Permit

mspsl

mspsl....I have also inquired about getting a firearm as well. A gun shop told my brother-in-law that only Thai nationals could own guns, however he said if a Thai family member registered it in his/her name and accompanied me to the shooting range it would be no problem. Also, for 4,000 baht extra the gun shop can do all the paperwork/licensing stuff for you which takes about a month I think. Later on I read somewhere that a foreigner can get a gun permit but only if your name is on the house registration which I believe means you would need Permanent Residence. Perhaps it's possible to get on the house registration without PR but I'm not sure. I don't know if gun ranges here would check to see who owns the gun(s) when you go to shoot but where I lived in the US they never check. Since you're a foreigner who knows what they may ask if you show up for an afternoon of target practice. If you or a Thai that you know has a friend in law enforcement I would definitely see what they say...the process may be easier than we think.

The cost of guns/ammo here is WAY higher than in the US due to import taxes and such plus airguns are regulated by the same laws as firearms. If you can get one, a .22 may be all you can afford to shoot over here :o You can always go for archery and wristrockets as they could never be classified as firearms. Good luck!

mspsl....I have also inquired about getting a firearm as well. A gun shop told my brother-in-law that only Thai nationals could own guns, however he said if a Thai family member registered it in his/her name and accompanied me to the shooting range it would be no problem. Also, for 4,000 baht extra the gun shop can do all the paperwork/licensing stuff for you which takes about a month I think. Later on I read somewhere that a foreigner can get a gun permit but only if your name is on the house registration which I believe means you would need Permanent Residence. Perhaps it's possible to get on the house registration without PR but I'm not sure. I don't know if gun ranges here would check to see who owns the gun(s) when you go to shoot but where I lived in the US they never check. Since you're a foreigner who knows what they may ask if you show up for an afternoon of target practice. If you or a Thai that you know has a friend in law enforcement I would definitely see what they say...the process may be easier than we think.

The cost of guns/ammo here is WAY higher than in the US due to import taxes and such plus airguns are regulated by the same laws as firearms. If you can get one, a .22 may be all you can afford to shoot over here :o You can always go for archery and wristrockets as they could never be classified as firearms. Good luck!

Thanks Thaiboxer for your honest reply---I do have a house with my Thai wife so thats not a prob---shooting was pretty expensive in the uk too

mspsl...you're welcome :o I can imagine shooting to be VERY expensive in the UK compared to the US. As far as I know gun laws are much stricter over there than in most states. In my home state of Florida, you can buy a rifle or shotgun at age 18 or older provided you pass a background check (conducted right there over the telephone between the gun shop attendant and the state gov). In certain counties like mine, it became much stricter requiring you to wait a week to pick up the new gun...same for handguns. You need to be 21 to get handguns in addition to passing the background check and waiting a week. However, you can buy second- hand guns from friends/family/neighbors which of course require no background checks, waiting periods, etc and you only need to be 18. Ammo can be pricey depending on what you want to shoot but generally the smaller the caliber and the more common the cartridge the cheaper it is to buy. You can find great deals on .22LR and 9mm rounds at many big sporting outlets. Here, you may very well pay more than double what it costs in Florida.

Shooting here seems to be a rich person's sport. Take care!

Never, ever heard of a foreigner being given a gun permit.

I hope it stays that way too.

The less guns the better

fully customized stainless steel ruger mini 14 with flash hider and barrel shroud and polymer butler creek folding stock and mwg 90 round drum magazines filled

with boattailed federal .223 hollowpoint ammo!!

glock 17 with compensator and laser sight with 30 round dropfree clips filled with 9mm truncated jacketed hollowpoint hydrashocks and prefragmented frangible magsafes!!

we got em and we know where you live!!

hide under your bed!!

hehe....

Edited by theonlyway

fully customized stainless steel ruger mini 14 with flash hider and barrel shroud and polymer butler creek folding stock and mwg 90 round drum magazines filled

glock 17 with compensator and laser sight with 30 round dropfree clips filled with 9mm truncated jacketed hollowpoint hydrashocks and prefragmented frangible magsafes!!

hide under your bed!!

hehe....

How about a 12 guage, short barrel pump shotgun loaded with heavy buckshot...pistol grip perhaps for ease of movement in tight spaces. Number 1 buck is supposed to be the best since it does more damage than the other sizes.

....and now you are just waiting for some poor sucker to take a leak at your garden fence.

Actually, I'll leave the gate open and wait for him to come inside the yard first...then I'll blast him, drag his body into the house and place a butcher knife in one of his hands. Then I'll claim he broke in and tried to stab me...surely the cops won't mind once I give them a 100 baht each! :o

Are we compensating for a lack of fire power below the old belt here?

Are you a 'patriotic' Bush supporter by any chance?

Stroll...No Way! I never voted for him in the first place...he makes the US look awful and although he may support the shooting sports I'm not on his side politically. His cousin no doubt assisted in his "winning" the 2000 election.

As to the US being "Jesusland", that's only in certain areas. South Florida where I'm from leans more towards liberalism in terms of religion although it's a big business/tourism center.

I assume we are talking about long guns here, not handguns. I lived in Malaysia before, where possessing an unregistered firearm, including the ammunition, can bring the death penalty. My last stopping off point was South Florida, AMURICA, where bumper stickers may say: "God, guts and guns made America great, so lets keep all three". I can see the merits of both positions (Malaysia vs. USA) at times. I would be surprised that Thailand would allow non-citizens to possess firearms, even the good old USA, the gun-loving capitol of the world, does not allow such.

Just curious?? Does Thailand allow its "average" citizens to possess handguns??

By saying "average" citizens, I assume that you mean the ordinary people who aren't politically connected or wealthy. As far as I know, if you have the money you can buy/register a firearm (handguns included) provided that your background checks out OK. With the high cost of guns/ammo here and many folks not having an extra 30K baht to buy a handgun I would imagine that many if not most firearms are second hand and not registered...particularly in the provinces.

I didn't know Malaysia would give you capital punishment for an unregistered firearm with ammo...quite a stiff penalty. Washington DC has some of the strictest (although not that strict!) gun laws in the US...yet their crime rate is one of the highest. Still, they won't hang you for an unregistered firearm although you could end up in prison though.

• 3 months later...

I had my secretary apply for a permit for an 9mm semi-auto a couple of years back. The permit was issued with no problem, and I keep the gun at home. (Locked up in a safe and without ammo). I shoot it at various ranges in Thailand, and have never been asked to show the permit. Like most things in Thailand, one’s attitude makes a big difference, I think. So long as you speak a bit of Thai, and are smartly-dressed and polite, no Thai would ever be so rude as to demand to see the permit! Also acting responsibly, and being clearly trained in gun handling (from my home country - where the ‘democratic’ government has now banned pistols and closed all pistol clubs) and being able to shoot safely and well, with no evidence of the slightly silly macho posturing seen on parts of this thread would help a lot! Good luck...

I had my secretary apply for a permit for an 9mm semi-auto a couple of years back. The permit was issued with no problem, and I keep the gun at home. (Locked up in a  safe and without ammo). I shoot it at various ranges in Thailand, and have never been asked to show the permit.  Like most things in Thailand, one’s attitude makes a big difference, I think.  So long as you speak a bit of Thai, and are smartly-dressed and polite, no Thai would ever be so rude as to demand to see the permit!  Also acting responsibly, and being clearly trained in gun handling (from my home country - where the ‘democratic’ government has now banned pistols and closed all pistol clubs) and being able to shoot safely and well, with no evidence of the slightly silly macho posturing seen on parts of this thread would help a lot!  Good luck...

^

Probably the best way to purchase a firearm for foreigners who aren't permanent residents. I've never seen a permit check either. The only time people are caught with illegal firearms is either a ) by chance if the police are searching your home for some other reason or b ) someone tells the police that you are in possession of illegal firearms.

:o

Hi, I have read all this post with interest, apart from going off the track a little the information was very useful. To many people who do not wish to own a gun,wanting to own a gun will seem strange, but spare a thought for the owner perhaps he just likes to shoot! I am from the UK and spent years acquiring my shotgun licence and firearms licence. I shoot black powder muskets and WWII rifles its a great sport, one I would like to continue over here.

So thanks for all the info and to all you sporting shooters out there good luck.

Firearms permits are readily available in Thailand.

Thai firearms permits come in different styles and colors.

You may require more than one Thai fireams permits depending on the situation.

Additional firearms permits may be issued by the nearest ATM.

:o