Don Mueang Airport Will Reloacate To Suvarnabhumi On March 29, 2009

george

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people runnng the aviation show here are probably the biggest bunch of idiots in the history of aviation! Why can't they have two airports like other big cities? But his is what probably comes from rote learning, repetition without the ability to think :o

The idiots are those who run to places and spend the money for two places (operation and maintenance costs) while they know that one place could handle it and safe a lot of money.

Given that you are so intelligent, you certainly have the numbers available, so why not indulge us into the real mathematics showing that Bangkok needs two airports, and can afford them.

Looking forward to your figures, idiot.

From a practical, foreign visitor point of view it is the right decision.

"whining perpetuated on TV."

I know you are not a "senior member" ,whatever that means. Good choice of sentiment though. Getting pretty tired of the stupidity and whining here, used to be quite informative. And yes you can have an opinion without having 500+ posts , the number of posts should not even be displayed like it is a badge of honour. TV is getting like the CB radio was in the seventies, alot of talk but no substance

Let Don Muang die a peaceful death, it served us well but it is done. After all the librettos of Swampy I must admit that it is a functional place with uncrowded areas and impressive, with somewhat overambitious, architecture. It seemed that Don Muang was a quicker shot by taxi to the city center but the Swampy ride is acceptable. Although I don't use the bus terminal it is hard to quibble that it is not useful and the Sky Train will complete the picture. Compared to an embarassment like LAX, Thais can hold their heads high--not a problem for Thais anyway. :o

I always enjoyed arriving at DM International and after clearing imigration and customs taking my wobbly baggage cart up to the second floor and along the footbridge to the Domestic Terminal. Don Muang had an atmosphere, a chaotic and mad hustle and bustle that you kind of expect from Asia. I was never a big fan of swampy, grandiose as it may look and purport to be it smacks of the Emirates and those other big gateways to other places that you are just passing through. As a destination airport it lacks character, it doesn't say 'welcome to Thailand' with all its warts and all .... it says 'see this fantastic and modern architecturally designed state of the art airport, well you're gonna be disappointed when you get outside'

I for one will miss DM. :o

Wow, so many naysayers here. I think from a business standpoint, this makes a whole lot of sense. Swampy is certainly a busy hub, but I don't see it as being overcrowded. DM, on the other hand is a virtual ghost town most of the time. DM is a huge facility, and I'm sure the maintenance and upkeep of passenger facilities for what was once a large international hub for just a handful of domestic flights per day is a huge expense.

I'm sure domestic flights will be more of a pain now, because you can't just walk through an empty airport with no lines! I will miss that too! But I don't think they are stupid for this move, it will probably be quite a cost savigs in the long-run (after all the pockets get lined in the transition).

I don't mind the concept of 2 airports. Both of Bangkok's have been good to us in the past. We've had to connect stuff like this before and in all other cases I can remember it was obvious and if you asked how you got a nice easy response. We'll be landing in swampy this February late at night and for the first time will have to transfer to DM to make our connector to Hat Yai early the next morning (all Thai Airways). Just to be prepared I did the usual google search on how to transfer from Suvarnabhumi to to Don Muang. It sure makes for some interesting reading! :D Whispered rumours of a TG shuttle, pages and pages of how to make sure you don't get ripped off by the taxis, fake buses that will dump you off the beated track etc. Its not the end of the world and we'll just make it into an adventure. However it'd be much nicer if there was a no-brainer connection between the 2. I imagine the taxi thing is no big deal but based on the number of negative posts there's got to be something there as you just don't see the same volume of negativity when searching on different connection transfers.

I sure got excited when I saw the announcement of all flights going back to Swampy as it would completely eliminate this added complexity to our trip. Unfortunately we just miss the window. Next time we'll be happy to not have to deal with the transfer.

Cheers,

Paul

P.S.

Gizza job - I can do that - gizza job

Your hired yozzer! :o

I have no real regrets about this. Suwannapoom is a much nicer airport. The only thing that I feel for Don Meuang is a sense of nostalgia, because it's where I arrived in Bangkok the first times that I visited Thailand. I'll always remember the big "Sawasdee" sign over the arrivals hall.

What on earth is the advantage with two airports? It's a waste of time for the passengers and time and money for the airlines.

Have you ever had the "privilege" of arriving with an international flight at Suvarnabhumi to be transferred to Don Muang for your inland flight to Chiang Mai or wherever? Not only does it take extra time, but you have to calculate more than you need in case of traffic jams etc.

Totally agree arrive at swampy connect to donmuang to travel country rediculous

Unlike say, arriving at Tokyo-Narita from abroad and having to transfer to Haneda for a domestic flight?

I'm a bit confused: are you actually saying that having to travel from Narita to Haneda is a good thing? I've been forced to do so only 3 times, but every time my (American) travel agent has woefully underestimated the transit time, causing missed flights & in one case an unplanned overnight stay. After that, I learned: if going domestic in Japan, fly into Incheon or Kansai. Furthermore, the international-domestic split makes sense in Japan because a decent percentage of the domestic flights are populated by Japanese, I'd wager that the majority of passengers on domestic flights in Thailand are farang, many of them transfers from arriving international flights...

Not a very sensible strategy, IMHO. Most big cities have 2 or 3 airports serving them. Why would Bangkok – if it believes that it can become the major regional hub – want to get by with just one? Changi serves Singapore very well, but Singapore is a small place, relatively speaking. So the plan is to spend 100 billion Baht on Swampy phase 2 instead of maybe a few billion Baht upgrading Don Mueang. Of course, the percentage of that 100 billion Baht (or whatever the number is) that will end up in corrupt politicians’ and administrators’ pockets (compared with virtually zero baksheesh from keeping Don Mueang going) will definitely not have swayed this decision. :rolleyes:
Edited by marios

That is part of the stupdity in the first place that they never developed a link between the two airports when there is a railway station right by Don Muang. As I said one of the biggest bunch of idiots in aviation planning history.

Hold on, Heathrow and Gatwick both have railheads, the latter right underneath the airport and you STILL can't take the train between them. Your award for politics versus common sense should rightfully stay with Gordon Brown and Labour for their blind approval of a Heathrow expansion. Now THERE'S a clusterf*ck of an airport for you!

Other major cities have multiple airports because of similar lack of planning and forethought by successive administrations. Having several airports isn't necessarily a status symbol.

Regards the OP, Bangkok only needs ONE airport and it's Suvarnabhumi, end of! Sure it's a gravy train for whatever colour of shirt is flavour of the month in the city but that's not a uniquely Thai problem. With regards to a comment about their being less 'vested interests' involved with keeping a commercial operation at Don Muang; this assumes that the military are above politics and graft. This IS Thailand you are talking about here isn't it?

The people runnng the aviation show here are probably the biggest bunch of idiots in the history of aviation! Why can't they have two airports like other big cities? But his is what probably comes from rote learning, repetition without the ability to think :o

What on earth is the advantage with two airports? It's a waste of time for the passengers and time and money for the airlines.

Have you ever had the "privilege" of arriving with an international flight at Suvarnabhumi to be transferred to Don Muang for your inland flight to Chiang Mai or wherever? Not only does it take extra time, but you have to calculate more than you need in case of traffic jams etc.

Totally agree arrive at swampy connect to donmuang to travel country rediculous

That is part of the stupdity in the first place that they never developed a link between the two airports when there is a railway station right by Don Muang. As I said one of the biggest bunch of idiots in aviation planning history.

comparing swampy with DM how stupid is that , of coarse DM has more history because of the time it has been there and a lot of old travelers are used to it . But i think give it time Suwannapoom will ok , i must say i get around swampy a lot better than DM .

The idiots are those who run to places and spend the money for two places (operation and maintenance costs) while they know that one place could handle it and safe a lot of money.

Given that you are so intelligent, you certainly have the numbers available, so why not indulge us into the real mathematics showing that Bangkok needs two airports, and can afford them.

Looking forward to your figures, idiot.

I am sure IDIOT if you so clever you can work them out yourself

Wow, you guys are really going at it :o

In Chicago there are two airports and there is no link between them at all. You just book thru whichever fits your plan and schedule. I do agree that one airport is better for traveler but usually the limit of airport is reached when it has no room to expand because of all surrounding properties. Suvarnabhumi airport does not have this problem and i see it only as a benefit for it to be the only one. I know that there are people who live far away from new airport, but honestly, how often do you have to go there?

regards, Bartek.

Biggest loser will be AIR ASIA.

I for one would like to use, 1 - 2 GO, but no way am I traipsing across country at extra expense to Don Muang.

Free peanuts and a drink, . .......hahaha.

I use AIR ASIA extensively, but 1 2 GO has all inc fares advertised, no hidden charges, yes, that is why I will love to see all flites from Swampy, I love Swampy never a hassle since it opened.

I think having 2 airports was fine if they were used similarly to some of the examples listed here such as Heathrow, Gatwick and may I add Stansted and Luton.

These airports have both domestic AND international flights. Luton and Stansted are certainly good for low cost airlines such as Ryan Air and Easyjet.

If Luton were to become just domestic UK flights and Stansted just international flights. then the folly of the Don Mueng/Suwarniboom setup is quite apparent.

Having to get a taxi to another airport to fly internationally seemed an idea doomed to failure when it was suggested.

So keep Don Mueng only if it will operate both international AND domestic flights.

I would also encourage more use of Pattaya Airport, which is just used by Bangkok Airlines and a few Russian International carriers at the moment.

Too bad. I really loved the Don Mueang airport, will this relocation means the the property around the Don Mueng area is going down?

Would make a super bus terminus,no shortage of parking and completion of the rail link would be the icing on the cake. Then again it probaby will be another shopping centre which Bangkok really needs.

Why not turn Don Mueang into a regional Duty Free Shopping Centre with low cost flights from regional countries and the airport buildings turned into shopping arcades, amusement parks and hotels. There is already a golf course.

I am sure with a bit of imaginative thinking they could create a major source of foreign exchange and employment.

As far as Don Mueang keeping domestic traffic - have you seen how many flights there are? Definitely not enough to justify a second airport. Singapore and Hong Kong are also single airport cities - because there is no domestic travel. Cities with 2 airports also have a much larger domestic travel market (like Shanghai, Seoul, Taipei etc).

To re open DM was a political decision, to please the army. DM was one of their best cash cows. Actually they were even willing to close the new airport to go back to DM, the airlines had to band together and say it’s not going to happen to stop them.

To close DM is an economical decision. T A is bankrupt and can’t afford to run operation from two airports simultaneously.

Edited by Pierrot

To re open DM was a political decision, to please the army. DM was one of their best cash cows. Actually they were even willing to close the new airport to go back to DM, the airlines had to band together and say it’s not going to happen to stop them.

To close DM is an economical decision. T A is bankrupt and can’t afford to run operation from two airports simultaneously.

It is Thaksin pride to open Swampy.

The Army cannot take it. Once they are in power after the coup, they order THAI, Nok & 1-2-Go to go back. AirAsia (being ex-Thaksin's is the only that is smart enough to say no to the order.

See what happens now? After loosing billions on inefficient operation, THAI have finally so no to the Army, and wanted to go back. I hope THAI shareholder sue the CEO for making decision bases on army order rather than share holders benefits. This just show hoe STUPID THAI management are. Would I fly them? No (this is just a personal preference).

A stupid question if i may!

But does this mean that most people will loose their jobs? so say 500-1000 people will be out of work? or will they give them new jobs?

Is this being done because of the drop in tourism and just like most other company's worldwide AOT is restructuring to save money?

If it is due to drop in profits then may be the government can use the $100 billion that they have in reserves to keep people employed rather then use the money to keep the baht strong.

here here!

Do they not realise that the drop in tourism and spending from the rest of the world might be due to the fact that they are keeping the baht strong so its not such a good deal coming here anymore. Noone buying property, noone buying goods from Thailand, all expats reducing their spending. Get the baht back to 60+ to GBP and watch the spending increase again. Da!

:o

So presumably, this news means an end to the possibility of extending the Skytrain to Don Meuang.............Bugger!!!

I feel your pain. I feel your pain.

I've always used Don Mueang for domestic flights. Now going all the way to Suvarnabhumi is gonna make my taxi ride longer and more expensive. Tsk Tsk

So presumably, this news means an end to the possibility of extending the Skytrain to Don Meuang.............Bugger!!!

Maaaate! If you wanted to catch a train at DM all you had to do was to walk across the road bridge and down onto the platform, My trips to Den Chai were a dream with better service than Thai airlines. If you're a little bit clever you could smoke all the way :D

Going into town only costs THB 19 and any train going in will do! :o