Influx Of Africans On Khao San

mojo80

Does anyone else find it strange that there are a increasing group of mainly african men in bangkok and more paticularly gullivers on khao san and soi 5!

Also when there engaged in connversation with myself arent quite able to say why they are actually here, and the reasons i have got are shady to say the least!

Also the impact on the thai girl front is scary to say the least....if you understand my meaning!

And the fact im have been offered a certain "party enhancer" from some of these young chaps, not that im tarring everyone with the same brush as some of my good friends here of african decent have the same veiw

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't recently spent much time in either of those areas, so I can't say I've noticed your observations. However, I think it's fair to say that a good few of them are involved in illegal activities.

When I travelled through Hong Kong International in December, there were dozens of Nigerians at the excess/oversized baggage counter in T2. I was sat at the Heineken bar above & they all had these huge (I mean huge) parcels filled with clothing. Looking at the body motions of both parties, to say they weren't seeing eye to eye would be an understatement. As I sat there slurping my Heineken Extra Cold, I found it quite entertaining & even took some photos. By the looks of things their oversize baggage was way oversized & most disgruntledly, they were removing some of the clothing. The parcels were clearly marked for Lagos so, I guess there must be money to be made back there exporting clothing etc. from the Far East.

Edited by ClaytonSeymour

Does anyone else find it strange that there are a increasing group of mainly african men in bangkok and more paticularly gullivers on khao san and soi 5!

Also when there engaged in connversation with myself arent quite able to say why they are actually here, and the reasons i have got are shady to say the least!

Also the impact on the thai girl front is scary to say the least....if you understand my meaning!

And the fact im have been offered a certain "party enhancer" from some of these young chaps, not that im tarring everyone with the same brush as some of my good friends here of african decent have the same veiw

I haven't recently spent much time in either of those areas, so I can't say I've noticed your observations. However, I think it's fair to say that a good few of them are involved in illegal activities.

When I travelled through Hong Kong International in December, there were dozens of Nigerians at the excess/oversized baggage counter in T2. I was sat at the Heineken bar above & they all had these huge (I mean huge) parcels filled with clothing. Looking at the body motions of both parties, to say they weren't seeing eye to eye would be an understatement. As I sat there slurping my Heineken Extra Cold, I found it quite entertaining & even took some photos. By the looks of things their oversize baggage was way oversized & most disgruntledly, they were removing some of the clothing. The parcels were clearly marked for Lagos so, I guess there must be money to be made back there exporting clothing etc. from the Far East.

'shady to say the least' - yep, being black and in thailand will make you instantly guilty

strange body motions and drinking heineken extra cold - they must be criminals then :o .

'shady to say the least' - yep, being black and in thailand will make you instantly guilty

strange body motions and drinking heineken extra cold - they must be criminals then :o .

Many are teaching up country with fake degrees, just like many farang.

Nice bit of racist stereotyping for your first post. The impudence of those Africans, hanging around Khao San and Soi 5 and not telling you why they are there :o

Nice bit of racist stereotyping for your first post. The impudence of those Africans, hanging around Khao San and Soi 5 and not telling you why they are there :o

I can't believe no one's picked up on the " impact on the thai girl front is scary to say the least.....if you understand my meaning "

That is of course if he/she's implying what i think he/she is..

I can't believe no one's picked up on the " impact on the thai girl front is scary to say the least.....if you understand my meaning "

That is of course if he/she's implying what i think he/she is..

The facts are that people from sub-sahara Africa have a higher incidence of HIV positive infection than Europeans. It is just the truth.

There are actually a lot of Nigerians now in Vietnam as well,mostly though,in Saigon.But suffice to say because of their somewhat dubious business dealings the Viets dont want them

It is now much more difficult (i.e. expensive) for them to renew their 'business' visas in VN so probably explains why more of them are now parked in Thailand and Laos.

I don't know if there are any more than usual, but with the noticably fewer numbers of tourists, they tend to stand out more.

I used to like shopping at Foodland Soi 5 after a few bevies on a Friday night, but I see they have invaded the little bar next door in droves. Between that and all the MENA people jammed around the food counter inside, and drunks and pimps in the area, it's becoming a bit of a hassle.

Just curious, looking at the posts above, are we saying that all these fine folks are here on tourist visas?

Wow! Breaking news..

Africans looking shifty and up to no good..... Hardly news is it?.. Just worrying that their numbers seem to be increasing. They aren't tourists and sem to have little legitimate reason to be in BKK.

Despite all the nonsense about racism posted here the facts speak for themselves African's make up the largest % of foreign prisoners in the Thai prison system... They aren't there cos of their skin colour.. They are there because they did something illegal.. (http://www.nationmaster.com)

The reason many people think that blacks are upto something illegal is cos in many countries despite being a minority they often make up the majority of those incarcerated in the jails.. Maybe this has become a stereotype but there is no smoke without fire..

back in 1996 the area just on the other side of KSR was called little Africa but back then they all seemed to dress like LA gang bangers as for soi 5 it is called little Africa and there are many Africans trolling for game. :o

ok, but why do the authorities not do anything about this? am i missing something?

[Many are teaching up country with fake degrees, just like many farang.

"Many" of them are in the "diamond trade", unlike many farangs, for what I know

true, we only buy them, not sell them.

When I was young I loved being outside at night w/ my friends.

We'd hold lightning bugs on our fingers and pretend they were diamond rings, from our prince charming! :D

"Many" of them are in the "diamond trade", unlike many farangs, for what I know

Legal or illegal blood diamonds? :D

err..... :o

same same goes for many farangs spotting here in thailand also :D

Edited by teacup

I don't see what is racist about wanting people who cause problems to leave the country. If the Africans are not causing problems, fine. Get rid of the drug dealing ones, or the Nigerian "I have 50 million dollars that I want to transfer into your account" ones. I feel the same way about the lily skinned farangs who cause problems to...drug smuglers, child molestors...what have you. The guys who think it is cool to get drunk and dance around on the bars when everyone really wants to see only the girls...they ESPECIALLY should be deported.

back in 1996 the area just on the other side of KSR was called little Africa but back then they all seemed to dress like LA gang bangers as for soi 5 it is called little Africa and there are many Africans trolling for game. :o

ok, but why do the authorities not do anything about this? am i missing something?

They have sporadic round ups, they are probably due one again soon.

it's not racist, it's envy! :D