Are You Going To Celebrate New Year...

damnaam

Hard times now but, with respect to the victims of the tsunamis, of whom I knew one, will you:  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't gone out drinking since I arrived back from the Similan Islands (where I witnessed the waves) because it doesn't quite feel right, even though Karon, where I live, escaped relatively unscathed from the disaster. However, despite feeling really low right now, life must and does go on. I knew somebody who perished as a result of what's happened. I'm equally aware that the local economy could well implode if people scarper or don't attempt to resume a normal life here soon. So - over to you guys....

I haven't gone out drinking since I arrived back from the Similan Islands (where I witnessed the waves) because it doesn't quite feel right, even though Karon, where I live, escaped relatively unscathed from the disaster. However, despite feeling really low right now, life must and does go on. I knew somebody who perished as a result of what's happened. I'm equally aware that the local economy could well implode if people scarper or don't attempt to resume a normal life here soon. So - over to you guys....

We all know what has happened is shocking and a terrible tragedy. But as has been said. Life does indeed go on. Enjoy the New Year. But when you are having a drink. Take a moment to think of those no longer with us. I was lucky as far as i know that no one i knew was down there. My thoughts go out to all those affected. Peace and a Happy New Year to all.

We all know what has happened is shocking and a terrible tragedy. But as has been said. Life does indeed go on. Enjoy the New Year. But when you are having a drink. Take a moment to think of those no longer with us. I was lucky as far as i know that no one i knew was down there. My thoughts go out to all those affected. Peace and a Happy New Year to all.

Agreed 100%

I'm not sure (yet) if anyone i knew perished but for sure people i know have lost their business's and homes:(

I'm not gonna go mad on New Years Eve but I will be at a party and I will be raising my glass and thinking of the people who lost their lives. (hopefully the conversation won't be about who's bloody fault it was and what should have been done to prevent it). :o

Happy New Year :D

Edited by davethailand

I'm not gonna go mad on New Years Eve but I will be at a party and I will be raising my glass and thinking of the people who lost their lives. (hopefully the conversation won't be about who's bloody fault it was and what should have been done to prevent it). :o

Happy New Year  :D

pay respect and think about the poor

Nice one dave - I too will be doing the same, come New Years eve. No conversation required here about fault, blame, etc.

Thanks.

My wife's Thai friends here in England has decided they're still going to celebrate. Husbands and children are invited. One member of the circle, who was not consulted, was on one of the affected beaches at the time, but her family all escaped. I'm voting 'yes', but it implies no presumption as to the wishes of the victims.

I won't be celebrating New Years as I'm at work 'till the 14th of January!

But even if I were "home" it would be a subdued event. My wife and her Thai friends are not going to be "whooping it up" as usual this year in light of the tragedy... :o

A night of merry making while people in the south are trying to pick up the peices seems a little inconsiderate to me.

One possible way of using some of the money set aside for a good pi** up is to send it to where it is needed. I will be going out but not on a "Mad'un".

Everybody is different to how they handle things. Some want to be quiet, some want to party and some are in the middle. It takes all types.

I for one will be going out,but will certainly spare a thought for those to have lost loved ones.

I would suggest that we all celebrate the new year in some fashion. Before we all yell "Happy New Year", we should have a minute silence at 12... and at 12.01 celebrate it. I have suggested this to a few owners of clubs here in Phuket and I know Taipan are definately doing it.

Then get drunk, very very drunk..

I'm going out with my friends. We're still sad, but life goes on. We'll likely hold a minute's silence at the pub. I'll raise a glass (of Coca Cola) to everyone affected. So, Yes, I'm going out. But definitely won't go all crazy.

Depends on what you mean by "celebrate". Yes, I will commemorate the new year, saying goodbye to the old. I will be reflecting on the happenings of the past 365 days, and what to learn from them.

But no drinking and going crazy. Not because of any recent happenings or lack of mood - it is simply not my style.

I'm off out now. (can't really be bothered though) :D

The minutes silence is a nice thought but i can't see it happening in my place, it would be great if people responded to it but not everybody would, too much noise, drink etc etc. :o

I will be going home at 1130ish to spent the new year with my wife who cannot come out and then i will be back to walking st after midnight. :D

Have a good one everybody

cheers

DT :D

I'm still celebrating, Cause i'm a pisshead

Guess along with many others, you'll be celebrating right through to 2006 then Jockstar? :o

Probably Rav. Have a beer on me. Bet 200 quid on red. If it comes up. Then we're going half

Edited by Jockstar