Make Thailand Beautiful

12DrinkMore

WOW!

Just saw an advert on Thai TV about not throwing rubbish all over the place, it was related to diving, but maybe they will expand this theme?

I really hope this takes off and the Thais will stop destroying the natural beauty that exists here.

especially in Isaan,here on the islands its a mixture of rubbish washed up on the beach,lazy tourists,and the locals.

Once while in Taiwan, me and a bunch of round eyes got together and started picking up trash in a local park. Next thing you know the "press" shows up, and then the police.

We were asked to stop....

We made them lose face! The mayor invited us to his office and we had a "sit down" he told us that "guests" in his country should not have to clean his country.... but if we wanted to perform a service, we could teach his secretaries English....

Honestly, his secretaries were "easy on the eye" and we had no objections

We made them lose face! The mayor invited us to his office and we had a "sit down" he told us that "guests" in his country should not have to clean his country.... but if we wanted to perform a service, we could teach his secretaries English....

Honestly, his secretaries were "easy on the eye" and we had no objections

Now there was an offer! :o:D

On topic, it would be beyond my wildest dreams for the Thai government to instigate such a clean up scheme and then a mighty leap beyond that for the Thai people to actually implement it. No, it's too easy to throw the rubbish out of the car window than to take it home and put it in a bin. Tourists don't help the situation but in the overall scheme of things they are a small percentage.

I'd like to be able to point to my home country, the UK, as an example of what can be achieved. But whilst the countyside is kept reasonably clean and tidy the city centres and many urban areas are often strewn with trash (some of it is still walking around).

It is a worldwide problem. We, the human race, produce too much garbage and we are fast approaching a tipping point where we will have to change our ways.

On a recent trip to Vientiene even my (Thai) wife commented on how much cleaner the streets were there than they are in Thailand but back on Thai soil she still trys to throw all the rubbish out of the car window if I don't stop her. When I complain she smiles guiltily then just says it's Thailand, it's what Thai people do. Yet she didn't do it in Vientiene and she never does it when we're in the UK. I think it'll take a lot more than some TV advertizing to change their attitude towards the problem.

When i go fishing at some fishingpark its always a mess, i deposit my garbage in the cans, but many just toss stuff everywhere. Its such a shame and its a shame the owner of the park doesnt let his staff clean it. It would look so much nicer without all the garbage.

I do notice the lack of garbage bins in Thailand and i often have to keep my rubbish in my hand for a long time before i see an other. That might be part of the problem too.

especially in Isaan,here on the islands its a mixture of rubbish washed up on the beach,lazy tourists,and the locals

I didn't know that Issan had a beach, maybe the global warming has raised the sea levels that far already. :o

there is a comma after isaan!but there are a lot of isaan ladies here.

I am English and I trained my first (UK) son to keep a trash bag in the car and when it gets full to put it in the household bin and stick another in the car.

Now I live in Thailand with my Thai wife and Thai son its just that bit harder to train them. However it mostly works with them. Now all I have to do is to train the other people around the house but I am working in NZ and it will be a while before I can fix them.

I am English and I trained my first (UK) son to keep a trash bag in the car and when it gets full to put it in the household bin and stick another in the car.

Now I live in Thailand with my Thai wife and Thai son its just that bit harder to train them. However it mostly works with them. Now all I have to do is to train the other people around the house but I am working in NZ and it will be a while before I can fix them.

yep everything starts and ends with what you teach at home.a line from an old crosby,stills,nash and young song says"teach your children well"

Most of you are joking right ? One has great difficulty attempting to teach the important things in life to a Thai because many already know everything , something akin to the Western teen-ager you suggest leaves home because he already ' Knows it all ' .

I recall walking past a man and a boy fiddling with a moto , when they fired it up I told them the exhaust was plugged , little to no pressure at the end of the exhaust . Walking back some 15/20 minutes later , they had the carb appart and were scratching heads on how to reassemble it , I obliged and re-installed it . I asked for a hammer and a punch , had the hammer , every Thai has a hammer and a machette right , then I espied a screwdriver with the handle smashed off , convenient chisel . I selected a spot at the front end of the muffler and made a large hole , told them to fire it up , made a lot of noise but it reved fine . They are most likely still driving it just the way I left them .

Teach a Thai what ? Never tried again , lost cause . :o

I cleaned a beach here for about 4 months last year. I posted before and after picture here. The improvement was brilliant. It was a thankless task and although initially keen and determined I have now given up on it as a hopeless task :o . It's easier to avoid visiting the beach. After all it's impossible to educate the whole nation.

I think Liter in Thailand would be one of the most fruitful and inexpensive things to eradicate while having the maximum positive impact on the country. I'd love to see a vigorous campaign to change the attitude of Thai's and liter.

I think Liter in Thailand would be one of the most fruitful and inexpensive things to eradicate while having the maximum positive impact on the country. I'd love to see a vigorous campaign to change the attitude of Thai's and liter.

yes me too,but where there are poor people(money wise) you always find litter,even in the west,its all about education and thai education aint to good.

Some years ago, I took the train from Malaysia to BKK. Needless to say, in the course of such a long journey, the train filled up with discarded food packaging, empty drinks cans/bottles etc. When the train conductor came along in the morning to switch the sleeping bunks back to seats, he also gathered up all the garbage in plastic sacks and stowed them at the end of the carriage by the doors. Very good, I thought - until I then saw him throwing the sacks out of the moving train about an hour or so before we arrived in BKK. :o

I tried in vain to stop a former g/f throwing all her rubbish out the car window. She wanted the car to be clean and tidy before getting back home. My protests were always met with a smile and more rubbish thrown out of the window.

If only there was a value on the plastic bags, like the cans and cardboard etc. then the trash pickers would have the streets cleaned OVERNIGHT!!!!! :D

The biggest offenders are those drinks served in the bags with ice, they drive along on the motorcycle and just toss them when the drink is done!! :o

Back in the uk we always used to moan about those dirty,filthy scutterbugs

Yes you got it,gypsies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total disgusting creatures by our standards.Does anything seem similar to them here in Thailand.Sorry to say it but same same.

I am actualy ashamed of saying this but its fact.

12DrinkMore hits the nail on the head and I wish HM would say something abo0ut this.

When Thai friends of mine drop litter I say in Thai 'HM King never drops litter - why do you?' Needless to say, there is total loss of face and embarrassment and they scuttle to pick up the litter.

But I'm losing many Thai friends through my actions ....

Simon

I was walking down the road/beach in Pattaya last weekend and noted that a chap had put posters up on trees and posts at regular intervals trying to top people throwing cigarette ends onto the beach and into the water amongst other things. I then walked back and noted an old pick-up with a farang armed with multiple plastic bags hanging from his belt readying to set-off and collect more cigarette ends. There was already one full bag in the back of his pick-up. I admire his determination but reckon he's facing a very difficult task with the Thais and tourists! Guess this chap must be a bit of a character to the locals in the area. Good luck to him though.

While we were fishing in bkk ,the lake owners sons just threw any rubbish they had over there shoulder into a small pond which was full of glass bottles ,plastic bags and the like ...the owner said nothing... seems even the elders dont see rubbish everywhere as a being a problem...or mind looking at it.