Thai Airways Cut Domestic, International Fares

george

We are flying out of Heathrow on Saturday with Thai and I happened to look at their site and the original plane flying back as been changed from a 747 to a A340, as I had pre-booked out seats I rang them and asked if they had re-allocated them and they had but had sat one of us on our own I asked them to seat us in the middle so we could all sit together. I also asked them why they had changed the plane and they said they could not fill them and they had knocked flights off to US and were using those planes.

Also its my hubby's 40th when we fly and I rang them in November and asked if I could buy a bottle of Champagne to be presented to him on the flight they told me I was too early I rang yesterday and told me I was too late!! We are flying economy and I asked if there was anyway I could buy some on the plane as I know they give it to business/first class they said no too much paperwork.

Very disappointed

When you board the aircraft ask to speak to the Pursor/Flight Service Director and tell them it's your husband's 40th! I'm sure they will do something. I work for Etihad and before that another airline and as an FSD I get requests like this all the time and know from my friends with other carriers they do also and we can be accommodating. I'm sure Thai will be just as as helpful.

Good luck!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't appear the fares haven't been cut as yet, the article only says "is cutting"... (as in TBA?)

Meanwhile, THAI has delayed delivery of the eight new A330-300's and wants to put off the decommissioning of ageing aircraft, namely six A300-600s and also two Boeing 747-300s which have been in use for more than two decades...

Not being an industry analyst but it 'might' be more prudent to try and get the shiny new fuel and maintenance saving A330-300's phased in sooner than later, and fill 'em to optimum even with lower-cost fares - versus using some of the decaying and more expensive fleet. This would give THAI a needed image boost and a 'possible' shot in the arm for Thailand tourism at the same time (unfortunately the A330-300's won't be delivered any time soon).

Jetstar and AirAsiaX seem to make a go of lower cost tickets (even thriving in some niches) thus THAI probably could do so as well (with a bit/a LOT) of pencil sharpening... Regionally and domestically, former prima-donna THAI is fast becoming a fading dinosaur. Even Bangkok airways is showing signs of waking up- or perhaps looking to broaden their 'thiefdom' of traditional 'trapped market' protected routes by offering a codeshare with Etihad to Samui and Phuket from long-haul origins (hopefully Etihad can have a positive influence here).

Over the past several years THAI has lost to more progressive carriers domestically, regionally and long-haul.

All the while THAI has been perpetually laden with political cronies who's main priority appeared to be 'protect perks and pals' at ALL costs. One wonders if the hedging contracts which has THAI now paying US$100 per barrel for jet fuel (current market price reportedly $62) was yet another 'sweetheart' deal? Regardless, at US$100 a barrel, they're starting from a deficit every time a flight takes off. Add in a union hel_l-bent on protecting turf/perks as well and it's going to be a challenge to turn THAI around.

Some of this 'may' be set to change (one hopes for the better) with the new Govt telling directors, board and execs to cut perks such as free travel etc etc, ETC... THAI's board is also on notice to shape-up or ship-out (and not on a first-class seat). Also today, Airports of Thailand board members quit en masse as they probably recognised their turn on the dissipating gravy-train was coming to an abrupt close anyways.

Will the new boards 'fare' any better or worse? We shall see... :o

Edited by baht&sold

This is again one of these Thai Airlines tourist traps. Donot believe them guys, their fair prices will not change and their "service" will remain on the same "level" as before. I just checked their website for a trip to Frankfurt and the price is still far too high in comparison with all other airlines.

Air Berlin, EVA, China, BA, Finnair and Austrian have much better rates and services.

We are flying out of Heathrow on Saturday with Thai and I happened to look at their site and the original plane flying back as been changed from a 747 to a A340, as I had pre-booked out seats I rang them and asked if they had re-allocated them and they had but had sat one of us on our own I asked them to seat us in the middle so we could all sit together. I also asked them why they had changed the plane and they said they could not fill them and they had knocked flights off to US and were using those planes.

Also its my hubby's 40th when we fly and I rang them in November and asked if I could buy a bottle of Champagne to be presented to him on the flight they told me I was too early I rang yesterday and told me I was too late!! We are flying economy and I asked if there was anyway I could buy some on the plane as I know they give it to business/first class they said no too much paperwork.

Very disappointed

When you board the aircraft ask to speak to the Pursor/Flight Service Director and tell them it's your husband's 40th! I'm sure they will do something. I work for Etihad and before that another airline and as an FSD I get requests like this all the time and know from my friends with other carriers they do also and we can be accommodating. I'm sure Thai will be just as as helpful.

Good luck!

Agreed, ask when you're there. You're probably just getting a monkey on the line who doesn't want the hassle of it all. Failing that, buy a bottle yourself (while hubby's not looking), give it to the head honcho (not el capitain) and tell him/her to do it for you. :o

Can you buy booze to take on the plane nowadays btw?

This looks to be a joke so far ! :D

I've been looking and looking at Thai Air prices for the last couple of weeks. This morning, my Dubai-Bangkok (return) in Business Class was quoted at 4,190 dirhams (39,900THB).

I read this topic this afternoon, and just checked the exact same flight again, and the price has gone up to 4,350 dirhams (41,450THB)! Maybe it's my math, but that looks like an increase, not a decrease ! :o

The saddest part is, I can't book it online from this location (Thai Air won't allow it, or issue an e-ticket, for flights originating in Dubai). I even tried booking through the Thai Air reservation office in Dubai, and they quoted a price over 1,000 dirhams (9,500 THB) higher than their website !

I've gone to two different booking agents, and the one I normally use (and usually get a great deal from), is quoting a price significantly higher (about 20,000 baht higher in fact). They tell me that for some reason, Thai Air isn't letting them book the flight at the quoted price, unless the travel is within 3 days of the booking !

I did go to TV Travel for a quote as well. Lets just say, as much as I like TV, I can't see paying over double what is offered on the Thai Air website. Sorry George.

My guess is that the ME routes are probably already running at capacity (or nearly so) and therefore there isn't any incentive to offer discounts on those routes. Probably the (small) price increase is meant to help offset other routes that aren't doing as well. A 1,500 baht increase doesn't sound like much, but on a plane with 300 passengers that equals an additional 450,000 baht per flight.

Maybe I'll have to check Turkmenistan Airways to see what their rates are. I see they have a check-in counter at Swampy. Ahh good old Turkmenistan Air, where "cattle class" really does include cattle (and goats, chickens, donkeys, etc) !! :D

I might be coming late March - but only recently had an operation so no booking yet - last night looking at Thai - want to go:

LHR-BKK 3 days

Phuket 7/8 days

then back

The price was an astonishing (this is economy by the way!):

£1350

even BA are doing LHR-BKK for £600

what is happening? I would prefer to book Thai even though the 747s are rubbish just for the ease of transfer and dont like stopovers flight is long enough

So what should I do wait for these "magical" fares to appear?

Seems nobody read what I said before. The fares are for real, at leastout of Bangkok. And they started already on Jan 1st and will last until March 31st.

Her my sample booking:

Flight Detail

Outbound Flight

Depart Sat 24 Jan 2009 , 13:30

Bangkok, Thailand

(BKK)

Arrive Sat 24 Jan 2009 , 19:35

Heathrow, United Kingdom

(LHR)

Thai Airways Intl

TG 916

Total travel time : 13 hrs 5 mins

Return Flight

Depart Sun 25 Jan 2009 , 11:50

Heathrow, United Kingdom

(LHR)

Arrive Mon 26 Jan 2009 , 06:10

Bangkok, Thailand

(BKK)

Thai Airways Intl

TG 911

Please review the fare and confirm the trip.

Fare / Airfare

Fare Summary

Passenger Type Currency Price Tax Total

1 Adult THB 25,690 9,505 35,195

Grand Total THB 35,195

Pls. pay the total purchase price on : 21 Jan 2009

* The price is the fare (s) only, not including any service charges.

I have read, understood and accepted all fare conditions and all ThaitravelCenter.com’s Terms & Conditions (please check box to continue)

Seems very strange to me :o

BANGKOK, Jan 21 (Reuters) - Thai Airways International THAI.BK said on Wednesday it was seeking up to 34 billion baht ($974 million) in loans from financial institutions for working capital and debt refinancing.

It said in a statement it was looking for 19 billion baht for working capital and 15 billion baht for refinancing short-term loans.

"We need the funds as soon as possible," a Thai Airways official told Reuters.

On Monday, the airline said it was seeking 19 billion baht in loans from state-owned banks as it needed working capital after being hit by recent shutdowns of Bangkok airports. [nBKK395632] ($1=34.90 Baht) (Reporting by Arada Therdthammakun and Viparat Jantraprap; Editing by Alan Raybould)

And then cut fares??????

It is still far far cheaper to fly to KL from CM on Air Asia £65, then take a £130 flight one way to the UK. Back home for less than £200! Can't beat that anywhere!! These are their prices for October this year. :D

I asked my travel agent to look at that routing only this afternoon and she came up with 6700bht CNX-KL-CNX and 25380bht for the round trip from KL to LHR. What airline does that leg for £130, and do you have to help pedal? :o

After the way they treated my (Isaan) wife last year, we will NEVER fly Thai Air again. Ever. I don't care if tickets were free.

The Supervisor on duty dared to embarrass her by arguing and causing a scene with her when they were CLEARLY in the wrong. After I jumped into the matter (in Thai) and they realized she was my wife, they tried to kiss my.... apologizing profusely for what was THEIR series of errors. All because they thought they could get away with wrongfully demeaning someone from Isaan.

My wife was so upset and felt so humiliated that she could not eat nor sleep for the rest of the trans-pacific flight. NEVER again! We'll cheer if they go under. Karma!

I will never travel with Thai Airways again!!!

Terrible service and old planes, and more expensive than most European airlines to Bkk.

But I was looking at AirAsiaX new route from London - Kuala Lumpur , a round trip will cost you $500 . So I will have a look at it for my next trip.

I have just look on line to see if thai airways have reduced the price for international flights, but as yet they have not been reduce. i have booked flights from london to bangkok on west east travel in march for three weeks traveling with thai air £492. if I had of booked direct with thai air it would have cost £649 sohen are theyt going to discount there price, i have read on the net today that thai air have ask for a 35 billion bhat loan. what does that tell you

This is again one of these Thai Airlines tourist traps. Donot believe them guys, their fair prices will not change and their "service" will remain on the same "level" as before. I just checked their website for a trip to Frankfurt and the price is still far too high in comparison with all other airlines.

Air Berlin, EVA, China, BA, Finnair and Austrian have much better rates and services.

Some of you never miss a chance to trash Thai Air or anything Thai it seems? :o

I just checked their website for TG non-stop LAX-BKK for five possible dates April to November this coming year and they are all down. Perhaps not 50% but very competitive with far lesser airlines. As soon as my dates firm up in the next 30 days or so I'll be booking with them at their $1100-1300 price offered. they dropped the New York to BKK route last year but they still have the A340-500's flying out of LAX and I'll take advantage of it. Good on them for making a more competitive offer.

~WISteve

"We are flying out of Heathrow on Saturday with Thai and I happened to look at their site and the original plane flying back as been changed from a 747 to a A340, as I had pre-booked out seats I rang them and asked if they had re-allocated them and they had but had sat one of us on our own I asked them to seat us in the middle so we could all sit together. I also asked them why they had changed the plane and they said they could not fill them and they had knocked flights off to US and "

Well something is wrong here. Thai used the 340-500 on their flights to the US. Flights to UK will be flown on 340-600 and 747-400.

To those of you who don't like Thai for not having PVT or AVOD. I haven't been on a single return flight where the AVOD system worked perfectly on either going or returning back home. These systems fail way to often. Either they crash for the entire flight or crew has to do multiple resets. What is even worse regarding AVOD is that in the widebodies there will be a box controlling the AVODsystem under 3-4 seats in every single row. One box can control a maximum of 3 screens, so in the 747 4 seats will have limited legroom because of the box. And the box is not small.

What Thai offers, with a very very few other airliners in the world, is 34 inches pitch, most offers 32 or even 31 inches. And a service that usually is close to perfect.

I will fly Thai anyday. In fact there is no other airliner in the world I would rather fly.

Before 3 years I payed for a promotian ticket FFT BKK 555,- Euros,

today its more than 800,-

Last year when they announced promotianal price for Jan to march,

I called just 2 hrs after announcement, only 3 dates were left for this low rates,

in 3 months.

so I asked the operator if all was sold out in 2 hrs ??

he answered that only certain number of seats and for certain flights

promotional prices available.

Same will be with this promotion,

3 seats on every tuesday afternoon flight !

With free visa fee they want bring tourist in !

I travell 4 - 5 times a year, never over 30 days,

I dont need to pay any visa fee.

They want to bring in Chinese and russian turists .

An all my visits of any restaurants in last 5 years, in Pathaya, Phuket, Krabi, Samui, Koh Chang ,

...... maybee a 100 ore more dinning,

I cant remember ever have to seen any Chinese or Russion guest in this

middle class restaurants I prefere.

Maybee they are only visiting 6 stars hotels and restaurants ?

or they are self supplier in 7-11 ??

Tourism authority should evaluate who brings the money in the countrie !!

And this countries they should promote !!

Last year I got for my Euro 50 bht and more,

I dont worrie about worls krises,

I look in my pocket how much I have to pay in my currencie !!

Same with the hotels ! You book on internet - you get discounted 50% !

You walk on the beach and find a nice place,

maybee empty or 2 room out of 50 are occupied,

they will exist on 100% room rates.

I think Thai must not make a lot outside promotion,

they should start in front of their doors first.

SAWADEE,

Frank

AUSTRIA

Apropo: we know a Austrian in foreign country spends about 50.- Euros beside

of his normal expensis,

A swedish - more or same,

A chinese about 8,-

From russions I hear only that they take over red light district in Pathaya

Seems nobody read what I said before. The fares are for real, at leastout of Bangkok. And they started already on Jan 1st and will last until March 31st.

Her my sample booking:

Flight Detail

Outbound Flight

Depart Sat 24 Jan 2009 , 13:30

Bangkok, Thailand

(BKK)

Arrive Sat 24 Jan 2009 , 19:35

Heathrow, United Kingdom

(LHR)

Thai Airways Intl

TG 916

Return Flight

Depart Sun 25 Jan 2009 , 11:50

Heathrow, United Kingdom

(LHR)

Arrive Mon 26 Jan 2009 , 06:10

Bangkok, Thailand

(BKK)

Thai Airways Intl

TG 911

Please review the fare and confirm the trip.

Fare / Airfare

Fare Summary

Passenger Type Currency Price Tax Total

1 Adult THB 25,690 9,505 35,195

Grand Total THB 35,195

Pls. pay the total purchase price on : 21 Jan 2009

* The price is the fare (s) only, not including any service charges.

I have read, understood and accepted all fare conditions and all ThaitravelCenter.com’s Terms & Conditions (please check box to continue)

Of course nobody want to read what you said because if I give in the same details I get the following result.(this is the cheapest option from 3 choices offered)

light 1 Saturday, January 24, 2009

Departure: 13:30 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Arrival: 19:35 London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG916 e

Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Fare type: Economy Restricted

London to Bangkok

Flight 1 Sunday, January 25, 2009

Departure: 11:50 London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3

Arrival: 06:10 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG911 e

Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A340-600

Fare type: Economy Restricted

Legend:

e = e-ticket option,

THB = Thai Baht

Price

Travellers Flights Taxes

1 adult(s) x (38,560.00 + 9,505.00) = 48,065.00 THB

total for all travellers 48,065.00 THB

Discount or no discount with Thai Airways, as far as I can see it is approximately Bath 19,400 LESS expensive for me to fly with other airlines (e.g. Emirates, Quatar, Air Berlin, etc. to name but a few) from MUC to BKK in March.

There are many tiers of airfares with different restrictions and advanced purchase requirements. They may be basing their cuts on the full fare economy class and do nothing with the lowest fares. Airlines do this kind of reduction to make it seem that they have slashed airfares. I suggest www.sidestep.com as the best travel search engine to find the lowest fares. I also suggest checking on a daily basis because fares change daily. Alos if you are not ready to buy when you logon, don't waste your time. You may go back the next day and the fares have changed drastically.

I'm always a little suspiciouis of "Up to 50 %", so will wait and see what the actual offers are. If return flights originating from Thailand get the same discounts, then great news

I am surprised that they have not raised their prices again. Isn't that they way to do it when less income is coming in...lol

Complete and utter sheet -

From December 19, 2008 - March 31, 2009 buy domestic tickets except Chiang Mai – Mae Hong Son v.v. on www.thaiairways.com or www.thaiair.com and you will get a THB 100.- discount on normal fare per sector. (except V and W class). (From the site)

were they fully priced @ 200bht?

Flight 1Friday, February 06, 2009 Departure:14:15Bangkok, Thailand - Don Mueang International, terminal D Arrival:15:20 Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand - Ubon Ratchathani International Airline:Thai Airways Intl TG1022 e Aircraft:Airbus Industrie A300-600/600C Cabin Class:Economy Restricted

• Legend:
  • e = e-ticket option,
  • THB = Thai Baht

PriceTravellers Flights Taxes 1 adult(s) x (1,890.00+555.00) = 2,445.00 THB total for all travellers 2,445.00 THB

Same flight same day with Air Asia nearly 2000 :o bht cheaper, I know there is no comparison between the airlines but the difference in price is really astounding.

Depart Bangkok (BKK) to Ubon Ratchathani (UBP) Fri 06 Feb 2009 FD 3320 Depart 0810 Arrive 0915 Depart Bangkok (BKK) to Ubon Ratchathani (UBP) button-collapse.gif FD 3320 - Depart BKK 8:10 AM 02/06/09 Arrive UBP 9:15 AM 02/06/09 icon_plus.gif, Depart Total 763.98 THB icon_minus.gif, Depart Total 763.98 THB 1 Guest @ 499.00 499.00 THB Airport Tax 100.00 THB Insurance Surcharge 50.00 THB Administration Fee 65.00 THB Value Added Tax 49.98 THB icon_plus.gif, Services and Fees 0.00 THB icon_minus.gif, Services and Fees 0.00 THB Total763.98 THB

Gent's ! pls dont forget you are talking , or are with Thais !

I just now also checked my prefered next trip:

7th april , tuesday - a death day for travell frankfurt - Bkk,

and back on 17th april -

I requested lowest restricted fair :

I got :

this fair not available for this date,

next best they offer me:

Business class for 2.932,24 Euros,

today about 4200,- US $ ,

or about 132.000,- Th Bht !!!

When you go to some internet cheap ticket FFT - BKK,

under first 100 cheapest solutions you will not finf Thai airways !!

This now, real time checks -

GMT - 1 hr, 15.59 , 21st of Januar !

Thai Airways want to sell us for stupid, or what ???

On service still I dont agree with you, even they went down already so much,

that some African airlains give better service than Thai Airways !!

But some europeans are worse than this africans !! ( Airlines !! );

Sawadee

London to Bangkok

Flight 1 Friday, April 03, 2009 Departure: 12:30 London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3 Arrival: 06:05 +1 day(s) Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG911 e Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Fare type: Business

Bangkok to London

Flight 1 Saturday, April 18, 2009 Departure: 01:10 Bangkok, Thailand - Suvarnabhumi International Arrival: 07:15 London, United Kingdom - Heathrow, terminal 3

Airline: Thai Airways Intl TG910 e Aircraft: Boeing 747-400

Fare type: Business

• Legend:
  • e = e-ticket option,
  • GBP = British Pound,
  • THB = Thai Baht

I did this same route at Christmas (with another carrier) for less than £1500.00 (Less than half price!)

Price Travellers Flights Taxes

1 adult(s) x (3,435.00 + 224.70) = 3,659.70 GBP (188,415.08 THB)

I don't see much of a discount from HK to BKK. Still $650 USD per person round trip.

Just announced today. Wait a bit, maybe a week before prices actually drop. We'll see.

When are the prices going to drop?

Just checked and LHR-BKK is the same as last week.

RAZZ

:o Just checked Thai Airways site for a tkt LHR-BKK-LHR and the fair has GONE UP???? by over £20 to £547.

Expect the cheaper flights, are for passengers that sit outside, on the wings. :D

Hahahahahaha! Great post.

Can I join the choir?

I paid last year BKK-DPS-BKK with thai about 17.000 baht. old plane no tv crap food.

This year (with all the surcharges) I'll fly with Singapore Airlines for 12.000 (just 2 hours stop in SIN)

TG CIAO

I was able to get MUC - SIN on LH for EU 595 plus Star Alliance miles last month (3/29 departure) - their lowest advertised fare. 10 days ago they claimed you could have it for as low as EU 395 (!). However, a quick search only showed fares of 700 - 900+ and they cleverly don't show the dates you can get their cheapest fares on.

I'm happy I got it at this price.