Safe Termite Control?

I have only just begun to look into this because of another thread, and my interest in landscape/farm pest control and least toxic materials and methods. I don't have direct experience with structural pest control.

The bottom line is that you will probably not be able to influence a Thai property owner to deviate from the recommendations from the pest control company, who is under the influence of the chemical supplier and who may be equipped only for a specific chemical application. And also, the most common chemical that I have seen used here for strucural termite control (Fenobucarb http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemic...?Rec_Id=PC36390) has its primary risk associated with exposure to the applicator and relatively little residual risk after the application. Fenobucarb is a carbamate; primary risk is as a cholinesterase inhibitor with repeated use by the applicator. (think Alzheimer's disease). It's a category II "warning" rated pesticide in the US; the middle category, not the highest level of mammalian toxicity. It is hel_l for birds and bees and aquatic life. But termite control is usually not a broadcast spray, being primarily ground and base structure applications.

Fenobucarb and another termite control used here, Fipronil (less toxic in some ways for mammals http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemic...?Rec_Id=PC35768) are usually applied as a soil drench and base structure spray. There may be others that I don't know about. I have not seen fumigation tenting, but that doesn't mean that it is not used. Some modern houses have pre-installed under-structure pipes and emitters installed during construction, for long term repeated applications of chemical solution. The pest control company hooks up their pump to the undergound pipe system and applies the Fenobucarb or Fipronil in this manner every three years.

Before you leave, just make arrangements for any fish, birds, chickens, other pets or farm animals to be out of range during the applications and until drying of the chemical; put away or cover kitchen utensils, pet dishes, bedding, toothbrushes, anything that will have later skin or internal exposure.

The latest, least-toxic termite control in the US now is "orange oil", but I have not seen it used here. Maybe a good farming, manufacuring and marketing opportunity for someone with some investment capital. There are also electronic termite killing methods that are primarily associated with wood framed houses. And an interesting detection method is with trained dogs. (Turn that chiken killer into a termite hound).

I hope other posters with more direct experience have more to add. don

The bottom line is that you will probably not be able to influence a Thai property owner to deviate from the recommendations from the pest control company, who is under the influence of the chemical supplier and who may be equipped only for a specific chemical application.

Very true. If you question the substances they are using, the knee jerk reaction will be 'it's fine'.

There are also electronic termite killing methods that are primarily associated with wood framed houses. And an interesting detection method is with trained dogs. (Turn that chiken killer into a termite hound).

I hope other posters with more direct experience have more to add. don

A very informative post with lots of facts. Regarding the toxicity of termite controls, I was under the impression that these were among the most residual of all chemicals, although this maybe just for those sprayed on soil.

Borax based pesticides seem to be the safest around and are available in Thailand. However they are not as effective as more dangerous chemicals. From my experience Thais have no fear of pesticides, describing all of them as 'safe and nothing to worry about.'

I'm not sure there is any effective termite prevention using electronic methods alone. Termites are a huge problem throughout the world, so there is a huge business opportunity if such a device can be invented.

"Regarding the toxicity of termite controls, I was under the impression that these were among the most residual of all chemicals, although this maybe just for those sprayed on soil."

Some of the pesticides that were used in the past for termite control, and probably still being used in many places, are very toxic and long lasting in the environment. Fortunately the research and trend in many places, including Thailand it seems, is toward "less toxic" or "least toxic" control measures. The chemicals that I mentioned, that I have recently seen being used here in Chiang Mai, do have a very long residual effect, I was told 5 years in the case of Fipronil. The pest control outfit that I watched working the other day and questioned about materials etc, was using Fenobucarb and was on a 3 year application schedule. But that residual time frame does not necessarily mean that exposure is available to people and pets, it is bound up in the soil and wood.

Some new generation pesticides that have been developed to be less toxic to mammals, are proving to be extremely harmful to birds and honey bees. Each chemical has it's own specific actions, limitations, and toxicity to the target pest and to non-target species, capacity to leach into the ground water, etc. It's a challenge to stay informed, but it pays to read up on what you use. Knowing how to find and read labels and material safety data sheets (MSDS) is helpful.

"Regarding the toxicity of termite controls, I was under the impression that these were among the most residual of all chemicals, although this maybe just for those sprayed on soil."

Some of the pesticides that were used in the past for termite control, and probably still being used in many places, are very toxic and long lasting in the environment. Fortunately the research and trend in many places, including Thailand it seems, is toward "less toxic" or "least toxic" control measures. The chemicals that I mentioned, that I have recently seen being used here in Chiang Mai, do have a very long residual effect, I was told 5 years in the case of Fipronil. The pest control outfit that I watched working the other day and questioned about materials etc, was using Fenobucarb and was on a 3 year application schedule. But that residual time frame does not necessarily mean that exposure is available to people and pets, it is bound up in the soil and wood.

Some new generation pesticides that have been developed to be less toxic to mammals, are proving to be extremely harmful to birds and honey bees. Each chemical has it's own specific actions, limitations, and toxicity to the target pest and to non-target species, capacity to leach into the ground water, etc. It's a challenge to stay informed, but it pays to read up on what you use. Knowing how to find and read labels and material safety data sheets (MSDS) is helpful.

Well done Doc, MSDS's are the start of any attempt of deciding or using of Chems. I was certified by the State of California to apply but never was involved with termite work. Everybody please use goggles along with your breathing protection, absorbtion of chems thru the eyes is SERIOUS and highly neglected. We all know about the LDL thought (lethal dose limits to kill rats-mammals) and it is only one of many factors; obviousdly there were idiots who could drink DDT and say it wouldn't hurt them and in fact they would be worse off getting into a small amount of nicotene (probably much more than 100,000 % more deadly) but the problem with DDT was that it thinned the shells of nesting birtds that fed off the reidual animal life uptake of the poison. the kicker was that it's half life is near a million years. Soooo in a million years there will be half the residual (80 million tons ??) amount of the DDT that has covered this earth asnd it is still as potent a problem when it is re-exposed into the enviroment. there was a big scare in the Salinas Valley in California as they detected extrememly high levels of use of banned DDT in the late 70's and attributed it to the smuggling of the product from Mexico where it is still used. Fortunately, or not, it was just erosion due to an extremely wet winter and poor farming practices that allowed all the topsoil and the huge amounts of Ddt that had accumulated to register so high in the river's water. Probably wouldn't bother you to eat that trout but the raptors could be affected. Chems are very complex and good maitenace is a key to termites. they like wood so try to keep your home extremely sanitary around and under. Borax and chilies and peppers can keep many things away from your living space. I know the use of Beagles to identify specific locations can minimize the use of toxic chems and all wood houses have some advantages to electronic control. Be safe around any chem and don't forget to have your goggles on at all times ESPECIALLY when opening containers and bags.

Edited by Foreverford

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to suggest some anti termite nematode. Only small application could remove the whole colony within a week or so. It 's also safe for all other animals and plants.

THANKS to all who replied. Mrissara, can you tell me more about nematode. Is it available in Udonthani? Is there a brand name? And Drtreelove, if you're there, thanks so much and I'd love to get your opinion on nematode too.

I would like to suggest some anti termite nematode. Only small application could remove the whole colony within a week or so. It 's also safe for all other animals and plants.

THANKS to all who replied. Mrissara, can you tell me more about nematode. Is it available in Udonthani? Is there a brand name? And Drtreelove, if you're there, thanks so much and I'd love to get your opinion on nematode too.

This is interesting; I know that predatory nematodes are used to control certain harmful nematodes and other pest problems. But I haven't used them in my landscape pest control work and I don't know much about the subject. So I guess I'd better look into it; always something to learn. don

I got them from the Department of Agriculture located in Kasetsart University. Some termite control agency also get their nematodes from here. If you request for only one package of nematodes (Sai Duen Foy, in Thai), they even give it out for free. The nematodes are microscopic size. They are stored in smal agar pieces. You need to drop a sppon of agar into spray bottle, add some water, shake it well, and spray onto the insect. It 's impotant to spray directly onto the insect because the infected one will carry the nematodes into the colony and infect the others.