Opposition Warns PM Over Land Reform Plan

Gravelrash

One way to avoid land grabing would probably be to make sure the title deed owner (a farmer i presume) not being able to transfer and/or sell the land for 10 years ... or even 20 years ... but still being able to use the land as collateral ... This would probably hamper the greed from well to do families to use nominees as they won't be able to transfer the land for a long time ...

Land distribution (re-allocation) is a basically sound policy.

Who would be willing to lend if the collateral can't be transferred to them if the loan is defaulted on?

There are plenty of loan sharks out there hunting for prey. They will take anything, including deed, contract, agreements, gold, silver, amluet, fingers, daughter, son and even wife. And all these is just to cover the 20% per month interest. This is real. There is a forum in ThaiVisa that discuss about this 20% per month interest in Thailand, even though by law, government only legally allow 18% PER YEAR.

Most farmers will try to borrow from banks or village funds first, and there are banks specially tasked with lending for agriculture. There are also cooperative and share schemes run in some communities, and then there is family. People will only use the loan sharks as for loan of last resort. In fact in the poor villages I know the loan sharks tend to loan mainly to the gamblers etc rather than those working. Also borrowing from "the man" interest can vary and be as low as zero percent.

While loan sharks are out there trying to make on anyone they can, their practices are well known and avoided at all cost where possible, and people's exposure to them is not as rabid as you mention. Some of the things you mention as being lost are more likely lost over a game of cards than by borrowing, and contrary to popular belief sons and daughters are not commonly sold in Thailand these days (a little still in certain communities certain upper Northern provinces) and to suggest so in the villages I know would result in a prompt kicking by the locals.

Personally I tend to see the loan sharking as more of a problem within poor communities in urban areas than in village communities.

Personally I tend to see the loan sharking as more of a problem within poor communities in urban areas than in village communities

Or probably also to small businesses with no available liquidity and if in quick need of it to satisfy a manufacturing order will have no time to have the loan approved by the bank ....

To go back to the topic i recall that Mr. Taksin launched a program to rehabilitate land called something like : 'turn capital into assets' and this was very succefull. I guess the democrats are trying to do a little of the same.

Personally I tend to see the loan sharking as more of a problem within poor communities in urban areas than in village communities

Or probably also to small businesses with no available liquidity and if in quick need of it to satisfy a manufacturing order will have no time to have the loan approved by the bank ....

To go back to the topic i recall that Mr. Taksin launched a program to rehabilitate land called something like : 'turn capital into assets' and this was very succefull. I guess the democrats are trying to do a little of the same.

In an effort to bring national reconciliation (not just talk about it), they are picking out programs which add value to the people of Thailand while remaining mindful of the turbulent economic conditions ahead. They really don't care which party originated the program. Remember the old saying, "don't throw the baby out with the bath wash." They are keeping the good parts where applicable.

When would man stop their hunger for assets, especially land and houses. A house is not a home until it is filled with un-conditional love.

Are you saying unless one is a narcissist a single person cannot call their house a home?

Matichon reportedly reported that there's little available land left in the South, no cookie jar for Democrats at all.

On the other hand there's also a reported rift within government ranks caused by this scheme, too.

As I said in my earlier post, this is merely a sweetener/pacifier to the Friends of Newin mob. Read up the history of Group 16 and Sor Pok Kor in Isaan for clues. There's serious money for some to be made from Land Reform land privatization/liberalization, but it ain't in the South. :o

Matichon reportedly reported that there's little available land left in the South, no cookie jar for Democrats at all.

On the other hand there's also a reported rift within government ranks caused by this scheme, too.

As I said in my earlier post, this is merely a sweetener/pacifier to the Friends of Newin mob. Read up the history of Group 16 and Sor Pok Kor in Isaan for clues. There's serious money for some to be made from Land Reform land privatization/liberalization, but it ain't in the South. :o

MPs not from the south are going to love it as they can expand their influence. It is not only about money. Indeed it the southern Dem MPs and I guess BKK ones who get nothing from it. Sanan and CTP will love it too.

Ironically, it was that old group of 16 led by Newin that brought Democrat government down for this land scandal in the early nineties and now they got their own hands on the program while Democrats can only sit and watch as there's nothing to steal left in their areas.

To try a short and non partisan answer, I believe that this measure can be very beneficial for some rural areas that are currently held back by the lack of proper land titles.

What one needs to develop properly a piece of land is money and expertise. Unfortunately, the current land "owners" lack both, and the structure of the land ownership doesn't allow the transfer of these lands to people who have them.

In the area that I know, who are the successful land "users"? 25% are local and 75% outsiders. One has to be realistic, most of the poor land owners lack basic education and are completely unable to take advantage of the new opportunities. And most of the outsiders are people with technical expertise rather than greedy land grabbers.

If the government is really willing to help these poor farmers, the best way would be to use the process of this land redistribution to found proper education and formation in these areas.