Successful House Built Outside Chiang Mai

PeaceBlondie

We moved in today. It is all new, contractor built,and the building came in under 650K. I love it. First new home I ever had built, and surely my last. About 50 square meters, three rooms, small lot. I will not post photos because I think there is separate thread for that. Thanks to those who posted here over the years. We built using concrete pillars, D-CON bricks, steel roof frame, tiled roof, ceramic tiled floors, etc. Very basic, but I should have it paid off in five years. Just what we need. Hooray.

We moved in today. It is all new, contractor built,and the building came in under 650K. I love it. First new home I ever had built, and surely my last. About 50 square meters, three rooms, small lot. I will not post photos because I think there is separate thread for that. Thanks to those who posted here over the years. We built using concrete pillars, D-CON bricks, steel roof frame, tiled roof, ceramic tiled floors, etc. Very basic, but I should have it paid off in five years. Just what we need. Hooray.

Now wait a minute, slow down... it is quite rare to find farangs on this forum that have built in this price range (most of them say it's "impossible" (i.e. they're embarrassed to admit they overpaid))... so I absolutely must see a pic of this house and/or rough labour/material price list as I'm thinking of building next month for about 400k. There's an older thread of one-room houses built for 100k-200k, so to other posters: don't tell us it can't be done! thanks peaceblondie :o

Congrats PB, enjoy your new house :o

Very Happy for you, nothing like the smell of a new house when you first walk in right?

Can't say that I recall, we built our house 20 years ago for about 100,000 baht :D

And one happy Farang more!

Congrats PB! Have a happy life there...

And yes, it can be done. Some months ago, I met a thai contractor and he explained to me how to grossly quote a average house project on a 100 square meters basis:

1) For a good qualiy built house the quote is about 8000/8500 bahts by sqm "keys in hands",

2) For a very good quality built house the quote is 10000 Bahts/sqm "keys in hands".

No matter one floor or two storeys...

Below 100 sqm, quote increases a little and above 100 sqm, quote decreases a little...

I found it was very useful for quoting a personnal house project. But OK, no golden bath tube or marble walls, hey!..

:o

Cheers to all!

Gobs

• 7 months later...

I just found this old thread I started; it was misleading. We got a bare lot on rice paddy,worth 250K for only 70 talang wah. Chanote 11K. A meter of landfill and driveway over canal 60K. Retaining walls nearly 100K. Air con bedroom 31K. Carport, driveway, utility poles, etc. Not turnkey. Not that cheap. But 8 months later, we're happy.