Sleepless Nights Ahead For Bohpud & Gecko Fire & Threads

NALAK

I usually just lurk here but this thread has really got my back up. Now... I'm not averse to a party or two but what I am averse to is this... After a member of the established ex-pat community on the island has raised a couple of concerns, the two louts involved with the Gecko bar have responded with lies (by all accounts), veiled threats and generally aggressive attitudes. Although it's widely accepted that popping too many happy pills makes the taker aggressive long term so their replies are understandable.

To be entirely honest I haven't heard the "come & say it to my face" & "my friends & family" lines since I was at school & even then it was lame. If you really want to sort things out in a physical manner then you should be man enough to meet away from your own territory and go alone.

To you guys who are close enough to hear their "un-amplified stereo system" (oh my god... whoever invented that technology is in line to be the next Bill Gates), invest in a pair of earplugs for the short term and just make sure you don't end up like that poor german guy on Phangan. To the fanboys... it's very obvious that you're just friends of the owner & here to blindly defend. To the Gecko... I really do hope that you see how much damage you've done to yourselves on this site. You'll get nowhere on this island without the support of the ex-pats here & you've already made a whole lot of enemies with your responses. Very nasty tempers both of you, a couple of weeks in the local Wat might help you out.

To the thaivisa samui collective... i believe an experiment in word of mouth marketing in in order.

Your points are of course well taken and understood. I think however, I am more worried that this may turn out to be a "poor German guy on Phangan" in reverse scenario. I think in this case it is the "silent" majority who will eventually get their way. Too much money invested up there at risk, too many kid's sleep being disturbed and even the Buffalo fighting brigade in front are getting p----d off. Time will tell, but as I have mentioned so many times before, I do hope it gets resolved in a peaceful way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I notice the Island is now littered with posters and sign posts to their next big event on the 2nd June! Let's see if they are as good at taking them down as they are at putting them up!

Some of the "Dreamfield" posters are still up from God knows when.

Not only do we have to put up with their s--t till 4 am on the 3rd June but we now have to put up with their lovely posters all over the place as well as their delightful orange flags and poles littering up the environment. Nice!

There is a rumour of serious discontent from the Thais and that there will be attempts to prevent people from arriving at the event but there will be a presence on the access in the early hours to "pick off" the worse for wear as they leave. Definitely not going now.

There is a rumour of serious discontent from the Thais and that there will be attempts to prevent people from arriving at the event but there will be a presence on the access in the early hours to "pick off" the worse for wear as they leave. Definitely not going now.

I like your style, rysamui. Fabricate a rumor to plant that seed of doubt in people's minds. My hat's off to you. Brilliant! (and I am serious)

Aha... now it all makes sense. We've been wondering where the noise was coming from. So it'll be interesting to see what happens tomorrow night.

Out of interest - what's the law here? Is it the same as the UK where noise shouldn't be heard outside a property between 11pm and 8am?

Don't you mean the rumour that the BIB will be waiting near the entrance to search all the attendees to make sure they don't have anything they shouldn't.....

......... and then asking all the people that are leaving to please pee in this little cup to ensure that they haven't consumed anything they shouldn't.... :D:D

Now, "Rumours" like THAT will seriously affect attendance....... :)

Edited by smartiemarty

Don't you mean the rumour that the BIB will be waiting near the entrance to search all the attendees to make sure they don't have anything they shouldn't.....

......... and then asking all the people that are leaving to please pee in this little cup to ensure that they haven't consumed anything they shouldn't.... :D:D

Now, "Rumours" like THAT will seriously affect attendance....... :)

What comes around, goes around!

Wow posters around the island, and pickups with music driving around to promote a (infrequent) party - how outrageous! On a quiet and pristine tropical island where you would otherwise never see a 30 foot trailer driving round all day banging out dance music for Escape, Sound Bar, Solo Pub, Monkey Bay, Ice Bar, Muay Thai, Coyote etc etc etc. And of course we'll probably start seeing posters plastered everywhere for these previously purely word of mouth parties, fights, events and festivals - and all because these inconsiderate guys have started doing it. I don't belieeeve it!

victormeldrew0410_468x493.jpg

Edited by danw

WOW....

this is the first time iv had the pleasure of seeing this thread, have to say when i move to samui i will definatly be attending a few of the nights at Gecko but appriciate having it built next to your peacefull villa would be a nightmare....

Gecko bar is my friend on facebook and the party tonight ends at 4 am according to them...... !

Wow posters around the island, and pickups with music driving around to promote a (infrequent) party - how outrageous! On a quiet and pristine tropical island where you would otherwise never see a 30 foot trailer driving round all day banging out dance music for Escape, Sound Bar, Solo Pub, Monkey Bay, Ice Bar, Muay Thai, Coyote etc etc etc. And of course we'll probably start seeing posters plastered everywhere for these previously purely word of mouth parties, fights, events and festivals - and all because these inconsiderate guys have started doing it. I don't belieeeve it!

victormeldrew0410_468x493.jpg

And? Oh I see! you mean, as in "Just another fly tipper" or "Just another ars---le who throws their rubbish out the car window" or " Just another pr--k who doen't give a <deleted>> about anybody else" Oh right! I see your reasoning! I see that you are clearly a well brought up sort of guy with a great education! Congratulations! Just please don't get involved in anything that affects the rest of the world. Thanks.

I didn't hear any noise coming from last night's even that was held. Did anyone living closer get disturbed?

If not then perhaps there isn't going to be quite such a big issue after all?? Maybe the owners have taken the local residents into consideration?

And? Oh I see! you mean, as in "Just another fly tipper" or "Just another ars---le who throws their rubbish out the car window" or " Just another pr--k who doen't give a <deleted>> about anybody else" Oh right! I see your reasoning! I see that you are clearly a well brought up sort of guy with a great education! Congratulations! Just please don't get involved in anything that affects the rest of the world. Thanks.

Oh dear, not kept awake and looking for a new bugbear huh?

You're acting as if Gecko are behaving in an entirely "outrageous" manner, when they are doing nothing more than any other company in a similar field (and many others) has done for years [referring purely to the postering you highlighted a few days ago]. In terms of the original issue with them, as LolaSamui has already noted this party was certainly quieter last night - they have clearly done something to appease nearby resident, so why not tone your noise down too? It offends me :).

Whilst I see your analogy to fly tipping, it's hardly the same thing really, is it? Does construction noise annoy you? Should construction be banned? How about dogs barking? Pet-hanasia? Babies Crying? Sterilisation? What about their rights to run a business? Why, exactly, shouldn't they be allowed to put up posters?

Oh right! I see your reasoning! I see that you are clearly a well brought up sort of guy with a great education! Congratulations! Just please don't get involved in anything that affects the rest of the world. Thanks.

Mmm passive aggression on thaivisa, how refreshing! - Got all my GCSE's (assisted places scheme) thank you very much for the congratulations! Thanks also for the comments on my upbringing, you'll be glad to know I religiously poop-n-scoop.

meldrew.jpg

Edited by danw

You're acting as if Gecko are behaving in an entirely "outrageous" manner, when they are doing nothing more than any other company in a similar field (and many others) has done for years [referring purely to the postering you highlighted a few days ago]. In terms of the original issue with them, as LolaSamui has already noted this party was certainly quieter last night - they have clearly done something to appease nearby resident, so why not tone your noise down too? It offends me :) .

Whilst I see your analogy to fly tipping, it's hardly the same thing really, is it? Does construction noise annoy you? Should construction be banned? How about dogs barking? Pet-hanasia? Babies Crying? Sterilisation? What about their rights to run a business? Why, exactly, shouldn't they be allowed to put up posters?

Oh right! I see your reasoning! I see that you are clearly a well brought up sort of guy with a great education! Congratulations! Just please don't get involved in anything that affects the rest of the world. Thanks.

Mmm passive aggression on thaivisa, how refreshing! - Got all my GCSE's (assisted places scheme) thank you very much for the congratulations! Thanks also for the comments on my upbringing, you'll be glad to know I religiously poop-n-scoop.

meldrew.jpg

Whilst your education has clearly furnished you with the ability to read, it has clearly not enabled you to understand the meaning of words. Would you please care to note that in my original post on this issue of posters, my main concern was wondering whether they would take any responsibility for taking them down. I would have thought that a dedicated "pooper scooper" such as yourself might have considered this to be the right thing to do.

However I must say that I don't hold up much hope, as the posters for the other inspired mountain music event (Dreamfields) are still up and looking delightful in the countryside. I am really really sorry that, if this sort of thing is fine with you, that you are offended that it is not fine with me!

May I take this opportunity to address some of your other "inspired" comments.

Please note that Lola made a personal statement that she herself had not been affected by the noise. However if you would care to put your reading skills to the test once more you may care to note that she went on to ask whether anyone closer to the venue was disturbed in any way. You did not however not wait for any answers. In fact you probably will NOT be interested to know that in fact, nearer to the venue it was in fact loud enough to disturb the sleep of many people and their children before their working and school day, well into the early hours. This will of course be of no concern to you. I quite understand that. So no, I am not looking for another bugbear because I got a lot of sleep (In answer to your question).

You made the point that you had the ability to understand my analogy to fly tipping but that you thought it was "hardly the same thing really". You then proceeded by making completely bizarre analogies yourself!

1) Construction noise is something that most people would not find pleasant, but to my knowledge, building rarely goes on in Samui from 8pm till 4am. So, in answer to your question, although I think there is too much going on, I would not be able to justify banning construction for noise reasons alone.

2) Although some dogs are more intelligent than some people I know, sadly, God did not give them the same abilities to think in quite the same way as humans. Their barking is often a response mechanism based on fear, protectionism or greeting rather than a act that they know will disturb hundreds and possibly thousands of people around them. So no, as a dog lover, I would not have dogs wiped out. Also I have never yet come accross a dog that can quite match the volume of a DJ's speakers. In other words, a dog is nowhere near as loud as a gecko.

3) Babies, I thought you might understand, have not yet fully developed all their senses. The poor things don't really think they are disturbing people. They are usually just hungry or unwell. So no, I would not advocate sterilization of the human species. They too cannot produce quite the same levels of volume, though it has to be said the volume the do create is often at an "un Godly" hour.

I am truly sorry if my "noise" offends you. However if you truly feel a noiseless comment on a forum that does not suit you personally is as offensive as one that keeps hundreds of people awake in a previously quiet residential area until the early hours of the morning, then frankly, I rest my case.

You're acting as if Gecko are behaving in an entirely "outrageous" manner, when they are doing nothing more than any other company in a similar field (and many others) has done for years [referring purely to the postering you highlighted a few days ago]. In terms of the original issue with them, as LolaSamui has already noted this party was certainly quieter last night - they have clearly done something to appease nearby resident, so why not tone your noise down too? It offends me :D .

meldrew.jpg

Whilst your education has clearly furnished you with the ability to read, it has clearly not enabled you to understand the meaning of words. Would you please care to note that in my original post on this issue of posters, my main concern was wondering whether they would take any responsibility for taking them down. I would have thought that a dedicated "pooper scooper" such as yourself might have considered this to be the right thing to do.

However I must say that I don't hold up much hope, as the posters for the other inspired mountain music event (Dreamfields) are still up and looking delightful in the countryside. I am really really sorry that, if this sort of thing is fine with you, that you are offended that it is not fine with me!

May I take this opportunity to address some of your other "inspired" comments.

Please note that Lola made a personal statement that she herself had not been affected by the noise. However if you would care to put your reading skills to the test once more you may care to note that she went on to ask whether anyone closer to the venue was disturbed in any way. You did not however not wait for any answers. In fact you probably will NOT be interested to know that in fact, nearer to the venue it was in fact loud enough to disturb the sleep of many people and their children before their working and school day, well into the early hours. This will of course be of no concern to you. I quite understand that. So no, I am not looking for another bugbear because I got a lot of sleep (In answer to your question).

You made the point that you had the ability to understand my analogy to fly tipping but that you thought it was "hardly the same thing really". You then proceeded by making completely bizarre analogies yourself!

1) Construction noise is something that most people would not find pleasant, but to my knowledge, building rarely goes on in Samui from 8pm till 4am. So, in answer to your question, although I think there is too much going on, I would not be able to justify banning construction for noise reasons alone.

2) Although some dogs are more intelligent than some people I know, sadly, God did not give them the same abilities to think in quite the same way as humans. Their barking is often a response mechanism based on fear, protectionism or greeting rather than a act that they know will disturb hundreds and possibly thousands of people around them. So no, as a dog lover, I would not have dogs wiped out. Also I have never yet come accross a dog that can quite match the volume of a DJ's speakers. In other words, a dog is nowhere near as loud as a gecko.

3) Babies, I thought you might understand, have not yet fully developed all their senses. The poor things don't really think they are disturbing people. They are usually just hungry or unwell. So no, I would not advocate sterilization of the human species. They too cannot produce quite the same levels of volume, though it has to be said the volume the do create is often at an "un Godly" hour.

I am truly sorry if my "noise" offends you. However if you truly feel a noiseless comment on a forum that does not suit you personally is as offensive as one that keeps hundreds of people awake in a previously quiet residential area until the early hours of the morning, then frankly, I rest my case.

:):D:D

:D:D:D:D

I did only post about my own experience of last night - I was not disturbed by the noise but I am further away than a lot of other residents.

Is there some kind of Samui residents group? A community association or something along those lines? If not, perhaps I can make a suggestion that those people that are concerned about this and other matters affecting the community can form some sort of group and hold a monthly or bi-monthly meeting where these issues can be raised, discussed and an appropriate course of action taken? It would not have to be anything too official but it might offer an opportunity for these kinds of issues to be resolved in a productive manner. Certainly if those involved in businesses that are affecting the community would put in an appearance and listen to the general view of residents it might serve to build better community relationships?

The group could also be a great platform for positive action on Samui as well as a place to sort out problems.

What do people think? Is this already in place on the island?

Lola Samui:

Out of interest - what's the law here? Is it the same as the UK where noise shouldn't be heard outside a property between 11pm and 8am?

Yes, quite. Offenders are taken away, tarred and feathered, then flogged with a cat 'o nine tails and then made to memorize the Old Testament. Just like the UK.

My house is just down the hill from this venue.

I have to say that at the last party these inconsiderates threw.

I had to turn my tv up one whole bar....to hear what was going on.

On retiring to bed around midnight i was horrified to see the missus was not kept awake and we both slept well.

Maybe my house is in some sort of freak acoustic zone, maybe im going deaf, maybe its not really a big deal...........

The visiting market near the temple is far more noisy.....

Anyhow next party they throw im going to march up the hill order a stiff gin and tonic and sit there and look nerdy......that will learn them....

Edited by stiggy

My house is just down the hill from this venue.

I have to say that at the last party these inconsiderates threw.

I had to turn my tv up one whole bar....to hear what was going on.

On retiring to bed around midnight i was horrified to see the missus was not kept awake and we both slept well.

Maybe my house is in some sort of freak acoustic zone, maybe im going deaf, maybe its not really a big deal...........

The visiting market near the temple is far more noisy.....

Anyhow next party they throw im going to march up the hill order a stiff gin and tonic and sit there and look nerdy......that will learn them....

I certainly envy you for your "freak acoustic zone" . Sadly others of us are not as lucky. Enjoy your stiff G & T!

the number of nights you actually lose sleep to this will be significantly fewer than the number of nights you laugh yourself to sleep knowing that a fool and his money are soon parted. will be out of business before it gets started.

they should rename that road soi mockery.

today i noticed a lot of Gecko orange flags on the old monkey theatre road, i followed the signs dreading another late night party like dreamfeilds last year. when i got there it was worse, its a purpose built out door nightclub and its a big one. the owner came over talking to us about how proud he was of his new venture. i asked how many times per week, reply every night, i asked what time he going to close, when last farang go was the reply. last straw for me i cannot tolerate that noise every night. he reckons fully open in 3 months, worth a look if you are out that way. i would have thought sound bar, solo, bamboo, monkey bar, ark bar, lake party etc were enough without sticking one on the side of a mountain in the jungle thats going to keep hundreds awake every night and morning.

Hua Hin here i come finally...

i went and had a look,went in at 1100pm,maybe 6 people there ,ordered a drink -2 tigers,got charged 300 bht,drank my beer and left,come on 150 bht for a tiger?i dont care if you paid a dj 150000 bht for a night work ,thats bullshit prices,i would not charge you 5x the price for the things i sell on koh samui,you would be pissed off too.anyway good luck,but most people will drink a lot more at 100 bht than a very steep 150 bht,you lost at least 1200 bht from 1 customer charging those hi-so prices.

danw:

Why, exactly, shouldn't they be allowed to put up posters?

I have to admit that seeing posters still up for some Songkran events is just visual pollution. So for the "exactly," try: If you can't pick up your rubbish when the event is over, don't plaster it all over creation in the first place.

today i noticed a lot of Gecko orange flags on the old monkey theatre road, i followed the signs dreading another late night party like dreamfeilds last year. when i got there it was worse, its a purpose built out door nightclub and its a big one. the owner came over talking to us about how proud he was of his new venture. i asked how many times per week, reply every night, i asked what time he going to close, when last farang go was the reply. last straw for me i cannot tolerate that noise every night. he reckons fully open in 3 months, worth a look if you are out that way. i would have thought sound bar, solo, bamboo, monkey bar, ark bar, lake party etc were enough without sticking one on the side of a mountain in the jungle thats going to keep hundreds awake every night and morning.

Hua Hin here i come finally...

Phew! :D It's just taken me over an hour to read through all this and I must say being a resident myself on the hill in question I think this is being a bit blown out of proportion!

We've heard the music on a couple of occasions but it hasn't been loud enough to lose sleep for us and I live a stones throw from the place. I actually went to the party last week with my Thai friends from the fishermans village. They are friends with the Thai lady and English guy that owns the place and I was introduced to them. The Thai friends I was with have a very big say in what happens in Bophut and I was introduced as "This is my sister/brother...."

I asked the owners what their plans were for the place and it sounds like they're doing a kind of Niki beach style

(but on the hillside) with a pool and restaurant. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing it finished.

From what they were saying, they will be doing a very chilled out place mostly for people they know in the music industry as they are building a recording studio that I had the pleasure of seeing. It seems to me they're very well connected in that business. I'm not really a big fan of dance music but the music here at the party was very good.

The party was full of people that live on the island and there was a very warm and friendly atmosphere.

I was very surprised to see over 150 people there on a Tuesday night especially how dead it is on Samui right now.

The guy was telling me that he plans to have an accoustic band and bring in well known singers rather than djs.

They have Dirty Vegas playing an accoustic gig there in september. They are one of my favourite bands and I think it's great for this island. I don't think anyone has ever brought Grammy award winners over here before.

They did however say that they would be doing the odd party once a month maybe, as they're obviously having a hard time making any money until they have the work finished.

If it's only once a month is that so bad?

I've been kept awake far more from the little house below them with the green roof blasting out distorted karaoke.

I have been to the old place they had on Bophut beach on quite a few occations but never spoke to the owners.

I used to walk my dog along the beach and stop there for a massage and lunch sometimes. The music was always very chilled out during the day times.

As a designer myself, I actually think the new building is a lot better. Very beautiful roof and very island style unlike some of the red, green, blue roofed eye sores sticking out of the hill.

I noticed they have taken down the posters too which is a good sign.

I must say, I too was a bit worried about that!

It was very disturbing to see people on here were trying to sabotage their party with threats of different kinds :)

You should be ashamed of yourselves!

I think we should all give them the chance to prove themselves. I actually found them very pleasant people.

Peace be with you :D

For associates of the Gecko Bar to be posting on this forum can only mean they are scared!

I will bet anyone they have not received formal approval for this venue as yet and any discontent from the local residents could be a serious threat to their licensing.

The best bet to stop this venue proceeding would be lodge official complaints...LOUDLY, as many residents as you can gather.

Used to have the black moon party right next door to my house years and years ago. We would find our house surrounded by garbage, people pooing and peeing in our garden because there weren't enough toilet facilities at the party and our door literally vibrated in its frame from the music it was so loud.

So yes, once a month can be pretty bad.

Used to have the black moon party right next door to my house years and years ago. We would find our house surrounded by garbage, people pooing and peeing in our garden because there weren't enough toilet facilities at the party and our door literally vibrated in its frame from the music it was so loud.

So yes, once a month can be pretty bad.

I pee in the back of a bungalow, haad rin in 1999, I hope it was not close to your home. :)

I have been reading Thai Visa for several years, decided to finally join & try to contribute to the forum.

I have been reading this thread with intense interest since it's start , I feel compelled to answer some of the posters on here.

I also am a resident on Bophut hills & am affected by the music. Not as much as when they first started, but enough to keep you awake when they start blaring at midnight & increasing volume at 3 am.

Putting this sort of venue in a residential area is bound to attract criticism & complaints, the owners would have been naïve to think otherwise.

Every person is entitled to make a living, never deny this. But think before you build your business in an area that is not suitable for your activities. So many varying versions of what is going to happen have been mentioned on here, one does not know what to believe.

Have read many posts, some of which have been deleted by moderators & some of the contents are hilarious to say the least.

Now to Lemonbonbon 's little article, this is what I will call it for now , there are some points I would like to raise.

1/ you don't mind it, because the noise does not affect you.

It wouldn't anyway if you are present at the function.

2/ you mention threats by other posters here on the forum aimed towards the venue & it's owners.

Well you obviously have not read every post & were lucky to miss the deleted ones. People associated with the venue, are not shy to voice their opinions either or certain manner of solving a dispute.

I agree Gary tried to soften the situation, but the damage was done.Maybe he should approach the locals to hear their grievances , instead of waiting for them to approach him.

3/Now this is an interesting one:

The Thai friends I was with have a very big say in what happens in Bophut and I was introduced as "This is my sister/brother...."

Please explain this to me, as I see it as a very subtle way of conveying a warning (threat) across.

4/ another contrary point you make, regarding noise level. You attended the venue so it was fine.

So do you really think, in the hills, with the stillness of the night, some echo effect 150 people & music are stealthy? Oh please tell me you are not serious.

As for you living a stone's throw away & not being so affected, it must be behind a ridge or a hill.

I just find your article very inaccurate . Advocating activities they are not licensed to do, it's ok, because of whom they know?

Please come back & talk to me when it get's a little bothersome for you or the wind changes.

Edited by Oak

I have been reading Thai Visa for several years, decided to finally join & try to contribute to the forum.

I have been reading this thread with intense interest since it's start , I feel compelled to answer some of the posters on here.

I also am a resident on Bophut hills & am affected by the music. Not as much as when they first started, but enough to keep you awake when they start blaring at midnight & increasing volume at 3 am.

Putting this sort of venue in a residential area is bound to attract criticism & complaints, the owners would have been naïve to think otherwise.

Every person is entitled to make a living, never deny this. But think before you build your business in an area that is not suitable for your activities. So many varying versions of what is going to happen have been mentioned on here, one does not know what to believe.

[/size]

Have read many posts, some of which have been deleted by moderators & some of the contents are hilarious to say the least.

Now to Lemonbonbon 's little article, this is what I will call it for now , there are some points I would like to raise.

1/ you don't mind it, because the noise does not affect you.

It wouldn't anyway if you are present at the function.

2/ you mention threats by other posters here on the forum aimed towards the venue & it's owners.

Well you obviously have not read every post & were lucky to miss the deleted ones. People associated with the venue, are not shy to voice their opinions either or certain manner of solving a dispute.

I agree Gary tried to soften the situation, but the damage was done.Maybe he should approach the locals to hear their grievances , instead of waiting for them to approach him.

3/Now this is an interesting one:

The Thai friends I was with have a very big say in what happens in Bophut and I was introduced as "This is my sister/brother...."

Please explain this to me, as I see it as a very subtle way of conveying a warning (threat) across.

4/ another contrary point you make, regarding noise level. You attended the venue so it was fine.

So do you really think, in the hills, with the stillness of the night, some echo effect 150 people & music are stealthy? Oh please tell me you are not serious.

As for you living a stone's throw away & not being so affected, it must be behind a ridge or a hill.

I just find your article very inaccurate . Advocating activities they are not licensed to do, it's ok, because of whom they know?

Please come back & talk to me when it get's a little bothersome for you or the wind changes.

I hardly think going to a place once makes me an associate but then whatever!

In my "Article" as you put it... What was inaccurate?

Now this IS an