Do You Lock Your Luggage?

popmybubble

Lock or Not?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coloured cable ties, never white or black, & spares in my pocket.

Yup me too, enough to discourage casual theft and obvious that it's been opened.

I've had bags opened by outgoing inspection at Swampy, had a note inside the bag that it had been checked, signed and stamped by the inspecting officer.

I'm curious to know how many members think it's worth putting locks on luggage to deter thieves/drugs.

I don't use a suitcase, just a backpack/rucksack and didn't use any locks on my previous trip.

:o I voted No, but I have locked my bags before. Often I don't now. Anything of value to me I hand carry on the plane.

I've been called before by airline security to come and unlock my locked check-in luggage. Apparently, I was picked on a random security check of check-in baggage. Had to fumble around for my key and open my check-in bag for security inspection after I had checked it with the airline. Had nothing in there of any value anyhow. After that I decided there was no point in locking it as most of those cheap locks can be cut off in a few seconds anyhow. If the thief has time to rifle through your bag to find something worthwhile, he/she won't be bothered by the lock anyhow. At least that's my theory.

:D

Timely question.

The last time I left BKK, I forgot to lock my luggage and was absolutely sure that some miscreant would steal my stash of Sangsom. But when I arrived at my destination is was there untouched and unscathed. I guess it is such a cheapo product that even the thieves didn't want it. :o

TheWalkingMan

OK I 'll bite. Why never white or black?

A tip from me: carry or pack into an empty outside side-pocket some nail-clippers. These should get past security OK and if you need to open your bags yourself you can cut the cable ties and replace then with your spares.

It's not to protect it from thieves, easy to cut off locks,

but more to avoid that someone put any illicit item/drug inside...

Exactly !

If someone wants to steal something, they're going to get it no matter what you do (locks/plastic wrap/midgets with mace).

But if you lock it/wrap it, there is less chance of anything being "added" to your luggage. This was something I was taught in the early 80's when I was travelling in Europe. Apparently is was fairly common for "certain" people to try and stash drugs in the luggage of unsuspecting people. If those people made it through customs without getting caught, the dealer would then steal their luggage and get their drugs back (and who knows, maybe some other valuables as well).

OK I 'll bite. Why never white or black?

Black and White are the most common colour of cable ties, and therefore more readily available to use as replacements for ones cut off someone's luggage.

Blue, green or red cable ties (or "zap straps" as we call them) are not so common. You use green ties on your luggage and find white (or black) ones on it when you get to your destination, you know if someone has been tampering with your stuff.

Of course, one has to remember to not carry spares of the same colour inside the secured luggage. :o

On a recent flight, I decided to check my regular carry-on bag containing my laptop, camera and other items. I had a cheapy lock to connect the zippers of the compartments with the valuables, but nothing to lock the 2 small front pouches. All that was in there was a set of cheap earphones, some pens and about 8 (UAE) dirhams in coins.

Lo and behold, on arrival at my destination I noticed a zipper not where it normally would be and sure enough, the 8 dirhams in coins were gone ! I laughed. 8 dirhams is just over $2 US (about 75 baht).

The laptop and camera, protected by the cheapy lock, are worth over 1,500 times that amount (harder to sneak out with though).

I use the flimsy little combination locks that come with the luggage. I put them on at check in take them back off when I retrieve the bags from the luggage carousel. Those locks are easily cut or broken, but if intact, I feel like my bags have not been tampered with.

I always put a small lock on my case.

Yes, they can cut it off in seconds but there is always that small security factor in locking the bag. So far I have never been called to unlock a case (except at customs and excise) and never had a lock cut off.

[quote name='popmybubble' post='2470021' date='2009-01-16 13:57:39 I'm curious to know how many members think it's worth putting locks on luggage to deter thieves/drugs.

I don't use a suitcase, just a backpack/rucksack and didn't use any locks on my previous trip.

Clothes, toiletries, and my Swiss army knife go as checked baggage. Some years back I bought an oilskin backpack from LLBean in Maine, USA (oilskin proved its worth on two long walks transiting in Tahiti in a monsoon). Fully loaded, it still fits under the seat or in the overhead compartments, and it's got nylon shearling on the inside of the shoulder straps, so it's really comfortable. What goes in there? My CPAP machine (I've got sleep apnea so have to take it everywhere), my laptop, digital SLR and mini movie camera, ipod, chargers, and three months of meds which are in a box 30cm x 20cm x10cm. The outside pockets carry little bibs and bobs as well. Loaded weight is 18kg, but no airline has ever asked to weigh it. An AirAsia employee questioned its size and told me it had to go as checked baggage. When I explained that there was about 350,000 baht worth of electronics in there and I'd hold him personally responsible if a single thing got broken or damaged, he walked away. But I'd never put *anything* of value under the plane.

Definitely. It would be silly not to lock them for flights within Thailand. For flights from the US I use the special TSA locks that the security goons can open without breaking the locks. Once I accidentally left a non-TSA lock on a connecting flight within the US coming from Thailand and of course they broke the lock as that isn't allowed in the US. Locks are allowed in Thailand, however, so why not use them? Thefts are common from unlocked checked baggage.

Edited by Jingthing

Definitely. It would be silly not to lock them for flights within Thailand. For flights from the US I use the special TSA locks that the security goons can open without breaking the locks. Once I accidentally left a non-TSA lock on a connecting flight within the US coming from Thailand and of course they broke the lock as that isn't allowed in the US. Locks are allowed in Thailand, however, so why not use them? Thefts are common from unlocked checked baggage.

Just in the last 4 weeks, traveling between Thailand and the USA, I asked at check-in if I needed to unlock my bags for any kind of customs/security inspection after the bags were out of my sight. The answer: "no need." This was the same for Thai-side and American-side departures.

Just in the last 4 weeks, traveling between Thailand and the USA, I asked at check-in if I needed to unlock my bags for any kind of customs/security inspection after the bags were out of my sight. The answer: "no need." This was the same for Thai-side and American-side departures.

You CAN lock your bags (non TSA OK) when flying from Thailand to the USA. When you arrive in the US, you always pass through customs at your first arrival point. At that point, you must open your bag only if ordered by an officer. Then, if you are connecting your bag to another city, if you keep the lock on, it may be broken (except for TSA locks). When flying from the US directly to abroad, your non-TSA lock may also be broken.

Edited by Jingthing

Nah a locked bag can be easily accessed within 2sec, those locks are worthless.

But it still takes the thief a little time to open it. He might use something to cut, that he cannot carry with him on plane (if he's a passenger).

With the 2nd option, anyone can just open it with bare hands.

I'm curious to know how many members think it's worth putting locks on luggage to deter thieves/drugs.

I always use mini-padlocks oare the twisty-ties.

I've learned the hard-way. prescription glasses stolen, and other items at times.

Y'all are not getting this at all. We are talking about CHECKED baggage. So the thefts that occur are INSIDE JOBS by airport staff. If there is no lock, there is no evidence that anything was tampered with. if you have a lock and it is broken, there is the evidence.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing,

I understand the theory of having "evidence" of your bags being tampered. But at that point I would think its too late to recover your goods. I do see the reasoning if you are worried about drugs being placed in your bags. Then again, after finding 'evidence' of tampering you would have to quickly find and discretly get rid of the drugs.

Jingthing,

I understand the theory of having "evidence" of your bags being tampered. But at that point I would think its too late to recover your goods. I do see the reasoning if you are worried about drugs being placed in your bags. Then again, after finding 'evidence' of tampering you would have to quickly find and discretly get rid of the drugs.

These inside people don't wish to get caught. If someone reports something missing and the bag wasn't locked, how do you know he isn't lying? Also people usually do not open their bags until they are far away from the airport and most thefts are never reported. On the contrary if your lock was broken you would check your bag right there and most people would report the theft right there. There is DEFINITELY a much greater chance of a theft if you don't lock. What could be more obvious? Geez.

Edited by Jingthing

I always lock the families luggage. My main suitcase has an integrated TSA approved lock and for the other bags I have 4 fluorescent green TSA approved combination lock straps. I have had my bags gone through on at least 10 occasions by the TSA (they leave a note in the bag) most likely because of all of the electronic gear I carry. All the wires and adapters look like a bomb in the x-ray machines.

Jingthing,

I understand your point, but disagree. The only time I have ever had my CHECKED bags broken into and items stolen was when it was locked. It was reported and I never had my itmes returned. From then on I have never locked my bags and have not had any items stolen. Maybe I have been lucky or un-lucky. If you can tell me which it is, then I will know. I am trying to put a "smiley" here but it isnte working.

regards

Edited by wannascuba