MICT Provides Central Email Services For Public Sector

Jai Dee

MICT provides central email services for public sector

Ministry of Information and Communication Technology provides electronic mail services to public sector.

Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (MICT), Mr. Sue Lor-Uthai (สือ ล้ออุทัย) stated yesterday (January 14) that the public sector would have access to the use of central email systems "@mail.go.th" coupled with high level of security in sending and receiving data online.

Government officials and public servants thus would be able to check the information in case of missing data since the operating server would be located in Thailand and run by the public sector itself. The MICT would carry out the Cabinet resolution on December 18, 2008 to urge officials to discontinue the use of free-of-charge email services from the private sector within a year. The MICT have already coordinated with the Government Information Technology Services (GITS), TOT Public Company Limited, and CAT Telecom Public Company Limited to develop the central email services with attempt to serve more than 128 organizations with projected 100,000 users within 2009.

For more information, please visit the website www.mail.go.th

Source: National News Bureau of Thailand - 15 January 2009

The reason so many Thai government officials use Yahoo and Hotmail accounts is that their 'official' email services are so slow and unreliable that they are basically impossible to use. I hate to think how 'private' those accounts really are.

I hope this will sort out the mess, but I doubt it.