Market Town On Border With Myanmar

islandguy

Could some of you local Prachuap Khiri Khan members give me some information about the Myanmar border market that is near 'Thailand's Narrowest Point'? I think it is called Three Pagodas Pass in an earlier thread, or Singkhon Pass (on #1039 road). I drive past there occasionally and it sounds like it might be an interesting diversion on the way between Samui and Bangkok. What kinds of things do they sell there? I would be particularly interested in furniture or crystals, but things like baskets or textiles would be fun to take a look at also. Any warnings or things to be careful about there? Thank you for any help.

Could some of you local Prachuap Khiri Khan members give me some information about the Myanmar border market that is near 'Thailand's Narrowest Point'? I think it is called Three Pagodas Pass in an earlier thread, or Singkhon Pass (on #1039 road). I drive past there occasionally and it sounds like it might be an interesting diversion on the way between Samui and Bangkok. What kinds of things do they sell there? I would be particularly interested in furniture or crystals, but things like baskets or textiles would be fun to take a look at also. Any warnings or things to be careful about there? Thank you for any help.

If you are talking about Dansingkorn, it has one big furniture store (some neat stuff), several smaller ones, a "standard" gem shop a few restaurants .. all on the Thai side. It's a "closed" crossing. I'm not sure if it's worth the drive .. about 15 km off Phetkasem Road.

You may be talking about two different places here. There is a Burmese town that you can get a day visit visa to at the border. They sell mostly furniture and a lot of people, Thai and foreigners living in Thailand go there to buy. There may be crystals as well as there are other shops but I mainly went to look at furniture which the town is famous for.

The reason I think this is the town you are talking about is that you mentioned Three Pagoda Pass and that is where the border crossing to this town is, but it is not at he narrowest point of Thailand and is in the mountains in Kanchanaburi province. It would not be on your way between Samui and Bangkok and would be at least a two hour side trip. To get there you go through Kanchanaburi City and head up the highway that follows closest to the Burmese border. It becomes a narrow, slow, winding road (but well sealed) for the last hour or so to the border crossing. It's a beautiful drive and well worth the trip as there are other things to see and do along the way. First is hel_l Fire Pass (of WWII fame) and then there are a couple of beautiful waterfalls as well as an outdoor natural hot spring bathing area. There are also a couple of beautiful golf courses that are well maintained and little used on that highway.

At Three Pagoda Pass, all you need is your passport and they will process a day trip visa on the spot in about 30 minutes. The visa allows you to only visit the one border town as there is a military barrier on the opposite end of town where you are not allowed to go further on your day visa.

Dan Sing Khon is about 20km from downtown Prachuap Kiri Khan, and maybe 12km or so from the Petchkasem Highway. Not much going on during the regular days, but the weekend market is a big draw for orchid lovers. Early Sat and Sun morning. By noon, it's practically over.

You may be talking about two different places here. There is a Burmese town that you can get a day visit visa to at the border. They sell mostly furniture and a lot of people, Thai and foreigners living in Thailand go there to buy. There may be crystals as well as there are other shops but I mainly went to look at furniture which the town is famous for.

The reason I think this is the town you are talking about is that you mentioned Three Pagoda Pass and that is where the border crossing to this town is, but it is not at he narrowest point of Thailand and is in the mountains in Kanchanaburi province. It would not be on your way between Samui and Bangkok and would be at least a two hour side trip. To get there you go through Kanchanaburi City and head up the highway that follows closest to the Burmese border. It becomes a narrow, slow, winding road (but well sealed) for the last hour or so to the border crossing. It's a beautiful drive and well worth the trip as there are other things to see and do along the way. First is hel_l Fire Pass (of WWII fame) and then there are a couple of beautiful waterfalls as well as an outdoor natural hot spring bathing area. There are also a couple of beautiful golf courses that are well maintained and little used on that highway.

At Three Pagoda Pass, all you need is your passport and they will process a day trip visa on the spot in about 30 minutes. The visa allows you to only visit the one border town as there is a military barrier on the opposite end of town where you are not allowed to go further on your day visa.

Thanks for the interesting tip, hhfarang. I did mean the other location, however. I think it is Road # 1039, but it is where the narrowest point of Thailand's part of the Isthmus is in Prachuap Khiri Khan. Is the border closed there now? I had heard you could cross over for a couple of hours and that there was a local market there. I wouldn't mind a 15k detour since I usually take 2 days for the drive just so I can explore a little, so even if it is closed at the crossing I might go. klikster, what kind of furniture was it that they had on the Thai side? I don't want big massive pieces, but have a truck, so solid wood bookshelves or a table is what I would be interested to buy. Thanks :o

klikster, what kind of furniture was it that they had on the Thai side? I don't want big massive pieces, but have a truck, so solid wood bookshelves or a table is what I would be interested to buy. Thanks :D

IMO, some of the better looking wood designs I have seen. The big shop is run by some very nice folks from Thapsake. They either own or have a deal with a shop in Burma. Not all is teak, but it's still nice looking wood.

I have seen everything from a slab type table 1.5 X ~5 m to small table, book cases, bars etc. They will also deliver. Some really nice looking round dining style tables about 2 m diameter. They will also deliver .. not sure about Samui though. :o

The turnoff is just south of the 331 km marker and is pretty well marked.

Edited by klikster