Living On A Houseboat ? Anyone Doing It?

THAIPHUKET

Instead of renting / buying / building a house with no sound legal basis of ownership plus not wanting to commit myself to one location only I have been dreaming of a houseboat a long time ago.

Dropping anchor or moving on wherever it pleases.

Can anyone give some substance to my thinking?

1. Pros & cons

2. legal issues

3. where to rent one for a month or so ?

Happy to hear from you .

• Like 1

I haven't seen houseboats here in Thailand, aside from the ones regular people are living on in the small dirty rivers in bangkok. But i'd be interested in knowing too if there are houseboats, preferably luxury ones you can rent in Thailand as that would be super chill...

I have seen boats with sleeping quarters on board for rent down in Pattaya if your interested in something like that...

That's a good idea, except you'd have to accept never having a lawn or much space to play in. Other thing I would worry about is sea-sickness if it's rough out. Legally, I assume it would all be just contracts with the marinas and dockowners, who would still own the water below your boat or at least the dock. But contracts are enforceable just as much as any real estate sale so you'd be safe. You'd be limited to the south and Chao Praya, I don't think it would be possible to get on the Mekong in Isaan without portaging up rapids in Laos.

Is it true farang can buy a house that sits on stilts on the river?....is anyone doing this?...are there any nice ones out there?

International waters don't begin until dozens of kilometers off shore, so I doubt any farang has been able to avoid thai ownership laws out in a river. like in the Mekong, both countries own to the 'deepest part of the channel.' It's weird, cuz the difference between stilts and a houseboat isn't very much, but the house boat ends up being what the farang can own in fee simple absolute (100%).

Living on a houseboat is not as easy as it sounds. If you are inland, there is a major issue of the water level going up and down drastically during the rainy season (floods) and the dry season. Salt water causes maintenance problems with corrosion and fresh water supply. In either case, there are issues with electricity and sewage. If you have a spot at a full service marina, the charges will cost you as much or more than condo rent.

It would seem like you could lease a piece of land bordering the water without to much cost or hassel, would not have to be very large. You could put in a simple septic system and a shed for keeping your bike or car, and a bit of space to store crap you don't know what to do with.

Although if you could find a marina it would be much simpler and most likely safer.

Let us know how it goes.

Instead of renting / buying / building a house with no sound legal basis of ownership plus not wanting to commit myself to one location only I have been dreaming of a houseboat a long time ago.

Dropping anchor or moving on wherever it pleases.

Can anyone give some substance to my thinking?

1. Pros & cons

I don't think a boat will increase in value like a propety on solid ground,.. so it is not a very wise investment.

Mooring fees is a big consideration, and where?

I have heard - Regarding maintenance - you will quickly learn or run out of money fast!

On the plus side if they have all this global warming, rising sea levels thing right,.. you will be laughing as our homes flood!! :o

Good luck.

Edited by teacup

Is it legal to live on a boat?

I Australia it is not. It could be a 20 mil $ vessel but it is illegal to live on it - i.e - that address can not be used for any document or anything + sanitation laws. How woud someone without a fixed address pay taxes? If there are ways, they are certainly not tailored for boat people.

Another reasons could be, to prevent tens of thousands of boat people flocking the shores - like they did from Vietnam into Hong Kong 30 years ago and HKG authorities had to use remorkers to round them up and drag them 60 km into the open sea.

Is it true farang can buy a house that sits on stilts on the river?....is anyone doing this?...are there any nice ones out there?

There is a place on Koh Chang....

But I understand that the properties are classed as "fisherman's" somethings, and would expect the title document not to be full chanote. There is a small point that all rivers are 'owned' by the government - so at least you will be paying rent for the pilling.

• Like 1

I was thinking of Amsterdam or part of the Netherlands where houseboats are very common in all sizes.

Kanchanaburi e.g. may be good place.

Keeping the houseboat here and there for a while, drifting away, changing scenery.

At the coast is an option too, must think about it if the concept is viable.

Never forgetting TIT, but i guess to write off a houseboat is less costly and more fun then a static house.

I know a Brit who lives on a floating cottage on a dammed lake in Chiang Mai and they rent half of the place to tourists - one the nicest places I have ever visited... however, he is married to a Thai lady... sorry, that kind of clears up the 'foreign ownership' issues doesn't it? It is very nice though :o

I lived on a boat for a year in the UK, spent 10 months of that year cruising around the UK's extensive waterway network, probably the best year of my life (although the fact I was cash rich at the time and didn't need to work helped also).

But I remember when I first decided to buy a boat, a friend of mine who had a yacht down on the south coast somewhere told me these exact words.

"Are you really sure about this? Because once you buy a boat it's like having a hole in the water that you have to continuously keep trying to fill up by throwing money into it".

He was not wrong, and I can't imagine a house boat is any different. Maintenance is not optional and we are not talking about a quick coat of paint every few years like a normal house.

• Like 1

I lived on a boat for a year in the UK, spent 10 months of that year cruising around the UK's extensive waterway network, probably the best year of my life (although the fact I was cash rich at the time and didn't need to work helped also).

But I remember when I first decided to buy a boat, a friend of mine who had a yacht down on the south coast somewhere told me these exact words.

"Are you really sure about this? Because once you buy a boat it's like having a hole in the water that you have to continuously keep trying to fill up by throwing money into it".

He was not wrong, and I can't imagine a house boat is any different. Maintenance is not optional and we are not talking about a quick coat of paint every few years like a normal house.

Boats are very expensive to maintain. There's an old saying that goes 'If it flies, floats or f***s, RENT IT!'

Two years ago in Sangkhla Buri NW of Kanchanaburi, I saw house boats on the large reservoir there. Most were occupied by Thai/Burmese with some rentals. There are foreigners running guest houses in the immediate area who may have more info. Beautiful scenery with terrific driving.

Thailand has a shortage of marinas, and it is a pitty. That said, slips are very expensive.

Down in the bayous of SE Tx and Lousiana I would see floating trash heeps/barges/houses while fishing for bass and bow fishing for gar. The owners were obviously "in-breds" living of the radar. I would find them deep in the swamps & they usually looked like part of the land scape. Pretty creepy

International waters don't begin until dozens of kilometers off shore, so I doubt any farang has been able to avoid thai ownership laws out in a river. like in the Mekong, both countries own to the 'deepest part of the channel.' It's weird, cuz the difference between stilts and a houseboat isn't very much, but the house boat ends up being what the farang can own in fee simple absolute (100%).

Even though it is not legally recognized anywhere, most countries claim a territorial limit out to 12 Nautical Miles from their base line, and a 200 nm economical zone (from their base line), which means anything that can generate values within these limits are regulated (taxed, etc).

In regards to stilts and boats, there is a difference, in most most countries. Especially for tax regulations.

Our members here that work in the oil industry might know this, as it is a difference between a movable or fixed installed oil/gas platform.

Some countries even look at smaller local ferries as sea going buses. Again, for various tax reasons (for companies and crew).

Having a boat, owned or rented, the immigration issues can be a real hazzle, as one must have a clearence from the immigration each time one enters, and leaving the territorial limits. This can be expencive, since the Immigrations Officers that take care of shipping normally board the vessels (nomatter size of the vessel). The expences will be paid by the boat owner (operator).

A boat can be used for illegal activities (smuggling, etc), so the authorithies are very aware of this.

Anyone have any idea what it would cost to build a houseboat in LOS.

There is a small village right next to our condo where they build boats. Seem to do a reasonable good job of it and I can't immagine it being expensive.

When the boat is finished the whole village get together and push it out to sea. Interesting to watch.

Have no idea how complex a houseboat is compared to a fishing boat.

• 10 months later...
...But I remember when I first decided to buy a boat, a friend of mine who had a yacht down on the south coast somewhere told me these exact words.

Once a prince told me: Owning a yacht ( and I also can't imagine a house boat would be any different...) is as expensive as a full blown Coke addiction... he did knew his stuff for sure.

CB

I knew a man, quite a few years ago now, who lived on a boat that he had moored on the river in Saigon. After the Vietnam war he sailed it to Phuket, kept it for several years there, then sold it. Last time I heard from him he was living in Phuket...but that was about 1982 or so.

Con:

Boats, even houseboats, require constant maintenance. It's not an option, it's required. Living on the water means you have to be constantly on guard against mold, corrosion, water damage, etc. You will be constantly keeping things watertight. You will find it a lot of work to maintain.

Pro:

You can sail it away when you feel like it.

Con:

You will need a license for the boat. Even if you just keep it moored somewhere. (it's considered a form of transportaion) And that will require paying the taxes involved. You will also require it to be certified as seaworthy if you intend to sail it. Expect fees and paperwork involved in the process. In order to get it seaworthy you will need a mechanic to certify the engine.

Comment: My friend had a 34 foot motor-sail boat. He had it built in Hong Kong about 1970. It cost him about $50,000 (he paid in cash) at that time. I would bet that the cost would be at least double that price today. Maybe more.

The saying is that, "A house is a hole in the ground you keep putting money into". A boat is the same thing, except it's not a hole in the ground, it's a hole in the water you drop money into.

• Like 1

Please folks - I've been a boat owner for decades - I don't need lessons in seamanship or boat maintenance (not here anyway) - I suspect some of you don't really understand fully what a houseboat is.

If you know where I could find one though, or a barge to convert I'd be very grateful.

Funny, I have raised this issue here before (maybe some 2 years ago). With practically no response. Times must have changed!

- Maintainance: Only go with Fiberglass (if you will, some sort of "Plastic-Hull"). Will cut down on maintenance dramtically. Avoid wood or steel hulls.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- BUT I HAVE A MUCH BETTER "RESIDENCE IDEA FOR FARANGS IN THAILAND": Since those things are not (yet) built in Thailand = Import a double - wide MOBILE HOME from the U.S. Then put it up on your Thai Wifes (GF) Land. Have the Mobile Home registered in your name. I think can do, like you can own a car.

Positive: If your Thai-Wife decides she don't love you anymore: Let the Thai-Wife (GF) keep her precious Isaan-Land and you move YOUR property (the Mobile Home) 2 miles down the road to your new "precious-one".

This way, a lot of future financial damage to farangs could be avoided.

Negative: You would have to have Insurance that covers "ARSEN". Because at the slightest hint, that you may be pulling out shortly, your female companion may want to arrange for some fireworks arond the property, with the main victim being your Mobile Home.

Well, life is not easy, not even in Thailand. All in good fun, Cheers.