Finally! Pool Arrives In Chiangmai

monto

Have they come up with a complete set of rules(written) yet?

Yes they have the rules now posted on the wall now for all to see

Hans

the play is very open and the standard is very highand they tell me they are having a big comp in a few weeks with 50,000 baht for the winner more details on that next week

that's a start. there are too many rules to put them all on the wall and I hope they have a complete set for reference. People say "everybody knows ______". The many arguments around the world about pool rules are evidence that everybody doesn't know.

As example, one rule that I have seen abused and discussed more than once is about the 3 consecutive foul rule in 9 ball which is loss of game after three sonsecutive fouls by one player, with one exception. Many people do not know that exception. If a player is on two fouls and getting ready to shoot his next shot, the opposing player(or referee if you have one) is required to tell him that he is on two fouls and he must acknowledge being aware of it. If the opponent does not tell him that he is on two fouls and he fouls again, he does not lose the game. The opponent gets ball in hand after the foul and the fouler is still on two fouls.

There a many things like this which can't be put on the wall but are covered in a complete rule set.

The 50000 baht tournament should be fun to watch. That should be enough money to bring some of the better players from Bangkok too.

Edited by bjohn34

Thanks a lot guys for helping me promote my place and I am appreciated it so much!

FYI, by next month, Cue Bar Pool Club will advertising in some of Chiangmai's Magazines such as Citylife, Compass, Tourist Guide, Airport Maping, Chiangmai Today and Cue Thong (Snooker's Magazine).

I have some pictures below that will advertising in Tourist Guide and Chiangmai Today.

Any more information please contact us at 053-895-033 or 085-255-2200

Many Thanks and Regards,

Johnson

post-75830-1233138896_thumb.jpg

post-75830-1233141328.jpg

Hans

the play is very open and the standard is very highand they tell me they are having a big comp in a few weeks with 50,000 baht for the winner more details on that next week

The 50000 baht tournament should be fun to watch. That should be enough money to bring some of the better players from Bangkok too.

I played in one a couple of years ago in phuket, where quite a few pros from bangkok came down. Not a great experience actually - lots of gamesmanship and cheating going on - it's not easy when 50 people crowd around the table, coughing or sniffing loudly when you're lining up a shot, not to mention your opponent standing over you trying to further put you off. My thai friends were mortified by their behaviour.

The organisers should keep an eye on this - I didn't go back to the poolhall in phuket.

Edited by Super Hans

Hans

I played in one a couple of years ago in phuket, where quite a few pros from bangkok came down. Not a great experience actually - lots of gamesmanship and cheating going on - it's not easy when 50 people crowd around the table, coughing or sniffing loudly when you're lining up a shot, not to mention your opponent standing over you trying to further put you off. My thai friends were mortified by their behaviour.

If this was happening, these were not pros. Professionals shoot their shot and then go sit quietly in their seats while their opponent shoots. Anything other than that done to distract your opponent is well covered under unsportsmanlike conduct in the rules I keep referring to and is severely penalized.

Even when pros play money matches not in a tournament, they still play strictly by the rules.

You are correct that it is up to the organizers to be sure this does not happen

Hans

If this was happening, these were not pros. Professionals shoot their shot and then go sit quietly in their seats while their opponent shoots. Anything other than that done to distract your opponent is well covered under unsportsmanlike conduct in the rules I keep referring to and is severely penalized.

Even when pros play money matches not in a tournament, they still play strictly by the rules.

Theoretically, but 50,000 baht is worth winning, especially against a farang...The table was also cordoned off with tape, so there was no seat to go back to. He didn't make any great effort to remove himself from my eyeline, though.

Theoretically, but 50,000 baht is worth winning, especially against a farang...The table was also cordoned off with tape, so there was no seat to go back to. He didn't make any great effort to remove himself from my eyeline, though.

I have no problem stopping my play and telling my opponemt to move his ass out of my eyeline its a basic courtesy when playing but I agree thais do sit right in your eyeline until I tell them to shift

Hans

Then that is the tournament organizers fault. If the table was cordoned off, it would have been very easy to put two chairs inside the roped off area for the players to sit in when not shooting, and require them to do it.

• 2 weeks later...