Can Do Or Not

egg6447

i have a best cyber connection from tot.it has a two port supply. i want to run two pc's... now ive done it with them next to each other, but i want one to run 50mtrs away. with everything connected my pc runs ok but the one 50mtrs away wont give me internet connection. question is , is it to far away and can i get a service somehow on the pc 50 mtrs away. cheers.

If you using ethernet you can extend your connection upto 100meter if there is no high interference. Make sure wire not passing through some electromagnetic devices or hight tension electric wire. Here is pic of RJ45 connector if you using same connector means you are connecting through ethernet.

rj45xover.jpg

You can test your connection between two computers by pinging each other. How? If don't know ask. I will let you know.

Did you buy the cable with plugs already on or make it yourself?

The pairing of the cores is important, it's not just pin to pin the pairs have to go to the right pins too. Like this (note the green/green-white pair):-

rj45s.gif

Best to get a pre-made patch lead, pretty much guaranteed to work :o

Edited by Crossy

If you using ethernet you can extend your connection upto 100meter if there is no high interference. Make sure wire not passing through some electromagnetic devices or hight tension electric wire. Here is pic of RJ45 connector if you using same connector means you are connecting through ethernet.

rj45xover.jpg

You can test your connection between two computers by pinging each other. How? If don't know ask. I will let you know.

yes please, explain. thank u.

Did you buy the cable with plugs already on or make it yourself?

The pairing of the cores is important, it's not just pin to pin the pairs have to go to the right pins too. Like this (note the green/green-white pair):-

rj45s.gif

Best to get a pre-made patch lead, pretty much guaranteed to work :o

cheers crossy. yes bought the 50 mtr cable made up for me at a it shop

cheers crossy. yes bought the 50 mtr cable made up for me at a it shop

Assuming your cable is correctly wired and tests out (did the shop use a tester to check their handywork?). Do look closely at the plugs using a magnifier if you're old like me. Obviously the colours used don't matter but the pairing connections do!

It's possible that the ethernet ports on the 'modem' don't have the oomph to do the 50m (I've heard reports of this, never seen it myself though). If this is the case you'll need a small ethernet switch to provide ports that are capable of 50m. Not expensive and easy to connect, talk to your IT shop.

Your talking about the cable being pinned correctly yes? Correct me if I'm wrong but this cable should be a crossover cable? Yes? No? Maybe the shop made a normally pinned straight through instead?

Did you try moving the extended PC back close to the modem and using the short cable to see and make sure the PC is working properly?

YES STARTED WITH BOTH PCS NEXT TO EACH OTHER, Sorry about that. used short cables, supplied all lublychubly. bought the 50mtrs and cant get internet. maybe something in the straight through connections as i cant see them will get some young eyes on the job tommorrow. thanks again peeps.

rj45xover.jpg

hi again. i thought this was cat 5 not ethernet??. the colour connections, are they the same both ends or is there a difference one end??? all wires correct but same both ends.

hi again. i thought this was cat 5 not ethernet??. the colour connections, are they the same both ends or is there a difference one end??? all wires correct but same both ends.

For our purposes they are the same thing.

Check your new cable against the one that works, young eyes or magnifier required.

Same both ends is a straight cable.

before blamming the cable, tell us how you setuped the network and how is made the connection, connected to a modem, connected to the second LAN port on the computer.etc etc

just a note for direct pc link, the cable has to be crossovered, if you use a swtich (and not a HUB, difference is important) or a routeur, crossover cable or not has no importance.

i have a best cyber connection from tot.it has a two port supply.

the TOT modem , what is it ? and 2 ports , are they both the same or is 1 a telephone jack and the other an ethernet jack ?

I think you need to explain to us a little more about the setup you have - I suspect you need to purchase a switch.

A "straight through" cable is not what you think and that the pins do not connect 1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc. but one line of the pair is off center - notice the green pair in the photo above. If they are direct 1 to 1 then there will be cross talk interference that gets worse with distance. The longer it is the more chance it will stop working. See below.

post-566-1232886708_thumb.jpg

On a side note. ethernet and CAT5/5e/6 etc are not synonymous in that ethernet is described in the lower abstraction layers while CATx is at the hardware abstraction or physical layer. So usually to be specific one has to use the IEEE term such as IEEE802.3x <suffix letter added for the specific cabling type>, or 10BASEx/100BASEx/1000BASEx or -xx.

hi peeps, like to thank all u good people that contributed. it turns out, having got a thai it guy in, that one or both plugs were incorrect. he remade the ends and alls well. ging or not no idea. still cant see the blody things.lol cheers again