Red-shirted People Raid Santi Asoke Branch In Chiang Mai

Guest Reimar

Red-shirted people raid Santi Asoke branch in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai - Some 150 red-shirted supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra raided the Chiang Mai branch of Santi Asoke Buddhist sect to hunt for Chamlong Srimuang.

They raided the Phupha Nam Fah Monastery at 1 pm.

They stormed through a police barricade, which was formed 20 metre before the monastery's entrance.

Some 100 elderly people, women, children and Santi Asoke monks gathered at a pavilion and remained in silence during the raid by the angry protesters.

Some monks were standing still and the lay flowers were sitting in meditation without responding the shouts and aggressive acts of the protesters.

Some protesters hit some monks at their shoulders with "feet clappers".

The protesters raided the place following rumours that Chamlong Srimuang, a co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, visited the monastery Thursday night.

They dispersed nearly an hour later after searching through the place and did not find Chamlong.

The Nation

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even though Santi Asoke is not part of the Thai Buddhist Sangha, all religions are protected here, particularly Buddhism.

Yet again the Red's step over the line but this type of offense can land them in jail for a LONG time!

Red-shirted people raid Santi Asoke branch in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai - Some 150 red-shirted supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra raided the Chiang Mai branch of Santi Asoke Buddhist sect to hunt for Chamlong Srimuang.

They raided the Phupha Nam Fah Monastery at 1 pm.

They stormed through a police barricade, which was formed 20 metre before the monastery's entrance.

Some 100 elderly people, women, children and Santi Asoke monks gathered at a pavilion and remained in silence during the raid by the angry protesters.

Some monks were standing still and the lay flowers were sitting in meditation without responding the shouts and aggressive acts of the protesters.

Some protesters hit some monks at their shoulders with "feet clappers".

The protesters raided the place following rumours that Chamlong Srimuang, a co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, visited the monastery Thursday night.

They dispersed nearly an hour later after searching through the place and did not find Chamlong.

The Nation

"Hunting" for Chamlong - Hitting monks with Foot clappers. The red shirts are officially a non-entity now. No better way to piss off the silent mass majority of Thais then to start disrespecting monks. The end is near, thank god.

jbowman/josky

I don't think MOST Thais are too well versed in the Santi Asoke movement but in many instances the government has not been too kind to them. (They are a strict vegetarian movement that ordains female monks and is led by a controversial leader .. they are not a part of the Thai sangha and their dogma is not strictly orthodox though they certainly present it as such.) They are an interesting group, I have studied at Pathom Asoke for a weekend retreat and found them very interesting!

jbowman/josky

I don't think MOST Thais are too well versed in the Santi Asoke movement but in many instances the government has not been too kind to them. (They are a strict vegetarian movement that ordains female monks and is led by a controversial leader .. they are not a part of the Thai sangha and their dogma is not strictly orthodox though they certainly present it as such.) They are an interesting group, I have studied at Pathom Asoke for a weekend retreat and found them very interesting!

Thanks for the info JD! I learned something new there as well. I agree that most Thais probably don't know much about the movment. All they'll hear and see is "redshirts are hitting monks with foot clappers", which is why its safe to say, the end is near for that movement.

Edited by jbowman1993

Strange, as the rumours going around today were that Suthep was coming to Chiang Mai - didn't hear any about Chamlong.

About 3pm there was a large group of red shirts at CM Airport waiting for him to come.

So it must have been another group at Santi Asoke as they couldn't hoof it back from Mae Taeng in time to get to the airport.

Funny its not reported elsewhere say in a unbiased publication such as BKK Post. Well prob round the clock coverage on ASTV, but we know they are full sh*te. :D

I guess when it is printed in another source you'll accuse that of being biased too, or think up some other excuse to defend the indefensible actions of the loutish followers of your Toxic hero. Unfrotunate really, but not surprising once people dig themselves into deep, dark trenches. :o

And remember BM, it is you that have claimed Bangkok Post is "unbiased", should they run the story a bit slower than The Nation. :D

Chiang Mai - Some 150 red-shirted supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra raided the Chiang Mai branch of Santi Asoke Buddhist sect to hunt for Chamlong Srimuang. They raided the Phupha Nam Fah Monastery at 1 pm. They stormed through a police barricade, which was formed 20 metre before the monastery's entrance.
Strange, as the rumours going around today were that Suthep was coming to Chiang Mai - didn't hear any about Chamlong.

About 3pm there was a large group of red shirts at CM Airport waiting for him to come.

So it must have been another group at Santi Asoke as they couldn't hoof it back from Mae Taeng in time to get to the airport.

I would recommend OP (and others) to investigate just a tiny bit before copying rumors from some other online site known to go ahead for "half winds". That one did have serious implications (if true) to a lot of people living in Thailand!

Funny its not reported elsewhere say in a unbiased publication such as BKK Post. Well prob round the clock coverage on ASTV, but we know they are full sh*te. :o

Television coverage on Channels 3, 5, and 7 showing red-shirts yelling and gesturing at monks and destroying temple property.

But then again, generally one needs to be in Thailand to view these channels. :D

I saw those red shirt people at the chiangmai airport entrance around 4pm ... not very many of them (50 at most) and they looked pathetic (just like the yellow do look as well)... my 16 yo daughter mentionned the word 'freeky'!! ... hopefully the movement is dying down (even though some groupuscule might hang around for a while). Time now to look forward !

I saw those red shirt people at the chiangmai airport entrance around 4pm ... not very many of them (50 at most) and they looked pathetic (just like the yellow do look as well)... my 16 yo daughter mentionned the word 'freeky'!! ... hopefully the movement is dying down (even though some groupuscule might hang around for a while). Time now to look forward !

I think they'll be around Chiangmai for a while, even if they fizzle out elsewhere. CM the home town of the hero and all. They're quite vicious up there - not like the bedraggled souls we see in the capital. Perhaps the feeble were sent to the airport while the bruisers did the job at the Santi Ashoke site.

... hopefully the movement is dying down (even though some groupuscule might hang around for a while). Time now to look forward !

*there are hangers-on*...

30094105-01.jpg

Red-shirts confront police in Roi Et yesterday.

The Nation

330.jpg

Former PPP MP and current PTP MP Sakda Khongpetch

15.jpg

Former PPP MP and current PTP MP Kitti Somsab

285.jpg

Former PPP MP and current PTP MP Warawong Phansila

Red-shirts take over PAD rally site

Some 2,000 red-shirt supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday stormed through a security cordon of nearly 1,000 police officers to seize the stage of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) demonstrators.

The PAD's Roi Et chapter had earlier announced a speech event, from 6pm yesterday, at Suan Somdet Phra Sinakarin Park. The red-shirts submitted a written objection on Friday to the Roi Et governor to stop the event.

The red-shirts were led by former People Power Party MP Nisit Sinthuprai and Pheu Thai Party MPs Sakda Khongpetch, Kitti Somsab, and Warawong Phansila.

At 3pm yesterday some 2,000 red-shirts stormed through the police security cordon at the park and managed to seize the stage.

This forced some 30 PAD supporters, who were preparing for the event, to remove signs, musical instruments and the whole stage in fear for their safety.

The red-shirts also used a mobile platform to launch verbal attacks on the PAD and warned them against organising any stage event in Roi Et at peril of learning "a hard lesson".

- The Nation / 2009-01-25

Edited by sriracha john

Former army General Chamlong shouldn't hide behind his supporters, whether they be monks or old ladies.

One can picture him peeping out from under a refractory table, quivering with fear, "Don't tell the red shirts and the Nation that i'm under here".

In the meantime, as usual, his frontline cannon fodder supporters are taking the punishment - in this case a foot clapper beating.

If his case is as strong as he says it if, and if Kwanchai is such a lummox, ho should have no trouble defeating either him or Thaksin in public debate.

<edit: that should be a 'refrectory' table>

Edited by Journalist