Jump to content

Settlement Or Registration For Son

Recommended Posts

I was hoping someone could suggest what is the best thing for my son and i to do.....

I have a 5 year old son with i Thai woman.

We were never married and split up 2 years ago and i have taken care of him since then.

We live in Bangkok but now need to go and live in England with the full support of his mother. Due to slightly unusual circumstances we need to leave quite suddenley....in about a months time.

At present he only has a Thai passport.

Following some advice from a helpful chap on here i was going to go to go to England on a 6 month family visit visa then registar his birth while we were there and get his passport. As me and his mother were not married i am aware this is discretionary but it is possible under the circumstances. Then obtain his passport...leave the country and enter on his new UK passport.

A friend of mine in the UK has contacted the relevant authority in the UK to ask and they say that a settlement visa is the way to go.

Now i'm totaly confused as to what to do for the best.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You should at least try and contact the embassy and explain the situation. They might be able to help you.

It only takes 10 days to get a passport after the application goes in.

As me and his mother were never married and he was born before July 1st 2006.....it is discretionary as to whether i can register him as a British citizen.

It should be possible but this process takes up to 4 months

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems the OP understands the position better than those here giving advice which evidently they are unqualified to provide, well meaning though it is.

An application to register for British citizenship must be made to the UKBA on form MN1 and would be considered under section 3(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981. The grant of which is discretionary but given the amendment introduced on 1/7/06 which allowed both parents to pass on their citizenship irrespective of whether or not they were married the application would normally be granted to those born before the 1/7/06 provided, inter alia, paternity is beyond doubt.

In the OP's circs there is no automatic right to citizenship which has evidently confused other posters.

An application for settlement is quite redundant. The OP is right in anticipating a delay of approx. 3 months plus but there it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Assuming all the paperwork is in order, including a court or Ampur document granting you sole custody and a letter from his mother granting her consent, then a settlement visa may very well be issued without the need for an interview and within 10 to 15 working days.

See Chapter 14 - Settlement entry for children and for how/where to apply UK Visa Application Centre.

If the circumstances warrant, it may be possible to rush through his nationality and British passport. It certainly wont hurt to ask!

Consular contact

Consular Section

British Embassy

14 Wireless Road

Lumpini, Pathumwan

Bangkok 10330


Tel: +66 (0) 2 305 8333 Ext 2334, 2318

Fax: +66 (0) 2 255 6051

Email: [email protected]

Opening Hours:

Monday - Thursday 0800-1100, 1300-1530

Friday 0800 – 1200 only

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...