Marriage Visa

Just out of curiosity ............ Didn't I read that the money per month for a married couple could also come from a Thai business ? If my wife runs a business & she is Thai & we show say 40-70k baht a month wouldn't that qualify?

Not since November 25th 2008. It now has to be the Husbands money or income. :o

Thank You LB

That explains it as my info was from 6/08

Too bad as it seemed like a easier way to go for the most part.

I remember someone told me he & his wife paid about 1000 THB every 6 months in tax is all.

Yes. It is a backwards step as it penalises a lot of Married Couples and Families.

Last week I applied for a Non_imm "O" visa in the UK and showed my marriage certificate but no proof of funds on the understanding that I was getting a "marriage visa". I was told that I still needed to go to the border every 90 days, not to the immigration office. Does this sound right?

Yes, look at the visa in your passport. You have a non-Immigrant "O" (based on marriage). It probably also says multiple. This means every time you travel to Thailand while your visa is valid you get a permission to stay for 90 days.

At immigration in Thailand you can extend your permission to stay to one year if you can show either an income of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a Thai bank for at least 2 months.

Last week I applied for a Non_imm "O" visa in the UK and showed my marriage certificate but no proof of funds on the understanding that I was getting a "marriage visa". I was told that I still needed to go to the border every 90 days, not to the immigration office. Does this sound right?

You have a multiple entry non immigrant O visa based upon marriage that allows you to enter the country for 90 days at a time. After that 90 you have to leave and re-enter to get another 90 days.

You can get a 1 year extension of stay for any of your 90 day entries as mentioned earlier in this topic.

I can tell you what it is like if the hubby and wife are both Westerners. I (wife) work at a university in Bangkok. My university prepares the documents (contract, passport copies, copy of diploma, resume, birth certificate) for immigration- I get an non-B. For my husband I had to prepare all the documents the university used for my visa and bring original and copy of both b-certificates, our marriage license, and an signed affidavit from my embassy (US) stating that my husband is my husband and that I needed him to be able to stay with me here in Thailand- basically stating the obvious. He was issued and non-O and we both have to check in every 90 days. He does not have to leave the country and we did not have to provide any financial prowess. It may be different for schools/universities than businesses. But I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was.

However, I should add that in 2004, I was told at immigration that my husband could not get a non-immigrant visa because, "in Thailand men take care of women." As a result, it was the 90-day tourist visa run.

Are there any differences between a marrage visa and a retirement visa as far as requirements go (besides having a wife and being over 50)?

Yes,

marriage: 40,000 a month or 400,000 in the bank

retirement: 65,000 a month or 800,000 in the bank or a combination of both, totaling 800,000

But an extension based on marriage requires more paperwork and you only get an extension of 30 days while they consider the aplication and they give you the rest of the year after final approval. So it is always 2 trips.

Are there any differences between a marrage visa and a retirement visa as far as requirements go (besides having a wife and being over 50)?
For a visa which you get at an embassy/consulate the only difference would be showing the marriage certificate and a copy of the spouse's ID card or passport.

marriage: 40,000 a month or 400,000 in the bank

retirement: 65,000 a month or 800,000 in the bank or a combination of both, totaling 800,000

But an extension based on marriage requires more paperwork and you only get an extension of 30 days while they consider the aplication and they give you the rest of the year after final approval. So it is always 2 trips.

Thanks Mario - a big difference!

Just wondering as by the time I'm there fulltime (with Thai wife) I'll probably be over 50.

Cheers YBB

Edited by Youbloodybeauty

Hello all, about the rule "marriage: 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a THAI bank"

Can I as a foreigner get a Thai-bankaccount on my name ?

I remember 3years ago a bank (siam commercial bank) wouldn,t give me one. :o

Yes, you can. But some banks are more difficult then others. Might help if you have a certificate of residence from your embassy, stating that you live in Thailand.

Hello all, about the rule "marriage: 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a THAI bank"

Can I as a foreigner get a Thai-bankaccount on my name ?

I remember 3years ago a bank (siam commercial bank) wouldn,t give me one. :o

Yes, you can. But some banks are more difficult then others. Might help if you have a certificate of residence from your embassy, stating that you live in Thailand.

Or a Certificate of Residence from immigration.

Application form DOC format: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm18.doc

PDF: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm18.pdf

See this link to Bangkok Bank website that gives info on opening accounts. This is the best info I found on any bank website. I think you could use this info as a guidline for any bank. In fact you might want to print it out and take it with you to show them.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...nk+Accounts.htm

hmmm okay when i understand the bangkokbank info correctly ... i have to get first 1 or 2 :

1. If you are living in Thailand, you need to bring a residence permit or a Certificate of Residence.
  2. If you are a tourist or a student, you need to bring a letter of recommendation as follows:

option 1. i,m not living in thailand because i don,t have the mairriagevisa yet so how can i give a residence adress ??

option 2. A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad, acceptable to Bangkok Bank, sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT

or A letter of recommendation from a reputable organization located in Thailand such as an embassy or an international organization;

----------------------

My thai brother in law is a manager from the Tapioca company TTDI

A letter recomdation from him wil help ?

Edited by laolao

Hi - Can I add an extra aspect into this question?

I currently have a Non-Imm O and am about to get my first 1 year extension. (Is that the correct term?)

I will soon have the necessary documents to show the necessary income, etc - that is all no problem.

But what I want to know is, once I am on this new (for me) form of staying in Thailand - what are the rules for travelling?

Can I pop across the border and back whenever I want? Can I take short trips into neighbouring countries? Can I leave Thailand for a month or two and come back? What if I need to leave for 3 or 4 months?

Could someone please explain the rules and ins and outs of this aspect please as I am ????????

Thanks

:o

hmmm okay when i understand the bangkokbank info correctly ... i have to get first 1 or 2 :

1. If you are living in Thailand, you need to bring a residence permit or a Certificate of Residence.
  2. If you are a tourist or a student, you need to bring a letter of recommendation as follows:
    option 1. i,m not living in thailand because i don,t have the mairriagevisa yet so how can i give a residence adress ??
    option 2. A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad, acceptable to Bangkok Bank, sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT
    or A letter of recommendation from a reputable organization located in Thailand such as an embassy or an international organization;
    ----------------------

What kind of visa do you have now? If you have a non-o you can get the certificate of residence from immigration. Your embassy can also do it even with a tourist visa.

You live some where. Use the address that is given in your wifes haouse book.

It also says a letter of reccomendation from a customer. Does you wife have a bank acciunt. If yes then that is the first bank I would try. If am sure your brother in law has a bank account.

I didn't suggest only Bangkok Bank.

Lots of people have opened bank accounts with none of the things mentioned you have to keep trying different banks and branches.

Hi - Can I add an extra aspect into this question?

I currently have a Non-Imm O and am about to get my first 1 year extension. (Is that the correct term?)

I will soon have the necessary documents to show the necessary income, etc - that is all no problem.

But what I want to know is, once I am on this new (for me) form of staying in Thailand - what are the rules for travelling?

Can I pop across the border and back whenever I want? Can I take short trips into neighbouring countries? Can I leave Thailand for a month or two and come back? What if I need to leave for 3 or 4 months?

Could someone please explain the rules and ins and outs of this aspect please as I am ????????

Thanks

:o

Get a multiple re-entry permit at immigration when you get your extension. One photo and 3800 baht.

With that you can leave and re-enter as many times as you want for the length of your extension.

----------------------

Do understand that you don't need to have the money in the bank when you are applying for a visa, only when you apply for an extension of stay at immigration in Thailand it self. Then it has to be there for at least 2 months. You will get permission to stay for 90 days, that will give you enough time to open up a bank account

Edit:

For your visa you just need to show your marriage certificate and in Amsterdam maybe even that not.

This is exactly what was required from me at Pattaya for an application for extension made in December 2008 and granted mid January 2009 for one year.

Not all immigration offices require as much, some require more, but this was what was required and was successful for me at Pattaya. Good luck.

Immigration December 2008, for Foriegeners Married to a Thai .

Requirements;

1) Form TM7 – Temporary Stay, completed both sides, 2 sets, photocopies of this form not allowed, must be 2 original forms.

2) 2 of, 6cm x 4cm Passport style photos, one attached to each of the TM7 forms.

3) Evidence photos, Evidence of together, in Bedroom, in Living room, in Kitchen, Outside house showing house number, 2 sets.

4) Bank book, front page showing account holders name – NO JOINT ACCOUNTS ANYMORE, plus last 2 or 3 pages, 2 sets.

Must show a minimum of 400,000 baht deposited for a minimum of 2 months prior to application, or certified evidence of a minimum of 40,000 Baht / month income – NOT A COMBINATION OF BOTH.

5) Bank letter – confirming your account status above, dated as near as possible to the same day of application, and must correspond to what the book says. 2 copies.

6) Passport – Front page with photo

All stamped pages

TM card

Non IMM Visa

Again 2 copies of all.

7) Marriage certificate, if not in Thai, must have certified Thai translation, certified by the Ministry of foreign affairs in BKK, 2 Copies

8) House book (blue book) showing Wife as resident of that property. 2 Copies

9) Wife’s ID card. 2 Copies

10)Map of house location. 2 copies.

Hope this helps. :o

• 1 month later...
This is exactly what was required from me at Pattaya for an application for extension made in December 2008 and granted mid January 2009 for one year.

Not all immigration offices require as much, some require more, but this was what was required and was successful for me at Pattaya. Good luck.

Requirements;

1) Form TM7 – Temporary Stay, completed both sides, 2 sets, photocopies of this form not allowed, must be 2 original forms.

2) 2 of, 6cm x 4cm Passport style photos, one attached to each of the TM7 forms.

3) Evidence photos, Evidence of together, in Bedroom, in Living room, in Kitchen, Outside house showing house number, 2 sets.

4) Bank book, front page showing account holders name – NO JOINT ACCOUNTS ANYMORE, plus last 2 or 3 pages, 2 sets.

Must show a minimum of 400,000 baht deposited for a minimum of 2 months prior to application, or certified evidence of a minimum of 40,000 Baht / month income – NOT A COMBINATION OF BOTH.

5) Bank letter – confirming your account status above, dated as near as possible to the same day of application, and must correspond to what the book says. 2 copies.

All stamped pages

TM card

Non IMM Visa

Again 2 copies of all.

7) Marriage certificate, if not in Thai, must have certified Thai translation, certified by the Ministry of foreign affairs in BKK, 2 Copies

9) Wife's ID card. 2 Copies

This is strange. I got 1 year marriage visa in Chiangmai. Only required marrage certificate and letter from my accountant certifying I had income of Bt40,000 per month. Absolutely nothing else.

Requirements;

All stamped pages

TM card

Non IMM Visa

Again 2 copies of all.

9) Wife's ID card. 2 Copies

This is strange. I got 1 year marriage visa in Chiangmai. Only required marrage certificate and letter from my accountant certifying I had income of Bt40,000 per month. Absolutely nothing else.

What you did is strange.It is certainly not the norm.