Is The Test For A Motorcycle Licence In Thai ?

robblok

that might depend on where you take the test. i did it in chonburi, and sursprisingly they had modern computers on which you do the test. multiple choice in english.

for preparation, i even got a book with some basic rules in english and japanese.

good luck.

that might depend on where you take the test. i did it in chonburi, and sursprisingly they had modern computers on which you do the test. multiple choice in english.

for preparation, i even got a book with some basic rules in english and japanese.

good luck.

Was it hard to do the test theoretical ?

And the practical part ?

I did mine in Prakhon Chai.

I had to identify 6 round coloured spots when they were pointed to i.e red, green, yellow, yellow, red, green...

Then paid 1,500 baht and got a nicely laminated PIN style car licence AND a motorbike licence.

I had to identify 6 round coloured spots when they were pointed to i.e red, green, yellow, yellow, red, green...

Then paid 1,500 baht and got a nicely laminated PIN style car licence AND a motorbike licence.

I take it you already had those licences from an other country ?

I have done my Thai car and motor bike license. I have a uk Car license so got that straight converted, all i had to do was do a reaction test on a brake pedal when some lights come on you press the pedal. and then judge a distance stick about 5 meters from you.

You also have to do a multi choice highway code test.

Then i hired a motor bike from a shop over the road from the test center in Pattaya.

You pull up in front of the invigilator and then drive around a simple circuit. They set you off about 20 meter interval so there is no way they can watch everyone. You have to pull away, stop, go around some cones, drive on a raised concrete strip about 20 m long a few more stops and turns and thats it.

I even come off the concrete strip and the tester never seen it so I passed.

Complete Thai style, but it keeps the police off your back every time you get stopped...

I do think it is the hardest test to do as no Thai has ever passed it... haahahah

You only get your first license for a year then have to get it changed to a 5 year one.

I take it you already had those licences from an other country ?

Only car licence. Never ridden a bike until I came to Thailand.

good luck.

Where is the Chonburi test center located?

good luck.

Was it hard to do the test theoretical ?

And the practical part ?

The multiple choice test is similar to the German test. If you have a driving license already from another country and/or are an experienced rider, you should have no problem with that, as Thai traffic rules are not that much different from other countries (I am talking about rules, not habits...!) I am sure I got one question wrong because the translation into English was simply incorrect.

The practical test is hilarious (or should I say scary?!): get on a scooter (wear helmet!), look over the shoulder, turn on turning light, start moving, turn off turning light, circle around three (3!) cones (no worries, they are placed so far from each other that you would manage that even completely drunk), ride 20 meters straight. Come to a full stop, look over the shoulder, turn on turning light, turn right, done.

Nothing about emergency braking, narrow circles or anything! No wonder most of the accidents during New Year involved motorbikes. (Well, I don't think that the car driving test is more demanding either...) I don't know what this test is for, but carrying a Thai driving license does not necessarily mean you can drive.

Where is the Chonburi test center located?

I do not have the proper address, but when you leave the Bangna-Trad Expressway, you pass the Amata Nakorn Industrial Estate on the left. Continue straight direction Chonburi, and you'll find it on the left hand side before you actually enter the city.