know, don't seem to get the wider picture. Anyone who applies for an OA visa is only going to spend money in the country and is not very likely to be a source of concern as to any unwelcome/criminal acts.

HarleyClarkey I hear ye -

Isnt it very bizzare that you have to post your passport to Dublin to get a Thai Visa ?

Also Thai people living in Dublin have to travel to London to get their passports renewed!

John (Dublin)

Doesn't it just drive you mad John? It should be a matter for the Dept of Foreign affairs here ...but then I would expect them to do naught. A quick note to the embassy to ask them to accept appliocations from Ireland would be welcome.

Heck....I will write to the Dept here and ask them to do so. No point cpomplaining unless you do something about it.

i believe that at one point somebody was organising a mobile visa service to come to Dublin from the UK - however they had to keep waiting to get permission from Bangkok.

The consulate used to be in Harcourt Street Dublin where you could walk in - that was in the 1990's - now it appears to be a PO box number..........

i believe that at one point somebody was organising a mobile visa service to come to Dublin from the UK - however they had to keep waiting to get permission from Bangkok.

The consulate used to be in Harcourt Street Dublin where you could walk in - that was in the 1990's - now it appears to be a PO box number..........

It appears there is a bit more than PO box now. See this website for the consulate in Dublin.

http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/

But it does only do mail applications. It would be good for getting a single entry O visa:

It appears there is a bit more than PO box now. See this website for the consulate in Dublin.

http://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/

But it does only do mail applications. It would be good for getting a single entry O visa:

Good link. They are really helpful and you can talk to them by phone. I will get a multiple enrty visa for the monent.

Simple and no fuss.

All the best!

As long as you have a round-trip (return) ticket to/from Thailand (or a continuing ticket with a flight out of Thailand to another destination), a perhaps easier route would be to not get any visa at all. Just enter Thailand on a 30-day visa-exempt stamp and convert to a Non-Immigration O visa IN THAILAND and then apply for one-year retirement extension.

see: "The express lane to a Retirement Extension" for the procedure.

By doing so, you totally avoid any hassle or inconvenience obtaining a visa in the UK.

Moderator(s) for this subforum:

The above gem by WPCOE ("The Express Lane to a Retirement Extension") should be pinned. It's up-to-date -- and with his attention, promises to remain so.

If folks read that first, carpal tunnel syndrome by the regulars here might diminish.

Well done, WPCOE.

The above gem by WPCOE ("The Express Lane to a Retirement Extension") should be pinned. It's up-to-date -- and with his attention, promises to remain so.

If folks read that first, carpal tunnel syndrome by the regulars here might diminish.

Well done, WPCOE.

It is always best to get the proper visa before you go to Thailand. The conversion is only for emergency use, when people don't have time to organise everything properly.

Well done, WPCOE.

Yes. That is very good info. Unfortunately not 100% up to date. Regarging Re Entry Permits . It is no longer possible to obtain them at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Dagnabbit, Lite Beer, I totally forgot that I had that reference on the site! The site has now been updated.

And, JimGant, thanks for the kudos. It is not easy to keep that site up to date, and I have frequently (as recently as the beginning of December) debated taking it down. Your comments are well appreciated!

[edited to add that web page is now updated to remove the airport as an option for getting re-entry permits]

Edited by wpcoe

Dagnabbit, Lite Beer, I totally forgot that I had that reference on the site! The site has now been updated.

And, JimGant, thanks for the kudos. It is not easy to keep that site up to date, and I have frequently (as recently as the beginning of December) debated taking it down. Your comments are well appreciated!

[edited to add that web page is now updated to remove the airport as an option for getting re-entry permits]

:o:D :D

[

The above gem by WPCOE ("The Express Lane to a Retirement Extension") should be pinned…

Too many pinned topics would crowd the top of the screen and make it necessary to scroll down a long way until the the new topics show. In fact, I plan to reduce the existing number of pinned topics in this forum.

--

Maestro