Third Uk Visa Application

Need some advice or information on a repeat application for a UK visa for my Thai wife.

She initially was granted a 6 month visa in 2004 and obtained a 2 year visa in 2005.

To obtain a new visa VFS (agent for UK Embassy) informed me that consideration would be given to issuing a 5 year visa next which from a cost and convenience point of view is preferable. However, VFS can’t give me a definitive answer on what criteria the British Embassy would consider for a 5 year visa against applying for a 2 year visa. My worry is that the application might be turned down and the fee lost whereas it may not happen if applying only for the 2 year visa.

Has anyone had experience of moving up the timescale ladder in applying for UK visas and if so what was the result.

Need some advice or information on a repeat application for a UK visa for my Thai wife.

She initially was granted a 6 month visa in 2004 and obtained a 2 year visa in 2005.

To obtain a new visa VFS (agent for UK Embassy) informed me that consideration would be given to issuing a 5 year visa next which from a cost and convenience point of view is preferable. However, VFS can't give me a definitive answer on what criteria the British Embassy would consider for a 5 year visa against applying for a 2 year visa. My worry is that the application might be turned down and the fee lost whereas it may not happen if applying only for the 2 year visa.

Has anyone had experience of moving up the timescale ladder in applying for UK visas and if so what was the result.

How many times has she used the 2 year visa and for how long in total. If she has a good history of using the visas given and hasn't misused them, then there is obviously a good chance that you will get the visa you apply for. I have no experience of a 5 year visit visa, but if you have always been honest with them and abided by the terms of your visas, then there is no reason that they should refuse if you give them the same level of proof as you have in the past.

To obtain a new visa VFS (agent for UK Embassy) informed me that consideration would be given to issuing a 5 year visa next which from a cost and convenience point of view is preferable. However, VFS can't give me a definitive answer on what criteria the British Embassy would consider for a 5 year visa against applying for a 2 year visa. My worry is that the application might be turned down and the fee lost whereas it may not happen if applying only for the 2 year visa.

How many times has she used the 2 year visa and for how long in total. If she has a good history of using the visas given and hasn't misused them, then there is obviously a good chance that you will get the visa you apply for. I have no experience of a 5 year visit visa, but if you have always been honest with them and abided by the terms of your visas, then there is no reason that they should refuse if you give them the same level of proof as you have in the past.

Thanks for the response.

In answer to the first part she used the visa only twice and complied with all conditions. I am not sure if using it only twice would be sufficient justification for granting a 5 year visa though.

Thanks for the response.

In answer to the first part she used the visa only twice and complied with all conditions. I am not sure if using it only twice would be sufficient justification for granting a 5 year visa though.

What is the fee difference between the visit visas?

I don't think there is a number of times you should use the visa, but the fact she used it a couple of times and complied goes in her favour. I don't think there is a difference in what they are looking for in the different length visit visas, but obviously will only give longer visas to people who have shown that they can abide by shorter visas given in the past. ie they probably don't like to give 5 year visas as a first visa, but after a couple of visas have been used and used correctly, they will probably be ok with granting a longer term visa. If you're unsure you could always get another 2 year and then next time apply for a 5. I guess it's all down to whther you can be bothered to go through the process again in 2 years time. :o

Edited by CharlieB

The only thing on this link that I can see is the line:

"Longer term visas are generally issued to frequent travellers."

It depends on your definition of frequent I suppose. Your wife went to the UK 3 times in the space of about 3 years, so once a year. It's not frequent when compared with someone going every month, but the UK is half way round the world and not that cheap to visit every couple of months.

I guess it depends on whether you think you will actually use the visa much in those 5 years. You may want to play safe and not lose the fee and get a 2 year again.