'killer' Cold Snap Hits Thailand

peter991

'Killer' cold snap hits Thailand

From correspondents in Bangkok, Thailand

AAP

January 13, 2009 05:45pm

A SEVERE cold snap in Thailand has prompted authorities to declare an emergency zone across more than half of the country normally renowned for its tropical weather.

Local media have reported up to five deaths as a result of exposure to unusually cold conditions, but the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said they were still verifying the reports.

As temperatures fell to 4C in some parts, officials said today that 42 of 76 provinces, mostly in the north and northeast, would get a special budget to provide blankets and warm clothing.

The Meteorological Department said the temperature in Bangkok fell to 15C yesterday - cold for the capital, but still far off its record low of 11C recorded in 1974.

"Because the high pressure from China keeps coming, the cold weather will stay in Bangkok at least until this weekend,'' a meteorological official said.

Today, most parts of north and northeast saw temperatures below 14C coupled with strong winds, with a mountain in northern Chiang Mai provinces recording a temperature of 4C.

In Bangkok, commuters and residents used to the heat, sun and humidity for which Thailand is famous have wrapped up in scarves and jackets in recent days.

Peter

I can tell you for nothing it's been bloody chilly at night up here!

Even inside my house the temperature has barely reach 20C all day - at night considerably colder.

In my native UK this would be nothing since in the UK you have heating and the houses are designed for colder weather - but here the house are designed for hot weather so you have no way of warming the place up! Also since my house is north facing the sun doesn't even warm the living room since the windows are north facing also!

I have to say however the cooler days are very enjoyable . . . just at night it gets a bit on the chilly side!

Even inside my house the temperature has barely reach 20C all day - at night considerably colder.

In my native UK this would be nothing since in the UK you have heating and the houses are designed for colder weather - but here the house are designed for hot weather so you have no way of warming the place up! Also since my house is north facing the sun doesn't even warm the living room since the windows are north facing also!

I have to say however the cooler days are very enjoyable . . . just at night it gets a bit on the chilly side!

Yes there is heating in the Uk,if you have coins to put in the gasmeter,many older people can not afford this and they freeze to dead.

Yes there is heating in the Uk,if you have coins to put in the gasmeter,many older people can not afford this and they freeze to dead.

Wasn't it 3 or 4 summers ago everyone is europe was fighting heat waves with many deaths, wouldn't mind a few degrees of that heat here now (thought I would never ever say that)

Wasn't it 3 or 4 summers ago everyone is europe was fighting heat waves with many deaths, wouldn't mind a few degrees of that heat here now (thought I would never ever say that)

Don't worry mate, the heats on its way....this time next month & the cold will be nothing but a distant memory! Its amazing how quickly the thais can turn the heat on.

"Killer cold snap"! - :o

It might have been cold enough to require a light jacket over the last couple of days - but really!!

Erm yes killer cold snap!

14C with wind chill and colder at night when you live in a wooden house with absolutely no insulation to the elements - this coupled with that fact that the people living here at aclimatised to ambient temperatures of around 28-30C (day and night), I think it unfortunately many of the poor rural living Thais particularly the older generation will pass away in these temperatures.

In the UK I'd say we were aclimatised to weather around the 18-20C mark - so a similar cold snap to the UK means a 4C ambient temparture at day and colder at night. Let put it this way I've been in tents in that kind of weather in a 4 Season sleeping bag and it was bloody cold - this is equivalent of what the Thai's feel now except they don't have any $200 hi-tec sleepbag to keep them warm just thin duvets and blankets.

I shudder to think how cold it must be up in the mountainous north east of Laos . . . quite possible for snow in high places?

Have you got your long sleeved stokie top there lol

I feel bad for the rural northern Thais and other ethnic groups because it must be incredibly cold for them. I am in South Korea and it has been incredibly cold since the weekend, with temperatures between -15 and -8 C. I am bloody freezing! To top it off, the Korean heating method of ondol, or hot stone heating under the floor, it totally inefficient if you have turne it off while away. It takes a long time to heat up and is just not very warm. The bathrooms are also freezing, so you have to run the hot water in the shower for awhile to heat it up first.

I'm missing Thailand's cold snap right now. :o But, at least I will get to go skiing at some point.

I feel bad for the rural northern Thais and other ethnic groups because it must be incredibly cold for them.

I was in Chiang Mai and Pai a couple of years ago in December and I was surprised at how bloody freezing it was! Spent a miserable first night in a room without heat, had to beg a down comforter off the management for the next night. My breath was steaming and my toes went numb.... and there was a poor Karon man sleeping on the street in just a pair of thin pants! We bought him 2 pairs of socks (one for his feet and one for his hands) and a thing of hot tea, but it was heartbreaking to see no one could give him a blanket or something :o

I feel bad for the rural northern Thais and other ethnic groups because it must be incredibly cold for them.

I was in Chiang Mai and Pai a couple of years ago in December and I was surprised at how bloody freezing it was! Spent a miserable first night in a room without heat, had to beg a down comforter off the management for the next night. My breath was steaming and my toes went numb.... and there was a poor Karon man sleeping on the street in just a pair of thin pants! We bought him 2 pairs of socks (one for his feet and one for his hands) and a thing of hot tea, but it was heartbreaking to see no one could give him a blanket or something :o

whu did you not buy a blanket for him though ???? just a pair of socks .. if i realy see someone suffering i will take him to a shelter or buy some clothes for him/her . feed them up . what is a few 1000 bath for us these days . i know we all can't save the world and do this for everyone but you bought him socks ?? so why not more ??

Yeah ... jeez ... where's Al Gore when you need him, eh? :o

All kidding aside, my fiancee' reports that it has been very cold in the Phetchabun area. Extra blankets at night and jackets have been the norm for the last few weeks. I suspect it must be pretty brutal up in the rural mountain areas with exposed shelters.

Edited by Spee

I always dream to have this kind of cold snaps during my visiting in LOS. Now it's hapening at this moment, too bad I'm not in BKK this winter.

All bros and sis who're facing this killer cold, please remember to put on knited cap, scarve, gloves and thermo socks along with several layers of clothes. You'll be OK.

I was in Chiang Mai and Pai a couple of years ago in December and I was surprised at how bloody freezing it was! Spent a miserable first night in a room without heat, had to beg a down comforter off the management for the next night. My breath was steaming and my toes went numb.... and there was a poor Karon man sleeping on the street in just a pair of thin pants! We bought him 2 pairs of socks (one for his feet and one for his hands) and a thing of hot tea, but it was heartbreaking to see no one could give him a blanket or something :D

whu did you not buy a blanket for him though ???? just a pair of socks .. if i realy see someone suffering i will take him to a shelter or buy some clothes for him/her . feed them up . what is a few 1000 bath for us these days . i know we all can't save the world and do this for everyone but you bought him socks ?? so why not more ??

:o:D well said

No long sleve stoke top - I am in my fleece . . . no seriously! Jogging bottom, t-shirt (co-incidently a Stoke one!), fleece and socks!

Well the Sun has been up for 3 hours and it is currently 19C in my house.

My wife slept last night in jogging bottom and top - under a duvet and is wear 2 fleeces in the day . . .

I didn't look at the temperature last night but it couldn't have been much over 10C outside - inside I'd say it was around 15C. :o

My cousin told me it was freezing in Thailand, but I did not believe him. I still can't believe it is that cold in Thailand, and I wish I could be there because I would enjoy it. As for my weather report, it is hot in Los Angeles now, when I should be freezing my butt off. Had to use my air conditioner, and can't even wear my leather jacket on my motorcycle. I wish I was in Thailand right now. Of course when I am not in Thailand, I constantly wish I was in Thailand.

If it's too cold in Northern Thailand you could always pop down to Western Australia to warm up !

Even the wild Budgies are going to the roadhouse for a drink.

Thousands of birds die in outback heatwave

14th January 2009,

A huge flock of birds has dropped dead in temperatures topping 45C after swamping an outback roadhouse in the southern Gascoyne.

Budgerigars, crimson chat, zebra finches and cockatiels descended on the Overlander Roadhouse, 200km south of Carnarvon, on Monday last week. Thousands of birds have since died after invading sheds, basements and even a hotel bedroom.

post-18822-1231904059_thumb.jpg

(source - The West Australian)

Edited by Old Croc

well duh, it's not like we didn't think of that, there was no place to buy a blanket where we were- or we would have bought one for ourselves as well.

well duh, it's not like we didn't think of that, there was no place to buy a blanket where we were- or we would have bought one for ourselves as well.

Girlx, seeing as it's so cold I was wondering if we could meet up and I can get you to show me all your little leather things you keep to keep you warm?

Girlx, seeing as it's so cold I was wondering if we could meet up and I can get you to show me all your little leather things you keep to keep you warm?

:o I'm sure that will go over really well.

Here in South Korea it is -13 to 1 C. And that is obviously considered a heat wave, because all the Koreans are walking around in little jackets with no hats. I am really starting to kick myself for not buying a plane ticket to Thailand. Next month it's going to be worse.

I love this weather (BKK). Nice brisk mornings and pleasant all day. It's nice not to be sweating all the time.

I'll second that mate. Makes a nice change from the constant heat and humidity. The Thais will now get a feeling of what it's like in Europe at the moment whith many countries without gas due to the gas delivery problems they are having via Ukraine and Russia. :o

No long sleve stoke top - I am in my fleece . . . no seriously! Jogging bottom, t-shirt (co-incidently a Stoke one!), fleece and socks!

Well the Sun has been up for 3 hours and it is currently 19C in my house.

My wife slept last night in jogging bottom and top - under a duvet and is wear 2 fleeces in the day . . .

I didn't look at the temperature last night but it couldn't have been much over 10C outside - inside I'd say it was around 15C. :o

Time to get out the libertie bodice.