The Mexican Food In Pattaya Is Not Good

Jingthing

Yeah, the Chinese restaurant scene here is pretty dismal. That is why I was happy to see Canton House open at the new Central Mall, as they do have some good stuff there. Not enough to satisfy a San Franciscan but we take what we can get here.

That said, the dim sum at the Montien Hotel's Marco Polo Chinese Restaurant is excellent (last time I checked).

There is also plenty of Thai Chinese food, which is good food for what it is of course.

OK, here is one theory as to why the Mexican and American food is not good in Pattaya. There aren't enough Americans. Non-Americans won't know the difference and the few Americans that are here have no choice so if they want a fix of something they have to cave in or cook it themselves. Compare to the British places. Brits say there is decent British food here. There are always tons more Brits here. Coincidence? I think not.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the Chinese restaurant scene here is pretty dismal. That is why I was happy to see Canton House open at the new Central Mall, as they do have some good stuff there. Not enough to satisfy a San Franciscan but we take what we can get here.

That said, the dim sum at the Montien Hotel's Marco Polo Chinese Restaurant is excellent (last time I checked).

There is also plenty of Thai Chinese food, which is good food for what it is of course.

OK, here is one theory as to why the Mexican and American food is not good in Pattaya. There aren't enough Americans. Non-Americans won't know the difference and the few Americans that are here have no choice so if they want a fix of something they have to cave in or cook it themselves. Compare to the British places. Brits say there is decent British food here. There are always tons more Brits here. Coincidence? I think not.

I have a simpler theory. Greed and lack of standards. Are there really any more Americans in Phuket

or even Chiang Mai where quality food is often found? By the way it IS possible -though too rare - to find quality American food in Pattaya; the problem is such places (like the one who did a great ceasor salad on Soi welcome) often go out of business. Maggies is still around and the burgers can be pretty good there.

I would prefer to say Western food than American anyways as Brits usually DO know the difference between quality steak and the choice of food in North America is quite eclectic.

I would prefer to say Western food than American anyways as Brits usually DO know the difference between quality steak and the choice of food in North America is quite eclectic.

Excellent point, BJB. I always have to hold back a snicker when people refer to "American" food. Unlike many of the ethnic restaurants in Thailand (and many other countries), most such restaurants in the USA are owned and operated by people from the subject company, or direct decendants of same. Those who haven't been there, and travelled to many parts of the country, have no idea how eclectic everything is our huge country. Boston, New York, Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, Denver, Omaha, Butte, Salt Lake City, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle are all very, very different environments; each with their own twists on "standard" menu items. In fact, within each of those cities, you can go to different restaurants, serving the same general type of food, and find it quite different. It's much like trying to compare "mom's" recipes to others. They're just not the same.

I'm originally from Boston. The seafood there is, to those from that area, better, by far, than what can be found in other "seafood" cities, like Baltimore, New Orleans, and San Francisco. The lobster, "little neck" steamed clams, fried clams, and several cold water fish, can't be matched anywhere! But Boston doesn't have soft shell crab to compare with that of Baltimore; or shrimp to compare with that of New Orleans; or crab to compare with San Francisco. For all of the the 30+ years that I lived in the LA area, I missed Boston's seafood.

As I have said many times, appreciation of the taste, texture, and "quality" of food is so individual that there is never a "right or wrong" about it. Personally, I have now found enough restaurants that serve food to my taste that I place food choices very low on my list of things I miss about the USA. The daily challenges of the infrastructure of this area are much more disturbing to me. I now have a list of about 10 restaurants here on the Darkside that have at least one or two dishes that I truly enjoy. I don't need to compare them to food that I know cannot be duplicated here. As long as it satisfies my taste buds, and fills my ample stomach, I can deal with the fact that it's not Boston seafood, or So Cal Mexican food, or Chicago pizza. But I still can't be at peace with frequent outages of electricity, lack of public water, "bomb cratered" streets, and chaotic, unregulated traffic. Dependability and order in those things is what I miss most about the USA!

Did anybody try Fatboy's Diner at Avenue before it shut its doors? It seemed to have an American menu but the owners picked a terrible location and got stuck with huge rent. Might have been open for a month or two.

I tried Fatboy's once and it wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad. Having said that I only tried one dish and the missus tried one so perhaps not fair to judge based on that. He's now opened up at The Village on Sukhumvit Road.

Did anybody try Fatboy's Diner at Avenue before it shut its doors? It seemed to have an American menu but the owners picked a terrible location and got stuck with huge rent. Might have been open for a month or two.

I tried Fatboy's once and it wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad. Having said that I only tried one dish and the missus tried one so perhaps not fair to judge based on that. He's now opened up at The Village on Sukhumvit Road.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of the new location. I'll try it out in a couple of weeks and let everyone know how it is.

• 2 months later...
Basically, I'm just waiting for that Coyote Mexican place on Convent (another branches near Emporium on Sukhumvit and in Phuket) in Bangkok to open a Pattaya branch. There food is pretty good and authentic IMHO...if a bit pricey. Also, sooner or later I'm sure Sunrise will also open here too.

PS: Tequila Reef is spreading their so-so food to Angeles City...with a branch to open there soon. So like you say, it seems that mediocrity is rewarded in these parts :o

Coyote is no better than Tequila Reef, in fact, I think I'd rather eat at Tequila Reef! None of the Mexican restaurants are good, but I go for the Margheritas anyway.

PS. I usually insist on a side plate of jalapenos, which helps the food go down

I wonder how many authentic Thai restaurants there are in Mexico.

Irrelevant. Indeed probably none that are authentic. There aren't Thai people in Mexico. There are plenty of potential customers for good Mexican food in Thailand. I agree about the salsa issue but am hearing good reports about the Mexico City style salsas at Tacos and Salsa Bangkok. Britmav, what would a Brit know about Mexican food, sorry ...

Lol, brilliant remark, once again Jingting, just gotta love you.

What would an American know about Mexican food? Or do you actually believe as an American you have a clue about how real Mexican food tastes like, or do you believe the watered down versions available in the US, like Taco Bell etc.. represent Mexican cuisine.

Jingting, thx for bringing a smile on my face in the morning :o

MBL

What would an American know about Mexican food?

I have spent many months traveling in Mexico and decades living in Mexican areas of the US so yes I know EXACTLY what Mexican food is supposed to taste like. There are many millions of Mexicans living in the US and they have brought their food culture along with them, open to anyone who wishes to enjoy it with them.

If you knew anything about me which you could easily know by reading my posts, except your twisted sport of insulting me, you would know I am not a "Taco Bell" kind of American. Over the years due to the rapid Latinization (sic) of USA, there are indeed now tens of millions of Americans who have the sophisticated appreciation of Mexican food that I do, but yes there always will also still be a big market for crap food like Taco Bell.

Also FYI: not all real Mexican food is spicy and/or hot, but personally my favorites are mostly the spicy hot dishes.

That said, some of the native American variations of Mexican food such as the San Francisco Mission District style burrito which is not found in Mexico, is dam_n good world class food.

Edited by Jingthing

What would an American know about Mexican food? Or do you actually believe as an American you have a clue about how real Mexican food tastes like, or do you believe the watered down versions available in the US, like Taco Bell etc.. represent Mexican cuisine.

There is lots of good Mexican food in the US - especially around the border.

Anyone who thinks that Taco Bell has anything to do with Mixican food is obviously clueless. :o

Anyone who thinks that Taco Bell has anything to do with Mixican food is obviously clueless. :o

Agreed of course, but not only at the borders. The best Mexico City style salsa I ever had in the US was in ATLANTA.

when the wife and i want Mexican, Mike's is the only place we'll go. waiting to see where he moves to. however, when we want the best mexican food, we make it ourselves. you can get chorizo here, so that's half the battle for getting something besides a burrito or quesadilla :o

Agreed of course, but not only at the borders. The best Mexico City style salsa I ever had in the US was in ATLANTA.

Yes, I understand that there is good Mexican food all over the U.S. now (there wasn't when I came here 20 years ago). San Francisco has great Mexican food and is pretty far from the border, so that blows that theory. :D

I have to agree that there is no good American food in Pattaya.

Maybe there's not enough American ex-pats in Pattaya to support some American cuisine.

I think that's the key. I think some of the best "American" style diner food in Asia is found in Angeles City, Philippines. That's because there is a long historical association of Angeles/Philippines with Americans. Therefore, there is a very large contingent of American visitors and residents to patronize places like Margarita Station, Mos, Cottage Kitchen, and others.

One of my favorite reasons to visit Angeles is to gorge myself on this American type food for a week or so...then it's back to Thai, crappy British, and effeminate Euro cuisines in Pattaya :o .

Where is Mike's?

Never mind, I found a map. Google is your friend and I'm an idiot.

http://www.mikes.happyhost.org/contact.html

never noticed it before and I walk to the big buddha at least once each time i am in pattaya. Having spent 12 years in Southern California, and sampled Tequila Reef many times, I shall make it a point to visit Mikes next trip.

If Thais from Lamphun can have a great Thai food place in east Houston, and make the best hamburgers in southwest Houston in the Asian barrio, then it should be possible to have good Mexican or Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex food in Thailand. And Mexico City probably has good examples of every single food genre on the planet.

Indeed, American food is eclectic. You might not find meat loaf in San Antonio, but you can get it at Uncle Sam's in Chiang Mai, and get enchiladas in several places in Chiang Mai. Sorry about Pattaya.

I grew up in Southern California so I know good Mexican food when I eat it. I'm not a Brit so I don't comment on Fish and Chips. That said, I think that there are NO excellent Mexican restaurants in all of Thailand. I've not been to the place in C Mai as the commute for a meal seems a bit far, don't you agree? In and around Pattaya I've found that Mikes Mexican, located on the road that connects Pattaya with Jomtien, it fairly good. However, I think their salsa (sauce) is weak and tasteless. Still, it's the best place around here. Solution: Buy a bottle of Howies Salsa at Foodland and take it with you. We've done that and been quite happy. As for Big Als, I did have a brrito there once. It was good, but the place is small, menu quite limited, and I don't like their setup regarding cleanliness. Just my humble opinion!

I can not understand why everytime there is a discussion about American and now Mexican style foods that some stupid jerk has to bring up Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Mc Donalds, Burger King or whatever fast food. They are just fast food versions and usually do not present themselves as or try to be the original. Some items are tasty and some are not. The point is that they are in a seperate class unto themselves. Why are some people so clueless? There are so many really good restaurants in the US but uneducated predujice prevents some people from opening their minds.

California has great burritos, tacos and other dishes. Mexican Americans make some dishes much tastier than the Mexican originals. Agree about the SF Mission District and they have both the Mexican and Mexican American dishes. After all there are more than 100,000 Mexican in and near SF. It should be called perhaps Northern and Southern varieties. Actually

For the uneducated, California has just about every kind of available and it is made by and for the people from the associated regions. Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Indian and now Middle East are all available everywhere. Italian has become so interated into America and it has changed in some ways and created its own style. The tomato sauce, sausage and pepperoni are tastier than "original real" Italian. But hey, food in Bangkok has different styles from Chiang Mai, Phuket and Udorn. Northern Italy-Southern Italy-different, maybe not better or worse-get the point.

Mike's has acceptable food, considering that this is Thailand. It certainly could be better but when you just gotta have a burrito, it will do. Raw cabbage just does not belong on a burrito or Mexican plate. Chopped carrots are just wrong in a fresh salsa. Just tell them to leave it out.

Bob's BBQ has a good hamburger FOR Pattaya. A fresh Burger King Whopper is tasty fast food alternative and certainly not the same kind of burger (but it is not trying to be the same).

I am getting sick and tired about all that crap where is the best Mexican food or Italian food or what ever it is you are in Thailand don't forget if you like good Mexican food book a ticket to Mexcico or what ever food you like but I guess all you expats are the same. Complaining about the devaluation about your currancy might it be $ or pounds. Why not try to live like every body here in Thailand.

I can not understand why everytime there is a discussion about American and now Mexican style foods that some stupid jerk has to bring up Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Mc Donalds, Burger King or whatever fast food. They are just fast food versions and usually do not present themselves as or try to be the original. Some items are tasty and some are not. The point is that they are in a seperate class unto themselves. Why are some people so clueless? There are so many really good restaurants in the US but uneducated predujice prevents some people from opening their minds.

California has great burritos, tacos and other dishes. Mexican Americans make some dishes much tastier than the Mexican originals. Agree about the SF Mission District and they have both the Mexican and Mexican American dishes. After all there are more than 100,000 Mexican in and near SF. It should be called perhaps Northern and Southern varieties. Actually

For the uneducated, California has just about every kind of available and it is made by and for the people from the associated regions. Vietnamese, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, Indian and now Middle East are all available everywhere. Italian has become so interated into America and it has changed in some ways and created its own style. The tomato sauce, sausage and pepperoni are tastier than "original real" Italian. But hey, food in Bangkok has different styles from Chiang Mai, Phuket and Udorn. Northern Italy-Southern Italy-different, maybe not better or worse-get the point.

Mike's has acceptable food, considering that this is Thailand. It certainly could be better but when you just gotta have a burrito, it will do. Raw cabbage just does not belong on a burrito or Mexican plate. Chopped carrots are just wrong in a fresh salsa. Just tell them to leave it out.

Bob's BBQ has a good hamburger FOR Pattaya. A fresh Burger King Whopper is tasty fast food alternative and certainly not the same kind of burger (but it is not trying to be the same).

From the "stupid jerk" JR Texas: People talk about Taco Bell, not because it is great food, but because it is better than what most people are selling in Thailand as "Mexican food."

The Taco Bell reference is another way of saying the Mexican food being served in Thailand is not good. I agree, it is not good and it is way overpriced in most places.

Taco Bell will come here and sell a bean and cheese burrito for 40-60 baht, not 290 baht.

Note that what I just said does not apply to two places I have not yet eaten at: T&S in Bangkok and Miguels in Chiang Mai, both of which might be making some decent Mexican food.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried Mikes last night, apart from being in a plastic cocoon to shelter from the dust from the ever ongoing road works, the food was great with massive portions.

The bike had about a inch of dust over it at the time to leave, will they ever finish the road?

Their range of Tequila is good too with the top end at 1300 baht a shot.