Cordless Phones

Rasseru

I've been living with only a mobile for a few years, but have realised it would be useful to have a cordless phone for the landline too. Problem is, where are they sold? Best I've been able to discover, the shops in the IT places around town (as in Panthip Plaza, Airport Plaza and Central) do not stock them. I expanded my search to Robinson's and Carrefour, both of which had but a very poor selection of them, with none that had a built-in answering machine function. Any ideas?

~

Having been through this before, I found that the problem, as with many other devices purchased in Thailand, is the availability of maintenance items later on.

I purchased a Panasonic cordless at the Power Shop, top floor of Airport Plaza some time ago then discovered that they do not carry replacement batteries, that only last about six months, for the handset. We finally found them at Siam TV but they have them only occasionally. Not to mention that the phone is junk even tho it was the more expensive model with ans mach, etc..

Same with many other items I have in a 'junk drawer' - such as a very good quality Braun electric razor - Robinson sold the razor but not replacement heads/blades and ordering them over the internet is more expensive than the original cost of the device itself! Replacement print heads for Epson Stylus Color printers have to be specially ordered and cost more than a new printer.

On and on and is it just me? I hate the whole throw-away concept and end up tearing the item apart and scavaging every screw, nut, washer, rubber foot, et al., before dumping all that plastic and metal into the Thai environment.

I buy everything of this sort now from Siam TV - their products, service, professionalism is da kine in my book...

Good luck and please let me know if you find a satisfactory one as we are in the market once again... :o

Dust in the wind

~

Having been through this before, I found that the problem, as with many other devices purchased in Thailand, is the availability of maintenance items later on.

Saha Panit on the road to Mae Rim not far north (perhaps NNW for a pilot) of the super highway has a parts department in the back on the second floor. It is the big Toyota dealer with appliances and electrical stuff next to it. They are pretty good about ordering and getting stuff including hard to find Panisonic phone batteries. Was told by they are the prime distributor for Panisonic in CM when I was looking for batteries at Siam TV. Not sure about Braun.

Often good discount prices on new stuff too.

Thanks to all for the further input. All but Bill97, that is. Bill97, in your case I do not know whether or not to thank you because I cannot read your post. Following our PM exchange last year, in which I asked you whether you were trying to be offensive towards me or whether I was misreading you and you responded by calling me a headcase and a little shit, I applied the forum's conveniently available ignore setting to your posts, which means they do not appear for me.

An interim report.

I visited Makro. They had but one model of cordless phone, with a base handset out no satellite handsets and no built-in answering machine function.

I visited Siam TV too. My first visit, and a very nice place it is too. They too had but one model of cordless phone, though, a Panasonic. It too had only the base handset and no satellite handsets. But it did have an answering machine function and, even though it had no satellite, I was tempted to buy it. Based on Dustoff's warning here (for which many thanks), and despite his having been able to find a replacement battery at least once at Siam TV, I asked whether they carry replacement batteries. Answer, no, but (according to the salesman), Robinson does. I'll believe it when Robinson tell me they do, and I plan to visit and ask today. Oh! Just reread some of the thread and now, based on cmsally's tip about the stationary shop at Pantip Plaza (for which also many thanks), will check it out too, or maybe instead.

I may also check out Powerbuy at Airport Plaza.

Stay tuned.

For "All we are is . . . ", since he asked for it, a final report. Before doing any of the other things I said I was going to do, I succumbed today to Power Buy, at Central. They did not have on the shelves the particular Panasonic model I was looking for (with built-in answering machine and one satellite handset), but engaged me helpfully in English, produced a catalogue which did have it, and told me they could order it and have it here in about a week. Regarding batteries, they said they don't regularly stock them, but could order them for me too, on a when and as needed basis.